10th anniversary of Illinois' upset of #1 Ohio State

I watched the condensed version of that game from the Reddit thread this morning.

So refreshing to watch an offense that clicks. Even weirder that it's ours.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I thing the Rocky Harvey UM game was more fun. But, yes, beating #1 on their field is always fantastic! Thank goodness Tressel (?) called timeout, so Zook could rethink going for it on 4th and 1.

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
What I don't understand is how we were never able to transfer that game/season into a buildable future. That season is the last good season Illinois has had.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
What I don't understand is how we were never able to transfer that game/season into a buildable future. That season is the last good season Illinois has had.

Same reason the basketball program cratered after a 37-win, runner-up season. Ineptitude at the top and more than a few snake bites.

Heck I’d kill just to get back to where we were in 2010.

It seems to me that low inertia programs like Illinois get a new coach bump, maybe get a good season or two, and then the coach either leaves for a better job, or some combination of the sheer weight of the incompetence of the athletic department, poor facilities, the drain of recruiting, etc eventually kills any momentum.

That was my first year of season tickets. Went to the Rose Bowl and got killed, but the parade was amazing. Still have the tickets, but man it's been hard dishing out the dough every year since that great season.

I remember well the knot in my stomach during that last Illini drive that sealed the deal. Having gone to a half dozen bowl games, including the 1984 Rose Bowl, and only had the fun of watching them win 1 (1994 Liberty Bowl) and having watched our Beloved throw away many, many wins late in the action, we were waiting for the other shoe to drop. But it never did!

Wasn't there a dust up in the waning seconds of that game in Columbus 10 years ago? It seems the OSU boys took exception to some questionable celebrating at mid field.

IlliniRunIn07

Tampa, FL
I remember well the knot in my stomach during that last Illini drive that sealed the deal. Having gone to a half dozen bowl games, including the 1984 Rose Bowl, and only had the fun of watching them win 1 (1994 Liberty Bowl) and having watched our Beloved throw away many, many wins late in the action, we were waiting for the other shoe to drop. But it never did!

Wasn't there a dust up in the waning seconds of that game in Columbus 10 years ago? It seems the OSU boys took exception to some questionable celebrating at mid field.

I don't remember any skirmish, but it's been awhile since I've seen the game. Are you sure you're not thinking of the time we beat MSU on the road I think in 2006? I remember us trying to plant a flag.