Game Info: 7:00 PM | TV: ESP3

Missouri needs to beat Arkansas
Game Info: 8:00 PM | TV: SECN

Northwestern needs to beat Minnesota
Game Info: 8:00 PM | TV: BTN

Oregon needs to beat Colorado
Game Info: 10:00 PM | TV: ESPU

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/jerry-palm-reader

Oregon and Miami winning are double edged swords since they are potentially in bubble territory. (Both are currently on the bad side of the bubble.) Still, I think we probably want them to win (and all the other bubble teams to lose).

Bubble games (teams we want to win are bolded):
228 East Carolina at 51 Tulsa (7pm ESPNU)
41 Xavier at 34 Cincy -- ?? (6pm ESPN2) (I'm probably going with Cincy here to hurt Xavier's chances, but Xavier winning could improve chances that both miss it.)
63 Davidson at 76 GW (6pm)
39 Umass at 69 URI (6pm)
24 Providence at 137 Depaul (8pm CBSSN) (Providence seems to be well in, but losing this might slide them to the edge of the bubble)
37 UCLA at 97 Arizona St (8pm ESPN2)
28 Colorado St. at 213 Fresno St. (9pm ESPN3)

Other good games:

- 14 Iowa St. @ 22 Ok St. 8pm ESPNU
- 15 UNC at 4 Duke 8pm ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Minnesota (-10) vs. Northwestern is favored by more than Wisconsin (-9.5) at PSU. Granted, PSU>NU, but still gives you an idea of what home court is worth. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Lots of games today.

All times CT

From the Palm reader:

How the Fighting Illini Can Boost Their RPI Today

American needs to beat Boston University
Game Info: 6:00 PM | TV: CBS Sports Network

Miami (Fla.) needs to beat Virginia Tech
Game Info: 6:00 PM | TV: ESFC

Indiana State needs to beat Missouri State
Game Info: 7:00 PM | TV: ESP3

Missouri needs to beat Arkansas
Game Info: 8:00 PM | TV: SECN

Northwestern needs to beat Minnesota
Game Info: 8:00 PM | TV: BTN

Oregon needs to beat Colorado
Game Info: 10:00 PM | TV: ESPU

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/jerry-palm-reader

Oregon and Miami winning are double edged swords since they are potentially in bubble territory. (Both are currently on the bad side of the bubble.) Still, I think we probably want them to win (and all the other bubble teams to lose).

Bubble games (teams we want to win are bolded):
228 East Carolina at 51 Tulsa (7pm ESPNU)
41 Xavier at 34 Cincy -- ?? (6pm ESPN2) (I'm probably going with Cincy here to hurt Xavier's chances, but Xavier winning could improve chances that both miss it.)
63 Davidson at 76 GW (6pm)
39 Umass at 69 URI (6pm)
24 Providence at 137 Depaul (8pm CBSSN) (Providence seems to be well in, but losing this might slide them to the edge of the bubble)
37 UCLA at 97 Arizona St (8pm ESPN2)
28 Colorado St. at 213 Fresno St. (9pm ESPN3)

Other good games:

- 14 Iowa St. @ 22 Ok St. 8pm ESPNU
- 15 UNC at 4 Duke 8pm ESPN

It might help our RPI a tad for Miami to win, but it's unlikely to be significant enough to have any real effect on us. I'd rather have them drop out of the bubble so we can have one less team to worry about.

I'm sure you didn't mean to bold Tulsa, I would love for them to lose.

New York
It might help our RPI a tad for Miami to win, but it's unlikely to be significant enough to have any real effect on us. I'd rather have them drop out of the bubble so we can have one less team to worry about.

I'm sure you didn't mean to bold Tulsa, I would love for them to lose.

Correct- meant to bold East Carolina. Unlikely to win, but would be nice.

Re Miami - yeah, they and Oregon are same boat - we lost to both. They're not bad losses. We are potentially competing with them for bubble spot. Mixed bag. Could break either way, so hard to know what exactly we're rooting for. We're rooting for both to finish just on the wrong side of the bubble, I guess. Unless we finish well, in which case we're playing for seeding and we'd rather they do well so our schedule looks a little better.

Re Miami - yeah, they and Oregon are same boat - we lost to both. They're not bad losses. We are potentially competing with them for bubble spot. Mixed bag. Could break either way, so hard to know what exactly we're rooting for. We're rooting for both to finish just on the wrong side of the bubble, I guess. Unless we finish well, in which case we're playing for seeding and we'd rather they do well so our schedule looks a little better.
I love that this is even a possibility after all that has happened this season.

Pittsburgh

It is a stretch to say UI is on the bubble right now. In 84 of 89 brackets and 7 teams in less of the brackets are projected in right now. Miami (the first team projected out) only appears in 28 brackets. That is a substantial gap so I think you root for Miami. Best case is UI takes care of business and Miami makes it boosting UI's resume slightly by the nature of having one more tournament team on their ledger.

In general you want as many of your opponents in the tournament as possible to improve your resume as long as that does not jeopardize your own spot. Currently UI's spot is not in jeopardy. It also shouldn't be unless they regress and lose a game they shouldn't. It is doubtful that enough occurs over the next 3 weeks for 7 teams to pass UI. I actually think the opposite is more likely given the opportunities on the schedule for UI to climb the ladder a little more. I think a 7 seed is probably the ceiling at this point though.

Currently UI's spot is not in jeopardy.

If we go 2-3 (entirely realistic outcome) we will likely be in the last 4 in or last 4 out. Even going 3-2 (winning the three at home) doesn't do much for resume building. Those other teams on the bubble may have chances for much bigger, resume building wins than MSU, that could help them jump us. Obviously BTT will play a factor, but there is little comfortable about Illinois' spot in the tournament right now in my mind.

New York
It is a stretch to say UI is on the bubble right now. In 84 of 89 brackets and 7 teams in less of the brackets are projected in right now. Miami (the first team projected out) only appears in 28 brackets. That is a substantial gap so I think you root for Miami. Best case is UI takes care of business and Miami makes it boosting UI's resume slightly by the nature of having one more tournament team on their ledger.

In general you want as many of your opponents in the tournament as possible to improve your resume as long as that does not jeopardize your own spot. Currently UI's spot is not in jeopardy. It also shouldn't be unless they regress and lose a game they shouldn't. It is doubtful that enough occurs over the next 3 weeks for 7 teams to pass UI. I actually think the opposite is more likely given the opportunities on the schedule for UI to climb the ladder a little more. I think a 7 seed is probably the ceiling at this point though.

Yes, if you're optimistic about us, root for all of our past opponents on or near the bubble. I am a little more cautious - I certainly don't take for granted that we'll beat MSU on Sunday, for instance, and if that doesn't happen, then we're right back in the middle of the bubble. Given that, I'm on the fence about whether to root for Miami and Oregon. I think more likely than not, their wins help us overall, but there is a chance they screw us.

Yes, if you're optimistic about us, root for all of our past opponents on or near the bubble. I am a little more cautious - I certainly don't take for granted that we'll beat MSU on Sunday, for instance, and if that doesn't happen, then we're right back in the middle of the bubble. Given that, I'm on the fence about whether to root for Miami and Oregon. I think more likely than not, their wins help us overall, but there is a chance they screw us.

I think there's a much a chance for us to lose at home to MSU as there is for us to get a win at either Purdue or Iowa.

New York
I think there's a much a chance for us to lose at home to MSU as there is for us to get a win at either Purdue or Iowa.

I'd put as slight favorites against MSU at home, slight dogs at Iowa, and moderate dogs at Purdue. Very realistic chance of winning or losing any of the games.

The gap is much smaller than you might think. One bad loss and we could be back on the wrong side of the bubble, or only in 20-40 brackets instead of 84. The brackets only help show where we'd be if teams were selected today. Teams seeded 8 or below can still drop out in the next few weeks.

Florida fans must be frustrated this year. They had 3 elite 8's in a row, followed by a final four run, and now they have to put up with this. They have two 5 star sophomore recruits, and a 5 star freshman but they seem to be the most underwhelming players on the team so far.

Los Angeles
Florida fans must be frustrated this year. They had 3 elite 8's in a row, followed by a final four run, and now they have to put up with this. They have two 5 star sophomore recruits, and a 5 star freshman but they seem to be the most underwhelming players on the team so far.

I'm really surprised how mediocre Kasey Hill is. I thought he would be a one & done PG out of Monteverde. Russell is twice the player he is.

ISU 7 BU 5 halfway through the first half. I think I'm gonna watch one of several other games on tonight. Secondly, we're UI fans excited when Shaw signed? He doesn't even look like a low major player, let alone MVC level (you could argue no one at BU is). I just don't remember.

Okafor's sprain looked so bad on the replay, it's crazy that he's back on the bench. Duke's playing inspired now.

Okafor's sprain looked so bad on the replay, it's crazy that he's back on the bench. Duke's playing inspired now.

You never know with sprains until the next day. You can often tape up a pretty bad sprain and compete the day of. He'd be a huge loss for them if he were to miss any significant time.