12/13 News & Notes - Ron Zook is at Illinois' practice

I don't think it's a mistake; it's a classy thing to do, IMO. There is always a human side to sports; Zook is showing the players he is man enough to move on.

I will always remember that Ron Turner showed up wearing orange at the National Semifinal against Louisville about 4 months after he got fired. Says a lot about the man.

So does Zook coming back to practice.

Dave
AGREE, class act to support the people he recruited and wish them well. Plus the staff he hired is still mostly there and he supports them. People making too much about nothing with Zook present.

AGREE, class act to support the people he recruited and wish them well. Plus the staff he hired is still mostly there and he supports them. People making too much about nothing with Zook present.
From his interview today , VK clearly thinks highly of RZ and the way he has carried himself since being let go...

This is one of the strangest things I have heard. What good is coming out of this selfish act? You had your chance with the team; they are headed by someone else now. Let go, dude. Just let go!

There's a difference. Head coaches of college football programs aren't just "bosses." They're mentors, leaders, and damn near family to a lot of player. You spend a lot of time with someone four year in a row and a bond is formed. Not something that just goes away because Zook got fired.

I doubt he is causing any problems by being there. If he somehow causes the Illini to lose in the Hunger Bowl just because he was at a practice or two, then I don't think we would really deserve to win anyway.

I am sure he will keep in touch with his former players for a long time.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
There's a difference. Head coaches of college football programs aren't just "bosses." They're mentors, leaders, and damn near family to a lot of player. You spend a lot of time with someone four year in a row and a bond is formed. Not something that just goes away because Zook got fired.

I doubt he is causing any problems by being there. If he somehow causes the Illini to lose in the Hunger Bowl just because he was at a practice or two, then I don't think we would really deserve to win anyway.

I am sure he will keep in touch with his former players for a long time.
RZ attended the banquet and one would expect he said his goodbyes there. I have no doubt that his heart is in the right place, that's not something I've ever questioned with Zook. What I question is where his head is.

Yes, and this is why it is doubly important that he let go. He isn't their primary mentor any more. And the last thing Beckman needs is for current players to be actively communicating with the former coach.

RZ attended the banquet and one would expect he said his goodbyes there. I have no doubt that his heart is in the right place, that's not something I've ever questioned with Zook. What I question is where his head is.
+1

If Ron Zook wants to come back in 4 years, great. For now he needs to say goodbye and hand over the program to Beckman.

Really?! I would be pretty upset if I was Beckman, maybe he feels differently because of how his players responded when he left. However, I agree with GHD on this one.

It is important that he players be able to let go and start to form an attachment with their new coach. For that reason, it is not a good idea for Ron Zook to be attending Illinois practices. Not to mention that he is a major distraction at a time with the players already have plenty of distractions.
They need to move on from Zook and realize TB is the man in charge now. I feel that Zook's presence underminds Beckman's authority a little.

The football banquet was awesome. RZ was there, there was a lot of emotion in that room. The players love him, they vowed to win the bowl game for him. It does not add confusion. It's about a bond, give the man 2 weeks. Go Illini!!!!!!!

I have only casually followed the football stories (I follow basketball much more closely), but everything about the Zook firing/Beckman hiring seems dysfunctional to me. Zook's firing seemed abrupt considering we were still bowl eligible (may be a statement firing by the AD). But then we hire a new coach within 2 weeks (seems fast to me, how can ANYONE make a high level hiring decision within 2 weeks?), and now Zook is back at practice. The poor kids have got to be confused...is the speed at which all this is happening normal? Were we afraid of losing quality candidates if we didn't act? What would be wrong with letting Vic finish out the season and then taking our time? This all may have been discussed in other threads which I have not read, but all these headlines just scream "dysfunction" to me.
Your feelings are because you don't follow the football much!:tsk:

Springfield, IL
It actually makes me like Zook even more (still don't want him back), as it shows he can keep his ego in check. It would take a lot to be able to watch a team you recruited and coached, but had been relieved from doing so, especially so recently. It shows how much he really does care about those guys.

To clairify this, it appears he was only at practice briefly at the beginning so it's not like he was there the whole time. Still don't necessarily agree with it but just wanted to point that out.

They need to give the Zooker a recruiting gig! Dude can recruit.
Go read the data by coaching by the numbers.
His recruiting at FL was lower than the prior or following coach.
His recruiting at IL started off good, and withered.

Whether he is burned out or if he had a flash of prowess, he is gone and he should stay away.

Go read the data by coaching by the numbers.
His recruiting at FL was lower than the prior or following coach.
His recruiting at IL started off good, and withered.

Whether he is burned out or if he had a flash of prowess, he is gone and he should stay away.
He was a great recruiter at Illinois when we had a staff full of recruiters who couldn't coach. When we brought in guys who could coach, the recruiting really fell off. To be fair, the 2008 and 2009 performances and Zook uncertain tenure also hurt recruiting.

He was a great recruiter at Illinois when we had a staff full of recruiters who couldn't coach. When we brought in guys who could coach, the recruiting really fell off. To be fair, the 2008 and 2009 performances and Zook uncertain tenure also hurt recruiting.
I really think that some of the earlier coaches were better recruiters. His numbers are inflated, as we have said so many times, by recruits who never showed up.

Compared to Ron Turner, yes he is a great recruiter. I wish we could get recruiting numbers earlier than 2002. OH WELL.

Coachingbythenumbers.com

Ron ZOok Recruiting
Year = Rank; total recruits; 5 stars, 4 stare, avg stars
Florida
2002 = 20; 21, 2, 7, 2.95
2003 = 4; 28, 5, 14, 3.68
2004 = 8; 24, 1, 9, 3.33
Illinois
2005 = 45; 19, 2, 1, 2.68
2006 = 28; 27, 0, 3, 2.70
2007 = 20; 21, 2, 5, 3.14
2008 = 19; 28, 0, 6, 2.93
2009 = 35; 22, 0, 5, 2.77
2010 = 57; 22, 0, 1, 2.45
2011 = 35; 29, 0, 1, 2.69

Ron Turner Recruiting Rank
no data before 2002
Year = Rank; total recruits; 5 stars, 4 stare, avg stars
2002 = 47; 22, 1, 3, 1.95
2003 = 31; 28, 1, 3, 2.61
2004 = 44; 24, 0, 0, 2.25

I really think that some of the earlier coaches were better recruiters. His numbers are inflated, as we have said so many times, by recruits who never showed up.
That is certainly true of a few heralded classes that had huge wipe out rates, 2005 and 2007 were the worst. To really move the numbers on recruiting you have to win consistently and he was never able to do that.