11/29 Games

One thing going for us in that matchup could be that Michigan will be coming off a tuff loss on the road to Louisville in the ACC/B1G Challenge, which could have their confidence wounded...

Or it could be more fuel in the tank of Coach Juwan Howard's fire 🥵
They're not losing to Louisville....

Wow, Michigan needs to make the biggest Ap and Coaches poll jump for an ranked team entering in NCAA history!
Yeah, they're going to be in the top ten.... question is how far up to they go? There's an argument for them to be #1, but if you're going to go purely by performance to date, they're undefeated beating Carolina and Gonzaga....handily on a neutral floor.

It'll be interesting. What's not interesting is that we have Michigan and Maryland to kick off conference play. Rough.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Depaul continues to look good, up by 10 at Minny with 8 mins let. Moore is having a great year.

Yeah, they're going to be in the top ten.... question is how far up to they go? There's an argument for them to be #1, but if you're going to go purely by performance to date, they're undefeated beating Carolina and Gonzaga....handily on a neutral floor.

It'll be interesting. What's not interesting is that we have Michigan and Maryland to kick off conference play. Rough.
A great opportunity.

Ken

chitown
Depauls wing size and defensive IQ with Charlie Moore being a straight up dog is gonna cause a lot of problems

Charlie Moore had 12 of the 14 Depaul assists.

Make that 3 road wins for Depaul against P5 schools. They definitely look for real, and in a weak Big East, I like their chances. My big issue with them is Dave Leitao isn't a great coach but we shall see.

Deleted member 4333

D
Absolutley, which makes it almost a must win game now for this program this year and immensely huge for BU personally, from the aspect of recruiting, to be able to take a win against them onto the recruiting trail for the next month or two...

I expect Maryland to remain more highly ranked than Michigan when the poles come out next week, but because we play Maryland on the road, beating Michigan at home, after they have gained such huge national recognition for these wins now, and being someone who we go head-to-head against for recruits annually... that makes this maybe the biggest game at the SFC during the BU era imo.

Can't wait!

giphy.gif

Penn State and Iowa also playing pretty well. Big Ten may or may not have a Final 4 team but not many easy games (Rutgers, NW, Minnesota, Neb appear weak)...we will have our hands full getting 10 BT wins..could play decent and only get 8. Start at Mary, Mich, at Mich St, Purdue, at Wisc..two easy ones, then at Purdue, at Mich...could start any where from 5-4, to 2-7. Really need to go 9-1 in non conference.

They're not losing to Louisville....

Considering Louisville will most likely be the #1 team in the country when the polls come out Monday, and also considering that they're absolutely loaded with talent and playing on their home floor??

But "They're not losing to Louisville..." 🤔

I understand the maze & blue juices are flowing high right now, but there's more than a strong chance UM doesnt make it out of there with a "W" come Tuesday night! Jmo

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
So the line now is that SCum is now “on the map.” With a win, that game puts us on the map...and I hope there’s a picture of Kofi on that map saying “Here there be monsters!”

Is it Howard or is it Phil Martelli St Joes old coach a really great basketball mind, great hire by Juan

I don’t get this belief that it is impossible for Howard to be a good coach. Below is his resume. Yes, most of it is as a player (more on that later), but consider the coaches he’s been around in his career. Don Nelson, George Karl, Jeff Van Gundy, Pat Reilly. Guys who know their Xs and Os and have had pretty good success coaching at the highest levels of basketball. It’s not unfathomable to think he might have picked something up along the way.

He also played about 20 years in the league. You don’t get that far, without being a cerebral, high IQ player who really knows the game. As the athleticism vanishes you gotta make up for those lost steps somehow, and being multiple steps ahead mentally is usually how. Also consider that many times players and coaches refer to those long tenured vets as “like a coach” because they’ve seen so many different situations. It’s not like any of this is his first rodeo other than being a head coach (but it’s not like he was the first person to ever become a head coach with no head coaching experience).

I don’t even like Juwan Howard like that, but it’s not like he’s some nobody who couldn’t possibly have a clue what he’s doing. As much as people clamor for our former players to come back and coach our sports, if one of our old guys had a resume like his, people would be ecstatic and call him a genius hire for our program. To that point, you could make a solid argument that Howard is more qualified to be UM HC than Josh Whitman is to be our AD.

Considering Louisville will most likely be the #1 team in the country when the polls come out Monday, and also considering that they're absolutely loaded with talent and playing on their home floor??

But "They're not losing to Louisville..." 🤔

I understand the maze & blue juices are flowing high right now, but there's more than a strong chance UM doesnt make it out of there with a "W" come Tuesday night! Jmo
Sorry, I did not mean to infer that Louisville isn't good. Although, technically we do not know how good they are yet, who have they played? Akron sure gave them a scare. I've watched 3 games of the Wolverines, they are as well balanced of a team you will find and they just beat two top ten teams! Not a fan of UM's but they are scary good!

Last edited:
I think Howard can be looked at as smart having hired Phil. Howard said he hired him to handle x’s and o’s and get him up to speed in college basketball coaching. Admitting that shows he wants to be good at this, and won’t let his ego get in the way. That alone could make him a good coach, and Phil Martelli is a good coach to learn from. He had some good teams at st Joe.