11/16 Games

Deleted member 29907

D
These conference center basketball games always seem to throw teams off for a while - its a strange environment.

That said, Miznoz's starters all averaged alot of minutes each with very little help from the bench - (pretty much 7 deep) we should be able to run them hard and wear them down. Should be a fun game.

No excuses for losing to Georgetown, but Loyola Marymount seems to be a pretty good team so far. They are 4-0 and have beaten every team by 10+ points, including @UNLV. They returned seven players from last year, four of which were starters. And the WCC is not some slouch conference and often produces some good teams yearly, like our next opponent Gonzaga. But still, no excuses for losing to Georgetown at home.

Deleted member 29907

D
That “solid” Gtown team that beat us at home just got handled by Loyola Marymount scoring 52 points total. Maybe hold off on pouring the orange kool aid for a bit. They aren’t good
Disagree with the overall thought. 1) GTown played out of their minds against us, 2) we could have shut it down if we had gone zone (which is what other teams are doing against them), 3) we didn't have Trent (one of 4 returning players who know the O/D). If you look at the GTown boards, apparently the team had a bit too much fun enjoying the sun - not surprising given their upset big win over us on the road.

I am chaulking the GTown loss up to perfect storm of the above - but that storm could have pushed out to sea with a simple move to zone.

IllFanInMi

I
Is it the strategy or execution? Many here rave about the t.o’s created and excitement of BU’s philosophy, but I’m not too sure the teams we play fear it. Kind of like a pesky fly that is very annoying, but won’t kill you. Once teams break that extended line of pressure they get some real easy looks.

I like it, but believe we shouldn’t live and die by it and mix it up more. If it’s a function of BU still not having the right balance of guys he needs to execute it better, well we better score 80 a game.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
No excuses for losing to Georgetown, but Loyola Marymount seems to be a pretty good team so far. They are 4-0 and have beaten every team by 10+ points, including @UNLV. They returned seven players from last year, four of which were starters. And the WCC is not some slouch conference and often produces some good teams yearly, like our next opponent Gonzaga. But still, no excuses for losing to Georgetown at home.
Staahpp! You're ruining the narrative!

Georgetown shot the ball better than they will in any game the rest of the year.

Other teams shooting their best game of the year against us seemed to happen a lot last year. I’d suspect it happens a lot again this year. Being ranked 301 in opponent shooting % last year is what happens when you give up wide open layups and I can’t imagine our personnel this year is going to somehow drastically improve that number this year.

Feel like I have taken it upon myself to defend the O&B. Understand the chagrin, but there is a large variance in college basketball. Quite possible for a team to look great one game and completely out of it the next - see Furman vs. Villanova today for example. As for GT losing, I think it should be recognized that Loyola Marymount is not a bad team. They beat UNLV in Vegas already this year. So lets wait a few games before jumping.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Villanova lost to Furman. Furrrrrmannnnnn

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Furman also beat Loyola earlier, so have defeated 2 from the FF.

Easy for a team like GTown to shoot at a high percentage when 7 out of 10 shots are dunks and layups. Illini defense was terrible, both in scheme and execution. Coach better tighten that up or this season will be fugly.
That's been my worry since Underwood was hired.....and hasn't changed.

If you can't see Underwood's master plan on the court, you are not watching the games. It isn't like GTown drubbed us, it was highly competitive. We are going to be fun to watch but still have a tough season. Hopefully we can keep Ayo until Sophomore where he takes us to the S16.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
If you can't see Underwood's master plan on the court, you are not watching the games. It isn't like GTown drubbed us, it was highly competitive. We are going to be fun to watch but still have a tough season. Hopefully we can keep Ayo until Sophomore where he takes us to the S16.
E8 or FF is not out of the question.