Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Memorial Stadium Renovation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 6, 2016, 02:44 PM   #1
IrishIllini
Banned
Posts: 165
Memorial Stadium Renovation Website







----------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. #Illini football recruits are being told there will be a nine-figure new football facility in south endzone by 2019.
https://twitter.com/JWernerScout/sta...41895751970816


Is this really happening at the University of ILLINOIS?!?! What a time to be alive!


Last edited by Dan; Oct 3, 2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added updates
IrishIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Bomb Squad 217
Banned
Posts: 1,422
Yeah, it would be top of the line. Is there money allocated for a complete remodel of the horseshoe? Bringing it closer? more seats? That could explain the huge amount.
Bomb Squad 217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Posts: 5,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb Squad 217 View Post
Yeah, it would be top of the line. Is there money allocated for a complete remodel of the horseshoe? Bringing it closer? more seats? That could explain the huge amount.
Even that...

I'm just waiting to see some renderings of what they have in mind. It's kind of a tricky thing with what they've already done in the North End Zone and the limited space available.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 08:37 AM   #4
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Woodridge, IL
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Even that...

I'm just waiting to see some renderings of what they have in mind. It's kind of a tricky thing with what they've already done in the North End Zone and the limited space available.
The last renovation was like $120 million? I can see this being 9 figures given they'll be knocking down, then building a new South end zone with all of those amenities and hopefully renovating the East concourse to match the West.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 01:32 PM   #5
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
Posts: 12,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb Squad 217 View Post
Yeah, it would be top of the line. Is there money allocated for a complete remodel of the horseshoe? Bringing it closer? more seats? That could explain the huge amount.
This had been in the works under Thomas. The idea was to build a new structure in the SEZ that would house a new dining facility, coaches offices and weight room. Don't know if the scope is still the same, but I'd imagine a lot of it will still include those items. Hopefully they can also improve the seating there as well.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Fighter of the Nightman
Fighter of the Nightman's Avatar
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 199
I'm a broken record on this, but fixing the horseshoe is literally what's holding back MS from being a truly great college football stadium.
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Hoppy2105
Banned
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I'm a broken record on this, but fixing the horseshoe is literally what's holding back MS from being a truly great college football stadium.
I would also like to see it enclosed all the way. Just personal preference for me and I doubt they do it but it would be something to help with the wind tunnel esque wind behavior that we have in MS.
Hoppy2105 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Posts: 5,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I'm a broken record on this, but fixing the horseshoe is literally what's holding back MS from being a truly great college football stadium.
Well, I dunno, Ron Guenther: The Structure in the other end zone is also a huge problem, but this project could do a lot of good.

Let the drumbeat for lowering the field level resume.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 09:16 PM   #9
Fighter of the Nightman
Fighter of the Nightman's Avatar
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Well, I dunno, Ron Guenther: The Structure in the other end zone is also a huge problem, but this project could do a lot of good.

Let the drumbeat for lowering the field level resume.
I think the structure is fine as long as it isn't where the students are seated like currently; that's the main problem in my eyes.
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 09:29 PM   #10
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Posts: 5,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I think the structure is fine as long as it isn't where the students are seated like currently; that's the main problem in my eyes.
I agree that moving the student section would significantly reduce the problem.

Just stick them in the other endzone and make the NEZ the section for the cheapo season tickets. Sitting people in numbered seats would disperse them throughout the section and make it far less embarrassing even when crowds aren't great (which is hopefully a problem of the past).
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 06:15 AM   #11
rhymeswithorange
rhymeswithorange's Avatar
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I think the structure is fine as long as it isn't where the students are seated like currently; that's the main problem in my eyes.
You're a master of karate and friendship to everyone!
rhymeswithorange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 07:49 AM   #12
sacraig
Mad Scientist
sacraig's Avatar
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 220
I wish they'd bulldoze that awful north end zone as well. What a terrible design that totally removes the students from the atmosphere. I was in Block I when they switched us from the sidelines to the NEZ and boy was it jarring. It felt like they were trying to remove us from the game entirely. We couldn't even go meet up with family without leaving the gates. Terrible.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 08:30 AM   #13
TheChiefRises
TheChiefRises's Avatar
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
I wish they'd bulldoze that awful north end zone as well. What a terrible design that totally removes the students from the atmosphere. I was in Block I when they switched us from the sidelines to the NEZ and boy was it jarring. It felt like they were trying to remove us from the game entirely. We couldn't even go meet up with family without leaving the gates. Terrible.
To be fair there's also a certain cool feeling about being only with students and not having to worry about random people turning and staring when you shout, go crazy, or do other student gameday related actions.

__________________
Proud Fighting Illini, Class of 2014
TheChiefRises is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 08:53 AM   #14
DoctorOrange
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChiefRises View Post
To be fair there's also a certain cool feeling about being only with students and not having to worry about random people turning and staring when you shout, go crazy, or do other student gameday related actions.
Meh. I liked being midfield and close up. I didn't like getting moved to the end zone. Plenty of crazy shenanigans happening in O block
DoctorOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
I agree that moving the student section would significantly reduce the problem.

Just stick them in the other endzone and make the NEZ the section for the cheapo season tickets. Sitting people in numbered seats would disperse them throughout the section and make it far less embarrassing even when crowds aren't great (which is hopefully a problem of the past).
Cover that thing with an O&B tarp until those seats are needed. When the horseshoe goes, the NEZ assumes the SEZ's duties, as per your suggestion.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:22 AM   #16
TownieMatt
CU Expat
TownieMatt's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,360
I was also a student when they built the NEZ stand. For a while there was still student seating on the sideline next to the north endzone (NE corner of the stadium next to the tunnel). I resisted moving to the NEZ stand as long as I could because I liked being right on the field, but by my senior year the only student seating was in the NEZ. It might be different if the students actually packed the NEZ, but as it is, there are just too few students at games to make it a good experience. I honestly think it's one of the reasons student attendance is down (along with a crappy team of course).

If I could wave a magic wand and redesign both end zone stands, I would demolish the horseshoe and build a new stand closer to the field that is entirely closed in and connected to the two sideline stands. I would also add seating in both the NE and NW corners of the stadium to close in that side as well. This probable wouldn't all much seating, but it would make the entire stadium closed in and create a much better atmosphere. Here's my incredibly amateurish rendering:


__________________
TownieMatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:26 AM   #17
IAmChrisFarley
Banned
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
I was also a student when they built the NEZ stand. For a while there was still student seating on the sideline next to the north endzone (NE corner of the stadium next to the tunnel). I resisted moving to the NEZ stand as long as I could because I liked being right on the field, but by my senior year the only student seating was in the NEZ. It might be different if the students actually packed the NEZ, but as it is, there are just too few students at games to make it a good experience. I honestly think it's one of the reasons student attendance is down (along with a crappy team of course).



If I could wave a magic wand and redesign both end zone stands, I would demolish the horseshoe and build a new stand closer to the field that is entirely closed in and connected to the two sideline stands. I would also add seating in both the NE and NW corners of the stadium to close in that side as well. This probable wouldn't all much seating, but it would make the entire stadium closed in and create a much better atmosphere. Here's my incredibly amateurish rendering:





That is a hell of a lot better than what we have now. I want all the fans to be right on top of the field.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IAmChrisFarley is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:37 AM   #18
GameOfThrows
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of the Nightman View Post
I'm a broken record on this, but fixing the horseshoe is literally what's holding back MS from being a truly great college football stadium.
+! and I'll keep +1ing as long as your broken record plays. We have to bring SEZ fans closer to the field to lock in some noise.
GameOfThrows is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:44 AM   #19
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Posts: 5,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacraig View Post
It felt like they were trying to remove us from the game entirely.
They were.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:09 AM   #20
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 33,628
Some other college football stadium projects-

Oklahoma - $370M - 3-phase major renovation
http://www.athleticbusiness.com/stad...enovation.html

Arkansas - $160M major renovation
http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog...dium-expansion

Duke - $100M - major renovation
http://today.duke.edu/2016/08/wallacewaderenovations

Purdue - $65M for new football complex, stadium renovation (price tag tbd) may begin next year
http://www.hammerandrails.com/2015/1...e-21st-century

Ohio State - $42M - stadium maintenance and upgrades, nothing major
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/genrel/032916aac.html

Penn State - major stadium renovation info probably to be announced this fall
http://wjactv.com/news/local/beaver-...wings-revealed



$120M-$150M - Illinois' 2008 renovation on West & North sides
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:18 AM   #21
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
I was also a student when they built the NEZ stand. For a while there was still student seating on the sideline next to the north endzone (NE corner of the stadium next to the tunnel). I resisted moving to the NEZ stand as long as I could because I liked being right on the field, but by my senior year the only student seating was in the NEZ. It might be different if the students actually packed the NEZ, but as it is, there are just too few students at games to make it a good experience. I honestly think it's one of the reasons student attendance is down (along with a crappy team of course).

If I could wave a magic wand and redesign both end zone stands, I would demolish the horseshoe and build a new stand closer to the field that is entirely closed in and connected to the two sideline stands. I would also add seating in both the NE and NW corners of the stadium to close in that side as well. This probable wouldn't all much seating, but it would make the entire stadium closed in and create a much better atmosphere. Here's my incredibly amateurish rendering:

Why the disclaimer? Looks great to me. The NE and NW corners and integration of the NEZ can be phase 2. Just do it. Whitman will get 'er done.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:41 AM   #22
illini809
Posts: 144
Chicago Illini Club just posted details on their facebook.

Original proposal included “football hall of fame, war memorial, and potential basement tunnel connecting to State Farm Center.” They attached these images and link to original proposal from 2005.

Link
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(768.7 KB, 924 views)
  (1.09 MB, 954 views)
  (169.4 KB, 838 views)
  (421.3 KB, 992 views)
 
illini809 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:46 AM   #23
Double Down
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini809 View Post
Chicago Illini Club just posted details on their facebook.

Original proposal included “football hall of fame, war memorial, and potential basement tunnel connecting to State Farm Center.” They attached these images and link to original proposal from 2005.

Link
Looks like a really nice stadium. One that a good football team would look good playing in
Double Down is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:14 PM   #24
illini809
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Sort of entertaining to me that the pic with the potential tunnel across the street says "to Assembly Hall". How old are those drawings? I seriously doubt that the Ath Dept. is doing drawings to AH today.
As my post mentioned, it is from 2005...
I think this story is bigger that Werner suggested because I'm guessing all of the original plans are being thrown out, assuming they go with someone who is not HNTB.
illini809 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:15 PM   #25
TownieMatt
CU Expat
TownieMatt's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini809 View Post
Chicago Illini Club just posted details on their facebook.

Original proposal included “football hall of fame, war memorial, and potential basement tunnel connecting to State Farm Center.” They attached these images and link to original proposal from 2005.

Link
I remember this, but think it was a competing plan with what we ended up actually doing in 2008. I do think it makes sense to have the south end stand look more like a horseshoe (as it does in these renderings). It would maintain a little nod to tradition, and as long as the bottom of the stand is close to the end zone I'll be happy.

__________________
TownieMatt is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump