11/14-11/15: 30 straight hours of college basketball

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...ry-game-in-the-college-hoops-tip-off-marathon

There's the tip off marathons schedule, starting tonight and taking us through the Champions Classic tomorrow. Oregon going into Baylor is probably the best non CC game on there.

Anyways the big game tonight is Purdue vs Villanova at 6 on BTN. Northwestern, Ohio State, and Minnesota are also in action. San Diego State vs Gonzaga on at 11 should be another good one.

Watching message board legend Marcus Lovett on FS1....I didn't think I'd ever watch this channel again until next years MLB playoffs. Unless I've gone color blind, he thinks green is one of the St. John's Red Storm school colors.

Last edited:
Watching message board legend Marcus Lovett on FS1....I didn't think I'd ever watch this channel again until next years MLB playoffs. Unless I've gone color blind, he thinks green is one of the St. John's Red Storm school colors.

And he played really well

I'm sorry but the students these days are so luke warm. Assembly Hall was rocking for numerous years regardless of pre-season ranking. Yeah I was probably spoiled going to games from 01-06, but from the season opener onward, you need to show some spirit at least until the team gives you nothing to be spirited about.

I'm sorry but the students these days are so luke warm. Assembly Hall was rocking for numerous years regardless of pre-season ranking. Yeah I was probably spoiled going to games from 01-06, but from the season opener onward, you need to show some spirit at least until the team gives you nothing to be spirited about.

There's no comparing 01-06 to now. Unless you're a grad student (or a 5th year undergrad taking a victory lap), you haven't even seen an NCAA Tournament team, much less anything even remotely resembling those teams. It's hard to be critical of the students when the athletic program (on both sides of Kirby) has given them so little to cheer about.

I'm not saying that there aren't larger issues with attendance and student engagement throughout basketball and at Illinois, but those days were a true golden age of Illini basketball. It's like someone who was here in 1983 criticizing the Block I of today.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Now that I am at Notre Dame, I will never insult Illinois student/fan enthusiasm ever again. ND just came off an Elite 8 season and the student section was :hand:

Nobody cheered or clapped or distracted anybody. The stadium was like 70% empty for a Saturday afternoon season opener with an away football game that started after the game ended. If they had like 10% of what Krush had it would be a decent atmosphere.

There's no comparing 01-06 to now. Unless you're a grad student (or a 5th year undergrad taking a victory lap), you haven't even seen an NCAA Tournament team, much less anything even remotely resembling those teams. It's hard to be critical of the students when the athletic program (on both sides of Kirby) has given them so little to cheer about.

I'm not saying that there aren't larger issues with attendance and student engagement throughout basketball and at Illinois, but those days were a true golden age of Illini basketball. It's like someone who was here in 1983 criticizing the Block I of today.
I feel like my experience was the transition from how it was then to how it is now. I was there from 09-14. A little success, some big wins for sure, but mostly the program was trending down. My freshman year for the first exhibition game it seemed like Orange Krush was super into it. It was still a big deal. Some of the 5th year seniors had been there for Dee and Augustine's senior year. By 2014 and the time I finished grad school it wasn't too far off from where it is now. It was really kind of sad watching the Orange Krush environment decay. I know the place is still rocking for big games now. And obviously the environment will improve once the program starts winning consistently again, but my first exhibition game vs SE Missouri State had more energy than some of the B1G games my last year.

I get a kick out of watching these games from 2am, 4am, 6am. Hilarious gimmick, but good for these nothing programs to get on espn.

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
I get a kick out of watching these games from 2am, 4am, 6am. Hilarious gimmick, but good for these nothing programs to get on espn.

I love it. Each year I say I'm going to take the day off of work to watch them all, and each year I have a work thing that prevents me from doing it. Ah well. Next year!!

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Winthrop has been a perennial powerhouse in the Big South conference over the past 15+ years. Their turnaround started after the hiring of Gregg Marshall as their coach in 1999. They won their conference just last year after going 23-9. They are not going to be an easy win.

Winthrop has been a perennial powerhouse in the Big South conference over the past 15+ years. Their turnaround started after the hiring of Gregg Marshall as their coach in 1999. They won their conference just last year after going 23-9. They are not going to be an easy win.

Leron will be back for his first game on Monday against Winthrop.

That should help.

ILLINI76

Springfiled, IL.
Watch BYU last night. They had A F/C go for 26 and 18. 9 of those REB were OREB.