Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

AFCA votes to add 10th assistant, add December signing period, eliminate Friday games completely

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:52 PM   #1
StateFarmCenter
Posts: 641
Also voted if a player plays less than 4 games, he may redshirt. They also opposed a June signing period and came out against the hiring of prospects' "handlers" withing 2 years. The signing period and assistant rule are on the NCAA docket while the rest isn't quite yet.

http://footballscoop.com/news/afca-u...sistant-coach/
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Bet the powers that be push back hard on the no Friday games.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 05:25 PM   #3
RyanK
RyanK's Avatar
Posts: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
Also voted if a player plays less than 4 games, he may redshirt. They also opposed a June signing period and came out against the hiring of prospects' "handlers" withing 2 years. The signing period and assistant rule are on the NCAA docket while the rest isn't quite yet.

http://footballscoop.com/news/afca-u...sistant-coach/
Not sure about the 4-game redshirt rule, unless that's specifically for injuries.

I'm a huge advocate for the early signing period.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:21 PM   #4
South Farms
Location: south of Curtis, off 1st
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Bet the powers that be push back hard on the no Friday games.
my guess is that is what the AFCA will bargain over and acquiesce to with regards to then getting a 10th coach.

horse trading . The schools are getting more $ from TV re Fridays and the coaches want a decent portion of it spent on more jobs. Probably fair.

1.Head Coach
and then 10 assts
2. OC
3. DC
4. ST
5. OL
6. DL
7. LB
8. DB
9. WR
10. RB
11. QB
South Farms is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Farms View Post
my guess is that is what the AFCA will bargain over and acquiesce to with regards to then getting a 10th coach.

horse trading . The schools are getting more $ from TV re Fridays and the coaches want a decent portion of it spent on more jobs. Probably fair.

1.Head Coach
and then 10 assts
2. OC
3. DC
4. ST
5. OL
6. DL
7. LB
8. DB
9. WR
10. RB
11. QB
There ya go. Bargaining chip. Might as well get something for expanding the pie.

Really like the earlier signing period. Hope it happens.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:47 AM   #6
IlliniInOK
IlliniInOK's Avatar
Location: no longer in OK! Centralia, IL
Posts: 298
Is the early signing period early enough though? How much of a difference do you think it will make?
IlliniInOK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniInOK View Post
Is the early signing period early enough though? How much of a difference do you think it will make?
Think it has to be after HS season ends and after the college regular season ends. So, early-mid December makes sense. Anything that reduces the wild, wild west scene that is D1 football recruiting is a VG thing. And I think it will bring more sanity to the process and protect kids.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Posts: 5,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Think it has to be after HS season ends and after the college regular season ends. So, early-mid December makes sense. Anything that reduces the wild, wild west scene that is D1 football recruiting is a VG thing. And I think it will bring more sanity to the process and protect kids.
I guess I just don't see how a month and a half changes things. You're gonna have signing day in the middle of the coaching carousel?
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 02:07 PM   #9
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: OH
Posts: 6,844
August makes more sense to me for an early signing period. The basketball early signing period is before the high school season begins.
illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 04:19 PM   #10
LurkLongandProsper
Location: C-U
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
I guess I just don't see how a month and a half changes things. You're gonna have signing day in the middle of the coaching carousel?
Agree. I am not anti-early signing period, but putting it December is program/school oriented, not kid-oriented.
LurkLongandProsper is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 09:29 PM   #11
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Farms View Post
my guess is that is what the AFCA will bargain over and acquiesce to with regards to then getting a 10th coach.

horse trading . The schools are getting more $ from TV re Fridays and the coaches want a decent portion of it spent on more jobs. Probably fair.

1.Head Coach
and then 10 assts
2. OC
3. DC
4. ST
5. OL
6. DL
7. LB
8. DB
9. WR
10. RB
11. QB
Out of the box thinking. OC/position or DC/position is pretty standard stuff, sometimes even at the pro level. Chances some teams make no changes and make number 11 a full time recruiter?
Takes some recruiting from the coaching coaches and they have more time to actually coach. Could have a guy that could practically live in Florida and Texas for your program. Almost like a satellite coach.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:04 PM   #12
mhuml32
mhuml32's Avatar
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 596
I'm okay with a early signing period where teams can officially sign a handful of recruits (3-5). Part of this would be for entertainment value, the big schools would have to choose which players to sign and others to wait on until the current signing day.

__________________
mhuml32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:08 PM   #13
LurkLongandProsper
Location: C-U
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuml32 View Post
I'm okay with a early signing period where teams can officially sign a handful of recruits (3-5). Part of this would be for entertainment value, the big schools would have to choose which players to sign and others to wait on until the current signing day.
If you're doing an early period, whichever kid wants to sign that day should be allowed to. It's not a game
LurkLongandProsper is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:13 PM   #14
FT35
FT35's Avatar
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuml32 View Post
I'm okay with a early signing period where teams can officially sign a handful of recruits (3-5). Part of this would be for entertainment value, the big schools would have to choose which players to sign and others to wait on until the current signing day.
Would this early signing period be for early enrollees or all High School recruits? I was under the impression that it was just for early enrollees, similar to what currently exists for JUCO players?
FT35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:18 PM   #15
LurkLongandProsper
Location: C-U
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
Would this early signing period be for early enrollees or all High School recruits? I was under the impression that it was just for early enrollees, similar to what currently exists for JUCO players?
It would be for all players, following the model of the November signing date for hoops.
LurkLongandProsper is online now Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump