Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Indiana 24, Illinois 14 POSTGAME

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 34,975



Last edited by Dan; Nov 11, 2017 at 07:38 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Illinibatt
Posts: 17
Reminder that 3 out of the last 4 wins were Chayce Crouch games and that he has a .600 winning percentage as a starter.

Hard to believe he's not the better option at this point.

Last edited by Illinibatt; Nov 11, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Illinibatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:33 PM   #3
IlliniMed
Location: Lillington, N.C.
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
Reminder that 3 out of the last 4 wins were Chayce Crouch games.
Hard to believe he's not the better option at this point.
Omg. My head just exploded
IlliniMed is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Illiniaaron
Location: Geneseo, IL
Posts: 1,669
It's a little disconcerting that our defensive lineman still can't line up on sides through game 12 of the season. And I think Illinois was the first conference win for four different teams this year. So that's nice.
Illiniaaron is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:33 PM   #5
FlCowboy94
FlCowboy94's Avatar
Posts: 400
Not to mix basketball with football...but I'm sick of feeling like the washington generals against the globetrotters.....we are the medicine for what ever is ailing the rest of the big ten.....no reason we can't be relevant in basketball and football
FlCowboy94 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Burt Toast
Posts: 95
Nothing to lose. Bring Chayse back for a whirl. Pathetic offensive display once again.
Burt Toast is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Illinibatt
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniMed View Post
Omg. My head just exploded
You can't keep trotting out George Jr. He's a turnover machine. We'd be better off running wildcat the whole game
Illinibatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:35 PM   #8
GoIllini23
Posts: 97
More of the same
GoIllini23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:38 PM   #9
GoIllini23
Posts: 97
We should start whichever QB best runs the offensive system we intend to implement going forward so the O-Line can learn how to block it, the heck w winning. Problem is, their appears to b no real offensive scheme, at least to my untrained eyes.
GoIllini23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:39 PM   #10
brapp33
Location: Normal IL
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniaaron View Post
It's a little disconcerting that our defensive lineman still can't line up on sides through game 12 of the season. And I think Illinois was the first conference win for four different teams this year. So that's nice.
Yea and that was a senior! There are way too many boneheaded mistakes that fall on the coaches not youth! It would be one thing if we lost games and were disciplined but we are not. I don't know why that's too much to ask for??? I don't think Lovie ball is the way to go. He just doesn't seem passionate about coaching. He has the same expression whether something good or bad happens.
brapp33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 02:51 PM   #11
Illiini
Illiini's Avatar
Location: In the land of the Nittany Lion
Posts: 71
I wonder what the team would look like if we didn’t have all the injuries that we do.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 03:21 PM   #12
JDHalfrack
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiini View Post
I wonder what the team would look like if we didnít have all the injuries that we do.
This is the one saving grace I hold on to. Although, it too seems like our 2017 excuse.
JDHalfrack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 03:31 PM   #13
winthiscentury
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiini View Post
I wonder what the team would look like if we didnít have all the injuries that we do.
Or if they didn't start as many Freshmen as they do. Good grief, let these kids learn, get physically stronger and more experienced before being so critical. This defense, for the most part, keeps them in games before they finally wear out from bring on the field too long.

Jeff George Jr is not a good quarterback. Chayce Crouch is not a good quarterback. They won games that he started in because the competition was far less. The highlight win of the season has been Western Kentucky.....where the defense was sensational. Cam Thomas is their best option and unfortunately he's hurt.

I give Lovie a ton of credit. He literally tore it all up and is building the program from the ground up by playing freshmen he recruited. I agree 100% with him. You fix a broken down building by starting brand new. That's what he's doing and while it may suck this year, you'll see the dividends pay off next year and definitely the year after.
winthiscentury is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 03:33 PM   #14
GForce
Posts: 71
This season has been a wash for me. The reason I tuned in at all was to watch some of my favorite players and/or freshman, and how they did and were developing. Now except for Dorsey they're all hurt, so I'm just hitting the fast forward button for next season.
GForce is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 04:27 PM   #15
ebakola
ebakola's Avatar
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by winthiscentury View Post
Or if they didn't start as many Freshmen as they do. Good grief, let these kids learn, get physically stronger and more experienced before being so critical. This defense, for the most part, keeps them in games before they finally wear out from bring on the field too long.

Jeff George Jr is not a good quarterback. Chayce Crouch is not a good quarterback. They won games that he started in because the competition was far less. The highlight win of the season has been Western Kentucky.....where the defense was sensational. Cam Thomas is their best option and unfortunately he's hurt.

I give Lovie a ton of credit. He literally tore it all up and is building the program from the ground up by playing freshmen he recruited. I agree 100% with him. You fix a broken down building by starting brand new. That's what he's doing and while it may suck this year, you'll see the dividends pay off next year and definitely the year after.
Agree with everything you said. Who here still expected a bowl game, especially when freshmen starts reached the teens? Letís revisit in two years, when we have one of the top defenses in the B1G, or nation... and a QB who can run this system.
ebakola is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 04:41 PM   #16
afpharmdawg
afpharmdawg's Avatar
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 212
How many teams have Illinois circled on their calendars as a sure win? We have almost reached rock bottom. For teams like Indiana and Rutgers to come in and beat up on us is horrendous.
I know we are starting freshman but folks this is horrible. What is the pitch to recruits? Come play for a B1G team and get your butts kicked but at least you get exposure on BTN.
I am not calling for Lovie's head. I am wondering when we will see decent football. The penalties are killing us. Stupid offsides, personal fouls, this has to stop.

__________________
"I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement." Calvin Coolridge
afpharmdawg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 05:04 PM   #17
CHI 1086
We Ready
Location: Merced CA
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
You can't keep trotting out George Jr. He's a turnover machine. We'd be better off running wildcat the whole game
George wasn't offsides repeatedly...wasn't calling pass plays on 3rd and 2. , He wasn't missing blocking assignments. If a screen play was written for the worst college team, they would not be this inept. I embrace letting the kids play, but I just don't see any improvement. So frustrating, so friggin frustrating!
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 05:10 PM   #18
SKane
Posts: 23
What did actual attendance look like?

I am thinking that four wins in 2018 and six wins in 2019 should be possible but maybe they are stretch goals.
SKane is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 05:20 PM   #19
NScale
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibatt View Post
Reminder that 3 out of the last 4 wins were Chayce Crouch games and that he has a .600 winning percentage as a starter. Hard to believe he's not the better option at this point.
Um, against non-conference teams. And believe it, he had to come out.
NScale is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 05:32 PM   #20
GoIllini23
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebakola View Post
Agree with everything you said. Who here still expected a bowl game, especially when freshmen starts reached the teens? Letís revisit in two years, when we have one of the top defenses in the B1G, or nation... and a QB who can run this system.
All for this, but who is the QB? It feels like all our eggs for the future are in the Ďwe will find a qb and McGee will make him greatí basket. Fingers crossed
GoIllini23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 05:46 PM   #21
FlCowboy94
FlCowboy94's Avatar
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebakola View Post
Agree with everything you said. Who here still expected a bowl game, especially when freshmen starts reached the teens? Letís revisit in two years, when we have one of the top defenses in the B1G, or nation... and a QB who can run this system.
Are you truly confident just because we have a lot of young guys starting that when they are upperclassman we will have one of the top defenses in the big or the country .....I would like to hope so but one doesn't always equal the other
FlCowboy94 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 06:55 PM   #22
BRucks
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKane View Post
What did actual attendance look like?

I am thinking that four wins in 2018 and six wins in 2019 should be possible but maybe they are stretch goals.
I thought, everything considered, that attendance was pretty good in the middle part of the game. Lots of empty seats at kick off and then again in the fourth quarter.

Every coach since Moeller has made a bowl by his third year and Moeller was fired after that third year miss. Lovie had better win more than four games next year.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 07:38 PM   #23
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 34,975




















Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 07:48 PM   #24
mossimo142
Location: Mascoutah, IL
Posts: 314
Attendance was pretty good all things considered. The bottom half of the East stands looked pretty full, but it was much thinner up top.

I said this in the game thread but think it deserves repeating here. I know people thought war chant was a wet blanket on third Downs, but it was immensely better than what we are witnessing on 3rd downs this season.

It's crazy. I'm not sure if our fan base needs prompting or they are not cheering out of spite, but it is absolutely quiet.

Speaking of absolute quiet was that supposed to be a moment of silence for the marching Illini member that passed? It was really random how they just started announcing it and stopped. Was impressive and humbling how quiet the place got for such an extended period of time.
mossimo142 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 09:51 PM   #25
IlliniOllie
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKane View Post
What did actual attendance look like?

I am thinking that four wins in 2018 and six wins in 2019 should be possible but maybe they are stretch goals.
Lots of dads in attendance. As someone else mentioned, it was pretty empty at kickoff, filled up a little bit, and then a lot of people bailed about halfway through the 4th when the wheels fell off.

I agree, the crowd was quiet, but when cheer-worthy moments have been few and far between over the last 10 years, itís hard to blame them. Weíve won 10 Big Ten home games since the Rose Bowl team. Tough to get the fans fired up with that kind of home record.
IlliniOllie is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump