Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois & Missouri announce future football series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 35,300
Sept. 26, 2026 in Champaign, Ill.
Sept. 18, 2027 in Columbia, Mo.
Sept. 16, 2028 in Champaign, Ill.
Sept. 15, 2029 in Columbia, Mo.
http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2...ll-series.aspx



Future Illinois Football schedules-
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...schedules.aspx
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sept. 26, 2026 in Champaign, Ill.
Sept. 18, 2027 in Columbia, Mo.
Sept. 16, 2028 in Champaign, Ill.
Sept. 15, 2029 in Columbia, Mo.
http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2...ll-series.aspx



Future Illinois Football schedules-
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...schedules.aspx
Really happy to see this series come back. Would have loved it to be a yearly neutral site thing, but home/home is how it was in the day.

__________________
A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying. ~ John Burroughs
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:33 AM   #3
ritster
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sept. 26, 2026 in Champaign, Ill.
Sept. 18, 2027 in Columbia, Mo.
Sept. 16, 2028 in Champaign, Ill.
Sept. 15, 2029 in Columbia, Mo.
http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2...ll-series.aspx



Future Illinois Football schedules-
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...schedules.aspx

I'll be 60 by the time 2028 rolls around. 1) How is that even possible and 2) Will we finally be good by then?
ritster is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:35 AM   #4
redwingillini11
Location: Champaign
Posts: 304
This is a good step. We should of course hope to be a competitive program at this time, and there are few teams I want to beat more than Miz-noz. But even if we are still bad, losing to Mizzou is less bad than losing to USF, Louisiana Tech, Fresno State, & Western Michigan.

P.s. As a fan, I still really wish the B1G took Mizzou rather than Rutgers or Maryland. Would have been a great fit and worthy team to hate in the conference rather than these schools I couldn't care less about out in the mid-atlantic. Hopefully Jim Delaney was able to buy a nice 2nd or 3rd house so that someone benefited from this stupid NY and DC / B1G expansion...
redwingillini11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:36 AM   #5
IlliniJim20
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritster View Post
I'll be 60 by the time 2028 rolls around. 1) How is that even possible and 2) Will we finally be good by then?
In typical Illinois fashion, we will be good from 2020-2025, then begin our down slide

__________________
IlliniJim20 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:07 PM   #6
SampsonRelpenk
SampsonRelpenk's Avatar
Location: Carbondale, IL
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
In typical Illinois fashion, we will be good from 2020-2025, then begin our down slide
And Mizzou will be kings of the SEC!
SampsonRelpenk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:16 PM   #7
SampsonRelpenk
SampsonRelpenk's Avatar
Location: Carbondale, IL
Posts: 294
Whitman on future nonconference schedule: We'll continue to look at one power-five opponent, one Group of Five opponent, one FCS opponent in the future.
https://twitter.com/JWerner247/statu...73322688696321

Wait, didn't the B1G put the kibosh on playing FCS teams?
SampsonRelpenk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:19 PM   #8
FT35
FT35's Avatar
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampsonRelpenk View Post
Whitman on future nonconference schedule: We'll continue to look at one power-five opponent, one Group of Five opponent, one FCS opponent in the future.
https://twitter.com/JWerner247/statu...73322688696321

Wait, didn't the B1G put the kibosh on playing FCS teams?
They backtracked on this:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...all-scheduling

I'm glad the games against Missouri will no longer be neutral site games.
FT35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:38 PM   #9
SampsonRelpenk
SampsonRelpenk's Avatar
Location: Carbondale, IL
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
Good. There's no justification for a world in which Alabama gets to beat up on Mercer and we don't.
SampsonRelpenk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 35,300
Quote:
Whitman: Rebirth of Mizzou series, know it's anticlamatic due to 2026 start but that's the reality of college football world today.

Whitman: Right now scheduled to be home and home. If opportunity to play in StL, we will evaluate. Hard to predict future of dome 9 years down road. Busch Stadium presents challenges with Cardinals schedule.

Whitman: First talked with this with Mizzou AD Jim Sterk last year at Braggin' Rights game. Grateful to them for the partnership.

Whitman on future nonconference schedule: We'll continue to look at one power-five opponent, one Group of Five opponent, one FCS opponent in the future.

Whitman: Only have a few geographic rivalries. I think of Mizzou as a peer, visibility, state university. Series of 2000s had a bunch of fan interest. Two great conferences come together.

Whitman: "Not impossible" to play football game at Busch Stadium. "It's challenging" due to game being in September.

Whitman: It'd be fun to play at Busch. But hard with September.

https://twitter.com/JWerner247
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:59 PM   #11
Glory Days
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 70
The part about continuing to play an FCS opponent every year is literally the first thing Josh Whitman has said publicly the the Illini AD that I disagree with.

2 Group of 5 opponents, yes. FCS, no.

I would prefer the Illini to be strong enough to play 2 power 5 OOC and one Group of 5 every year. Long row to hoe, however....
Glory Days is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 01:01 PM   #12
FT35
FT35's Avatar
Posts: 1,791
I lived in the St. Louis area for a few years and have no desire to see these games played in the Edward Jones Dome or Busch Stadium. Hopefully these games remain on campus.

We're still stuck playing USF in Solder Field next year because we backed out of neutral site games with Northwestern.
FT35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 04:28 PM   #13
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Woodridge, IL
Posts: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
I lived in the St. Louis area for a few years and have no desire to see these games played in the Edward Jones Dome or Busch Stadium. Hopefully these games remain on campus.

We're still stuck playing USF in Solder Field next year because we backed out of neutral site games with Northwestern.
Well it wasnt a neutral site game with Northwestern, it was us giving up our home game. If Northwestern was willing to give up their home games as well Id be all for it.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 05:30 PM   #14
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,218
I'd like to see us play Kentucky on occasion. They're the only border state school we don't play. They're not a powerhouse, but come from a high major conference. Seems like a good match up.
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 05:40 PM   #15
Fighter of the Nightman
Fighter of the Nightman's Avatar
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Well it wasnt a neutral site game with Northwestern, it was us giving up our home game. If Northwestern was willing to give up their home games as well Id be all for it.
This. Playing in a city where we have tons of our fans wasn't the issue.
Fighter of the Nightman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 08:53 PM   #16
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
I'd like to see us play Kentucky on occasion. They're the only border state school we don't play. They're not a powerhouse, but come from a high major conference. Seems like a good match up.
I think this is a great idea.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2017, 09:52 AM   #17
dgcrow
dgcrow's Avatar
Location: Kelso, WA
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory Days View Post
The part about continuing to play an FCS opponent every year is literally the first thing Josh Whitman has said publicly the the Illini AD that I disagree with.

2 Group of 5 opponents, yes. FCS, no.

I would prefer the Illini to be strong enough to play 2 power 5 OOC and one Group of 5 every year. Long row to hoe, however....
The way I understand it, the revised Big 10 policy allows an FCS opponent to be scheduled only every other year: the years a team has only four home conference games.
dgcrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:05 PM   #18
STLIlliniMike
Posts: 5
It might sound pretentious but I cringed a little when insaw Whitman referred to Mizzou as a "peer"
STLIlliniMike is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump