1/12 Games

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Soo... Akron actually ahead of us in RPI (not NET though). Groce getting a 2nd P5 chance sometime?

I think ADs will look at his body of work and see that they should maybe wait one more year to see if there is consistent success. (Not just tourney success or one regular season success)

If he does well again next year, I’d see him making the jump again. Maybe a Big 12 job because...well...it’s a requirement for past or future Illini coaches apparently.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I think in general its better to have a team you’ve lost to win, opposed to a team you’ve beaten. I’m not sure if thats universally true though it does apply in this situation with respect to RPI (which is a published calculation,NET isn’t so need to wait until tomorrow).

So with a Purdue win Illini lost ~3 RPI points (points, not rank) compared to an MSU win where they would’ve lost ~9.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/team-impact?team=Illinois

NET is interesting because PU over MSU might make PU a Q1 win for us which would be great.
And my even dumber take is that PU beating MSU will make Illinois players take notice. Illinois plays PU after NW, in other words soon. Illinois players might subconsciously think that since they beat PU so badly they can just call it in at PU. But PU pounding MSU should reinforce the concept that it is tough, tough, and even tougher to win on the road no matter what happened previously on one's home court.

And my even dumber take is that PU beating MSU will make Illinois players take notice. Illinois plays PU after NW, in other words soon. Illinois players might subconsciously think that since they beat PU so badly they can just call it in at PU. But PU pounding MSU should reinforce the concept that it is tough, tough, and even tougher to win on the road no matter what happened previously on one's home court.
This isn't dumb at all. In the back of some of their minds was no doubt the idea that we've got their number.

Wow! Talk about home court advantage. MSU beats Illinois by 20!. Illinois beats Purdue by 26! Purdue beats MSU by 29!

So far only 5 wins on the road and Wisky has 2 of them (but alas - one loss to to "unohoo" at home!!!)

This is a 1-12 game so it applies, I just noticed on TV that Georgi, Kofi, Verdonk and Alan are at the women's game. We are up on Minn by 6 with 2 minutes to go.
That was more exciting than it should have been in the end, with a 12 pt lead at 4min that faded to 1 with 12 sec and Minny ball. Illini Bball 2-0 this weekend (way to go Ladies!)

W
Winston with 9 to’s Seem to remember a game like that last year. Also remember blowing out Minny at home and getting beat there. Don’t think you can call any in this year including the Kittys at home.

I've been otherwise occupied today. And I causally pull up the up college scores to see how the Minnesota - Michigan game went; and saw the numbers, not the names and umbers of MSU and Purdue, and thought . . . damn, Purdue got waxed. Looked and again and although no one else could hear, audibly said WOW! Had to look again., and again. Maybe it was a Russian Hack? Let me repeat, Damn, Wow. This League is no joke, Good; not just coach speak.. Says some really good things about the last 3 games and how tough the rest of the season will be.

It's a nutty league. More unpredictable than any season I can remember.

azillini1

Scottsdale
Arizona getting beat by Oregon State by 18 with less than 3 minutes left. This will be the WildKitties 6th loss.

Last edited:
Curious to see what Miami ends up in NET. Right now RPI has them as a Q1 loss for us after their pitt win.

Interesting that Miami is Q1 in RPI and Q3 in NET pending tomorrow’s update. If they move up 20 spots they’ll be Q2 which would be huge.