1/12 Games

haasi

New York
Purdue taking it to MSU so far in W Lafayette. 32-12 late in first half. Crazy conference.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Purdue taking it to MSU so far in W Lafayette. 32-12 late in first half. Crazy conference.

I was just watching this and my first thought was how well they shoot at home. We're gonna need to lock it down as best we can.

(I'm also super jealous that we haven't figured out how to shoot lights out like that at home yet.)

illini80

Forgottonia
The road team woes are well documented in the B10. Amazingly so. Question is why? Really good teams can win on the road, but many of these games haven’t even really been close. If this continues it will be interesting to see how things go come tourney time. If we (B10 teams) don’t learn how to shoot on the road, we will all be out quickly come March.

Man, what a slugfest at Purdue. Or should I say rockfight? Izzo headed for a T.

I'm trying to figure out how any of these games affect the beloved. Would we get more credit for beating Purdue (if they win) or would we take a hit by losing to MSU by 20(if we lose).

I want to see us break 30 in the NET rankings and in KenPom.

MSU may not be head and shoulders above everyone else like we thought. They had yet to play anyone on the road before today besides Northwestern, so it's no surprise they were 5-0.

Deleted member 29907

D
29 point game- always love seeing sparty embarrassed - such as when a John Groce coached team beat them.

29 point game- always love seeing sparty embarrassed - such as when a John Groce coached team beat them.

VAIllini - I apologize in advance, I don’t mean to single you out here.

Groce was unlucky in recruiting (probably not willing enough to get his hands dirty)

Groce is a good, but not great, X’s and O’s Coach. And that will get you out coached about 75% of the time in the Big Ten.

By all accounts, Groce is a very good person, both to his players and in life.

I don’t understand why three years later, we can’t just enjoy a Sparty/Izzo smack down without going miles out of your way to take a shot at Groce.

Again, sorry to single out this post - it’s not a one time/one poster thing.

Rant over.

With a Wisconsin win against MSU, we could find ourselves in 1st place next week. That's fun to say. I think we end up around 5th or 6th by the time it's over but I'm enjoying the scoreboard watching and scenario projecting. Brings me back to the days of yore.

Deleted member 29907

D
VAIllini - I apologize in advance, I don’t mean to single you out here.

Groce was unlucky in recruiting (probably not willing enough to get his hands dirty)

Groce is a good, but not great, X’s and O’s Coach. And that will get you out coached about 75% of the time in the Big Ten.

By all accounts, Groce is a very good person, both to his players and in life.

I don’t understand why three years later, we can’t just enjoy a Sparty/Izzo smack down without going miles out of your way to take a shot at Groce.

Again, sorry to single out this post - it’s not a one time/one poster thing.

Rant over.
Not sure what happened to my other reply to this - but my JG comment was tonge-in-cheek (no emoji for that). I like/d JG as a person - he need an X and O coach on his bench - which was as you point out his biggest weakness. Not that you would know this, but I have pointed out multiple times in the past that JG was nearly .500 against the "great" Tom Izzo. So no mean intent on my part - although I realize its easy to see the post that way.

Not sure what happened to my other reply to this - but my JG comment was tonge-in-cheek (no emoji for that). I like/d JG as a person - he need an X and O coach on his bench - which was as you point out his biggest weakness. Not that you would know this, but I have pointed out multiple times in the past that JG was nearly .500 against the "great" Tom Izzo. So no mean intent on my part - although I realize its easy to see the post that way.

Thanks for the reply. Let’s just both root for Akron to embarrass Izzo in the tourney someday soon!

Yeah, having that Maryland game would have been nice. But can't complain, we have pulled two out late and are just one game out of the lead in the B1G.

I think the takeaway from this is that we should not be surprised if we get clobbered a couple of more times on the road like at MSU - doesn't mean we are not a good team. Also glad that we do not have to play MSU next.

I know statistics are for losers but if you look at the stats from the MSU game they are stunning:

We had 9 more offensive rebounds
We had 15 more shots from the field
We had fewer turnovers
We tied a great rebounding team for total rebounds
They only had 9 more free throws

50 years ago Larry Stewart, the old Illini play by play radio guy, described a shooter from Michigan during a game as "having the touch of a blacksmith".

Against MSU, I would have settled for that.

I'm trying to figure out how any of these games affect the beloved. Would we get more credit for beating Purdue (if they win) or would we take a hit by losing to MSU by 20(if we lose).

I want to see us break 30 in the NET rankings and in KenPom.
I think in general its better to have a team you’ve lost to win, opposed to a team you’ve beaten. I’m not sure if thats universally true though it does apply in this situation with respect to RPI (which is a published calculation,NET isn’t so need to wait until tomorrow).

So with a Purdue win Illini lost ~3 RPI points (points, not rank) compared to an MSU win where they would’ve lost ~9.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/team-impact?team=Illinois

NET is interesting because PU over MSU might make PU a Q1 win for us which would be great.

I think in general its better to have a team you’ve lost to win, opposed to a team you’ve beaten. I’m not sure if thats universally true though it does apply in this situation with respect to RPI (which is a published calculation,NET isn’t so need to wait until tomorrow).

So with a Purdue win Illini lost ~3 RPI points (points, not rank) compared to an MSU win where they would’ve lost ~9.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/team-impact?team=Illinois

NET is interesting because PU over MSU might make PU a Q1 win for us which would be great.

Great analysis. My dumber take is that I want big ten home teams to win, unless it’s a top tier team losing at home to a bottom tier. As of now, Nebraska and NW are the only teams I would consider bottom tier, but there will be a couple more soon.

Long story short, I want everyone on pace for 10-10 as we march to 11 or 12 wins.

Lol @ me. I know it was a road game but I felt comfortable taking MSU -3. This conference man

1578861518660.gif

Ranking will be superfluous when we win the year end tourney.