1993 Illini win vs Iowa

Will never forget that shot. One of those you'll always remember where you were when that happened moments. I was with my girlfriend having dinner with her and her father in his moose lodge club in Cedar Rapids and the game was on there. I lost it celebrating in a room filled with Hawkeye fans when Kaufman hit the shot. My girlfriend (now my wife) and her dad were not happy with me!! :chief:

Will never forget that shot. One of those you'll always remember where you were when that happened moments.

My wife was in labor and I was beside her, telling her to breathe and screaming at the TV. The nurse was like WTF but I didn't care. Oh, happy 25th birthday to my wonderful daughter!

My wife was in labor and I was beside her, telling her to breathe and screaming at the TV. The nurse was like WTF but I didn't care. Oh, happy 25th birthday to my wonderful daughter!

Happy birthday to your daughter. What a great double-memory. My son was born a few hours before "The Frank Williams Show" against Iowa.

The Kaufmann shot was my one court-storm in four years in Illinois, which I've always felt was the right ratio. The shot went in, I grabbed my coat and ran without even checking if anyone else would. Luckily, everyone else did. Those Assembly Hall ushers could be ornery. (Does anyone else remember the incident with the two old guys and the "600" sign?)

It meant so much after two years of suffering due to Iowa and was justice because Iowa went ahead basically on a carom of Acie Earl's shoulder.

Last edited:

Tacomallini

Washington State
Happy birthday to your daughter. What a great double-memory. My son was born a few hours before "The Frank Williams Show" against Iowa.

The Kaufmann shot was my one court-storm in four years in Illinois, which I've always felt was the right ratio. The shot went in, I grabbed my coat and ran without even checking if anyone else would. Luckily, everyone else did. Those Assembly Hall ushers could be ornery. (Does anyone else remember the incident with the two old guys and the "600" sign?)

It meant so much after two years of suffering due to Iowa and was justice because Iowa went ahead basically on a carom of Acie Earl's shoulder.

I do not remember that. Can you explain?

I do not remember that. Can you explain?

A week or two before the Kaufmann shot, Lou Henson won his 600th game, I believe against Penn State. Immediately following the game, two men, who seemed to at least as old as Lou, walked on to the court, holding a sign reading "600" and started walking around so the fans could see it.

These were, I emphasize, not rowdy kids storming the court. I assume they were Rebounders' Club members, and judging from their seats, they likely had given a substantial amount to the program. Had nothing ever happened afterward, everyone would have assumed that this was a authorized, low-key celebration.

But the Assembly Hall ushers sprung into action and wrestled the men down, ripping their sign away. Luckily, I don't think they were hurt, so it ended up being shocking/funny and I think Krush parodied the incident at the next game.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I was a student usher at AH for three years. We were paid to work any and every event there , including basketball games. I do recall there being some older , retired townie men who I think worked the games for free, in exchange for floor duty or other "security" detail down on the floor or in the tunnels.

We students only worked the two concourses the A/B level and the B/C level. Once you were there a year or so, the grad students in charge would give prime duty to many of us guys who were fans. In all my years there, I never recall any incident at a ball game. I watched many games from the tunnel behind Neale Stoners box. Big Vance Redfern, Neale's asst, would hang out there by me most games.

The hardest event I ever had to work was the Grateful Dead (in about 1980 or 1981) as a bunch of the attendees were traveling deadheads. They didn't want to respect seat numbers and wanted access to the main floor at all costs, other than money. It was like herding cats.

The Ozzy Osbourne show around that same time was also a trip. I'm working the edge of the stage, I wanted to , cuz I was a huge Black Sabbath fan in the 1970's. Ozzy comes out for the first song, sings about 10 words and falls flat on his face. He totally fainted or passed out. All the while the two guitarists (Randy Rhodes, RIP, died in a small plane crash 2 months later) and the bassist just kept on shredding the axe. Ozzy is out cold. A few roadies run out, act terrified and motion backstage for help. Within 10-15 minutes he's taken out on a gurney and the lights come on. Show is over. Talk about a bunch of angry fans, many who drove hours to get there. They were ready to take it out on us, just to vent. Not a fun night .

I was there. I'm sure time and age are playing havoc with my memory, but as I recall it, as Deon Thomas and Earl were jumping to get a rebound under Iowa's basket with the game tied the ball caromed off of Thomas's shoulder and back up and into the basket.

I was there. I'm sure time and age are playing havoc with my memory, but as I recall it, as Deon Thomas and Earl were jumping to get a rebound under Iowa's basket with the game tied the ball caromed off of Thomas's shoulder and back up and into the basket.

Yes, Iowa took an outside shot for the win that was so bad it hit the bottom of the rim. Deon and Earl had their hands above the rim fighting for the rebound and it hit Deon's shoulder and bounced into the hoop, though I think Earl got credit for the basket.

Even the official press score sheet, where it would usually say "layup" or "jumper" to note a basket read something like: "some sort of weird carom thing."

Yes, Iowa took an outside shot for the win that was so bad it hit the bottom of the rim. Deon and Earl had their hands above the rim fighting for the rebound and it hit Deon's shoulder and bounced into the hoop, though I think Earl got credit for the basket.

Even the official press score sheet, where it would usually say "layup" or "jumper" to note a basket read something like: "some sort of weird carom thing."

I mean what a roller coaster ride that was in a matter of a couple seconds. From the worst heartbreak to jubilation we still celebrate 25 years later!!!!

Oh....and I REALLY HATE ACIE EARL!!!

Deleted member 186590

D
I was at the game as well. I do remember wanting to storm the court, but for some reason the ushers had control of our section and we couldn't get on the court.

It was a frustrating 4 years post final four, but that memory is a top 3 at AH for me for sure.

ILLINIWEK86

Dick Vitale walks into a bar..
Fisher
This game is the cornerstone of my Illini fandom. I was seven years old, and it was the first game I had ever seen in person. My grandfather was a ticket holder for many years, and I can remember how cool I thought it was that he helped build the Assembly Hall and that he wanted me to tag a long to watch the Illini beat the "Dirt Birds" as he liked to call them. My parents worked very odd hours, so I spent a lot of time watching games with Grandpa.

After that game, he started leaving my grandma at home, and I became his go-to game partner.

Fast forward and few years, and there I am again, sitting with Grandpa. This time we watched Frank Williams racing against the clock, in a tie game, come down the floor and absolutely drill a three at the buzzer to beat Ohio State.

The reason I mention the OSU game isn't all because it was a great buzzer beater. I mention it because it was the last game I ever got to watch with my grandfather. He passed away unexpectedly, but peacefully in his sleep that very night.

You see, my grandfather was not a man to show emotion, like ever. Illini basketball unlocked all of that, and I got to see him in a totally different light than most other people besides my grandmother.

Those are moments that will stay with me for a lifetime. My daughter is 6 years old this year, and she is finally showing a very vested interest in sports. Especially, Illinois athletics. She will attend her first game against Nebraska coming up. I'm going to do it just like my grandpa, and not even tell her where we are going. She won't know what's going on until we get there.

Win or lose, I know from my own experience, it's something that she will never forget.