2/26 Games

jmilt7

Waukegan
Pitino's teams continue their history of under performance and lack of focus/discipline
Agree. He did win B1G coach of the year in 2016-17 but other than that year seems as if he has not had much success. I always wondered how he got a B1G gig in the first place. Head coach experience before MN was one year at Florida International. When he took over the Gophers he was like 30 years old (more or less). Was it just his name that got him the job?

Gophers’ latest meltdown could cost Richard Pitino his job

Agree. He did win B1G coach of the year in 2016-17 but other than that year seems as if he has not had much success. I always wondered how he got a B1G gig in the first place. Head coach experience before MN was one year at Florida International. When he took over the Gophers he was like 30 years old (more or less). Was it just his name that got him the job?

Pitino is just as slimey (though perhaps less devious) as his father, and about half as good of a coach. His pressers show how egotistical he is (last nights was a fun one, for one that hits closer to home see his comments about DMW after our game) and he's probably top 3 for my least favorite B1G coaches.

He's not a bad coach and Minnesota isn't a traditional power, but they can do better. It'll be interesting to see if he can land Holmgren early and perhaps save his job, but short of that he might not even last another year.

The two games last night were interesting. It shows you that no lead is safe. I thought RU played the last possession terribly. Geo should have had the ball last. The Mn game RP was outcoached. I hope we don't see that in our game tonight. We get a lead and then give it up. Get Kopp or the Lacrosse player in foul trouble.

To modify the old adage, "It's not what you know, it's who your dad knows." :p

If I'm Minny's AD, I go to Beillein and offer him $25M for 5 years.

Last edited:
To modify the old adage, "It's not what you know, it's who your dad knows." :p

If I'm Minny's AD, I go to Beillein and offer him $25M for 5 years.
I was not convinced on Beilein with Michigan but he obviously proved me wrong.

At the same time, I'm just not convinced he can replicate that at Minnesota. Tougher to recruit to, smaller budget, bad geographical location for basketball. I don't know what Beilein's recruiting foot print was at Michigan. If he showed himself a national recruiter, that might change my opinion a bit.