11/6 Games

Today's hot take: Coach K is going to win the easiest NC ever this season and then retire.
Slightly hotter take: Duke defeats the Illini in a battle of undefeateds for the NC. BU to Duke, John Wooden's reanimated corpse to Illinois for payback from UCLA stealing Gene Bartow.

Barrett and Zion are probably the two best freshman I have seen in college in the last 20 years. At a level like Anthony Davis and Durant, better than Derrick Rose or KAT or Ben Simmons.

Zion physically dominates like Anthony Davis and Barrett look like a quicker Paul Pierce....not sure how you decide which one to draft #1.

Zion reminds me of Charles Barkley, an even more athletic version. Definitely more talented than Barkley in college (Auburn).

DePaul hosting Bethune-Cookman on FS 1....there may be more fans in attendance if they were at Bethune Cookman.

Not only that, Mark Smith's greatest asset is his strength. He is not a PG, but if he can utilize his strength, get rebounds, and play some defense, with some shooting (does not have to shoot extremely high percentage), he can be very effective. Last night he played SG. His role at Missouri may be similar to what Damonte Williams's role is on the Illini.
Still not impressed with MS but would really like to have Tilmon. He would really fill a hole for us and he has improved.

Slightly hotter take: Duke defeats the Illini in a battle of undefeateds for the NC. BU to Duke, John Wooden's reanimated corpse to Illinois for payback from UCLA stealing Gene Bartow.
That is really just a ludicrous statement. Duke plays Illinois in the Maui championship, so obviously one team has a loss!!!!

How does a 'really good' team lose by 34? Assuming Duke is #1 and a world beater, that's basically saying Duke is 40 points better than everyone else they're going to play. Seen this story time and again - rate because of the name, rather than reality. Not saying they won't get down there or somewhere close by end of the season - but they were #5 at the start of last year and no where to be found at the end of the season. I don't follow them that close week to week - but did they lose a key player or two during that time?

Have you seen what Alabama is doing in football?

DePaul hosting Bethune-Cookman on FS 1....there may be more fans in attendance if they were at Bethune Cookman.

Watched JCL this evening. He had 8 points but looked very tentative to me, not really comfortable.

Ken

chitown
Watched JCL this evening. He had 8 points but looked very tentative to me, not really comfortable.

Yeah he didn't look comfortable at all I loved those young bigs they have Paul Reed and Jaylen Butz the length,size and motors of those guys was impressive

Deleted member 29907

D
Have you seen what Alabama is doing in football?
Um, yes. Not sure of your point - so let me take a stab - are you putting money down Duke will beat the top 5 teams by 30+ points this year? But maybe you're making my point - Alabama has only played 2 top 25 teams this year - one barely in the top 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah he didn't look comfortable at all I loved those young bigs they have Paul Reed and Jaylen Butz the length,size and motors of those guys was impressive

I noticed this too. It's almost like JCL was trying not to get passed to. On defense, even in zone, he appeared to be slow footed. Kind of a shame.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I noticed this too. It's almost like JCL was trying not to get passed to. On defense, even in zone, he appeared to be slow footed. Kind of a shame.
So your saying he is just the same ole JCL.

Dren1

Glenview, IL
Zion Williamson is LeBron 2.0 (too bad Illinois can't get someone to his skill sets).
To be fair, someone with Williamson's skillset only comes along once in a blue moon, and when one does, Illinois ain't getting him.

IllFanInMi

I
This will be unpopular, but watched all of the DePaul game and they look really good and have 2 legitimate D1 bigs in Reed and Butz, a 3rd guy Olujobi (NC A&T) transfer played the part also. Strus is a stud and I will be surprised if he’s not on an NBA roster next year. Oh how it seems odd to see DePaul with bigs we would take in a second, along with a current top 20 recruiting class. They don’t have near the guard talent and depth, so an interesting comparison to I’ll.

Deleted member 746094

D
Um, yes. Not sure of your point - so let me take a stab - are you putting money down Duke will beat the top 5 teams by 30+ points this year? But maybe you're making my point - Alabama has only played 2 top 25 teams this year - one barely in the top 25.

If Duke plays like it did the other night they may not win by 30+ points every game, but I don’t see anyone in the country challenging them. Once again, this is dependent on them playing at the level they did against Kentucky. They have that much talent this year. Three of their freshman would be starting in the NBA right now if they weren’t forced to go to college.

This will be unpopular, but watched all of the DePaul game and they look really good and have 2 legitimate D1 bigs in Reed and Butz, a 3rd guy Olujobi (NC A&T) transfer played the part also. Strus is a stud and I will be surprised if he’s not on an NBA roster next year. Oh how it seems odd to see DePaul with bigs we would take in a second, along with a current top 20 recruiting class. They don’t have near the guard talent and depth, so an interesting comparison to I’ll.

Not so unpopular, it is an observation. I would not go into Strus making an NBA roster yet, but he is a very good college player indeed. Reed, Butz and Olujobi are definitely serviceable on the frontcourt. I was less surprised with JCL's defense, I do not think he looked that bad. His defense I thought was OK. What mostly surprised me was how tentative he was on offense. He did not look very comfortable and he was deferring too much.

Not sure what your point is but it does not make sense. Duke is extremely talented, looks like the clear #1 team. Just because they beat Kentucky (a good team) by 30+ points does not mean that they will beat all other teams by 30+ points even if they are inferior to Kentucky. That is not how basketball works.