Griffey Adidas Nations Scrimmage

Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
More reason to be excited about Tyler

Quote:
Tyler Griffey (6-7, 215)
2009, Wildwood, Mo./ Lafayette
I originally had Griffey slated for the surprise list, but as the scrimmage wore on his stock elevated to the standout category. Despite all the talent that was on display in the Bruin Gym, Griffey's savvy and skills at the 4/3 were impressive. His jump shot, with range out to 20-feet, is smooth and he's extremely effective nailing it in transition. In addition to his shooting touch, he has the ability to post up and displayed a nifty jump hook. He's a solid athlete with a very mature game, which should translate very well to Bruce Weber's motion offense at Illinois.
Keep working hard!
CrazedUIFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:34 AM   #2
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Re: Griffey Adidas Nations Scrimmage

Yikes! Mature person. Mature game. Versatile. I'm getting more and more excited about TG.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:02 PM   #3
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
Yikes! Mature person. Mature game. Versatile. I'm getting more and more excited about TG.
Well said. I'm also getting very, very excited about Tyler.

Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:18 PM   #4
OlivetNaz

Hope I'm still in Champaign to see this kid play. Sounds like the hard-working type good teams always need more of...the kind more concerned about the team in general than their own personal stats (although I would certainly understand personal stats being important, too)
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:10 PM   #5
HeartofaChampion

With good recent reports on Bertrand at the U of I camp, and Paul and DJ looking like great pickups, the 09 class is looking very, very good. The depth we'll have in 2009-10 is going to be terrific. The fight for PT should be fierce.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:37 PM   #6
illini80

Nice article Crazed. I'm glad to see Tyler getting some props. I think he is going to be huge for Illinois for a lot of reasons. He may not have the flash of some, but his value to the team will be much more than a few highlight reel plays.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:38 PM   #7
webersman

its early, but this kids shapin up to be a very likeable player..hard working, smart, talented..always gotta like those players
webersman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:11 AM   #8
IntenselyOrange

This is exactly the type of thing I like to see. It seems that the reporter was initially surprised that he could even play and came away extremely impressed. It's easy to see brilliance when you expect it but it's much harder when you're not looking for it.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:56 AM   #9
Griffster99

What makes it even sweeter is his first trip with these guys in April of 07, the comments where a blue collar worker, took a shot to the nose and still hung in there. I think he (and some others) felt maybe that he did not belong...now... the comments are a little different.

One thing I tell Tyler. Always always get better. Doesn't matter what level you are at.. improve.. every day every year, differentiate yourself from the rest..in some fashion. Pick one aspect of your game and take it to a different level. So far that model has proven effective..

One proud pappa here in Stl now!!!!
Griffster99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:08 AM   #10
james81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffster99 View Post
What makes it even sweeter is his first trip with these guys in April of 07, the comments where a blue collar worker, took a shot to the nose and still hung in there. I think he (and some others) felt maybe that he did not belong...now... the comments are a little different.

One thing I tell Tyler. Always always get better. Doesn't matter what level you are at.. improve.. every day every year, differentiate yourself from the rest..in some fashion. Pick one aspect of your game and take it to a different level. So far that model has proven effective..

A lot of proud Illinois fans too, Griffster!! We can't wait to see Tyler in the Orange and Blue. I really like your emphasis upon taking one aspect of the game to a different level. I also like it that Tyler said he has been working this summer on his strength and rebounding. He's going to be a complete player. What a class we have enering in 09!
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:08 AM   #11
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land

Quote:

Great advice. Sometimes it is difficult with kids who have some God given talent to understand how hard you have to work to improve. That kind of talent can only take you so far. You have to get that edge with hard work. You have every right to be a proud pappa. Can't wait to see him in O&B with the others.
CrazedUIFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:39 AM   #12
NV Illini 74

Hey Griffster, welcome back again!

You deserve to be a proud papa - you are doing great!

Questions for you: The photo with the article is only a side view upper body, but from the look of Tyler's neck, it appears he's added quite a bit of upper body mass. True? What's he weigh in at these days? Is he making equal progress on upper and lower body strength? Etc.

Thanks!

GO ILLINI and LONG LIVE THE CHIEF ! !
NV Illini 74 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:35 AM   #13
Griffster99

He has added some good weight.. No doubt he is stronger.. probably around 225 right now.. aiming for 235-240 for june of 09. Best part is he has increased in vertical to about 36" inches... up about 4 inches from last year at this time too.. right now with his reach he can get to 11'8". (with a two step start).
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:41 AM   #14
kingmal
Banned

I told you guys Griffey can be a more polished version of Joe Alexander, plus griffey is 4 years younger than Joe was as a soph in college. We got one here guys.
kingmal is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:55 AM   #15
bonick03
Chief Optimism Officer

Whoo-hoo!

Funny story - my wife and I recently got a new cat from a shelter that was named Griffin. Me, I've been calling him Griff. But now I think I'm going to start calling him Griffster.

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:14 PM   #16
Griffster99

Griff's ok.. most of my friends call me Griff.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:35 PM   #17
fightingillini fan 4-ever
Banned

Quote:

Outstanding.....The complete package, thats not found very often.

Kudos to you Griff on the fine job your doing as a parent. I always tell my kids "Winners never quit and Quitters never win". It is so true. It sounds like you have the same advice for Tyler.

Great Job and GO ILLINI!!!!!!!!!!!!
fightingillini fan 4-ever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 04:21 PM   #18
bonick03
Chief Optimism Officer

Quote:
Griff's ok.. most of my friends call me Griff.
What do they call your son? It's okay if he doesn't have a great nickname yet - that's what the Orange Krush is for. I'm sure they'll do your family proud in 2009.

Old Jun 19, 2008, 04:40 PM   #19
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonick03 View Post
Whoo-hoo!

Funny story - my wife and I recently got a new cat from a shelter that was named Griffin. Me, I've been calling him Griff. But now I think I'm going to start calling him Griffster.
For you: Mr. Griffey.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:19 PM   #20
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever

Quote:
He has added some good weight.. No doubt he is stronger.. probably around 225 right now.. aiming for 235-240 for june of 09. Best part is he has increased in vertical to about 36" inches... up about 4 inches from last year at this time too.. right now with his reach he can get to 11'8". (with a two step start).
That sounds great from a weight/strength standpoint, and with a vertical of 36", he sounds much more athletic than probably most of us imagined. And with that kind of reach, we should see some serious dunks in Champaign in 2009.
IlliniRon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 07:25 AM   #21
-josh-
Banana no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingillini fan 4-ever View Post
"Winners never quit and Quitters never win". It is so true. It sounds like you have the same advice for Tyler

But also, those that never win and never quit are losers.

Griffey is gonna be a beast from the get go by the time he gets here.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »