2012 Movies

Share your reviews on this summer's blockbusters!

So I went and saw Ted the other night. Epic. Absolutely hilarious. Not for kids, at all, but if you can stand some crude humor it is well worth your time.

I hear Magic Mike also did well....

Think I'm gonna head to Salt Lake tomorrow to see Ted because who knows when it will come to our tiny 3 screen theater. Maybe buy a tv while I'm at it.

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
Definitely want to see Ted soon. I saw Moonrise Kingdom last night, it was about 90 degrees in the Art Theater but if you don't mind movies that are a little quirky it was a really good one! Probably going to see the new Spidey today too, and already got my midnight ticket for Dark Knight Rises. All this after not seeing a movie in probably 8 months, I think the last one I'd seen before Moonrise Kingdom was Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

"The Good Land", WI
Went and saw Savages last night. It is a violent film about marijuana growers in California and the Mexican drug war.

It was entertaining with a lot of action but I would definitely save it for the "rent from redbox" category.

Super pumped for Ted and Dark Knight Rises

Let's see, what else have I seen lately. Guess the movie we saw before Ted was Snow White and the Huntsman. It was pretty good, nothing spectacular, but not as bad as you might think or as some reviews have said. Fairly predictable outcome and not really "horror" like some reviews might indicate, but pretty good visual effects.

Before that was The Avengers, which was also quite good. I haven't seen all the other movies like Thor or Captain America (just the two Iron Man movies), which I am told you'll like The Avengers more if you've seen those. I still thought it was quite good, with good action and actually a fair amount of humor throughout.

Before that was The Hunger Games, which I also thought was very good. Won't turn this thread political but the movie made me feel a bit nervous....

Last one is Underworld: Awakening. Not that great, but good God is Kate Beckensale hot. :faint:

That's all I've got so far.

Tiny Illini
The basement of the Alamo
Razor, if you haven't read the The Hunger Games trilogy I highly recommend it. Loved the movie. I plan on pre-ordering the DVD later this week. I'm a big fan of dystopian fiction in general, but these hit a nerve a la Fahrenheit 451. :)

I don't see a lot of movies in theaters anymore. Might see Breaking Dawn Part II, as I am ashamed to say I've read all the Twilight books and I did somewhat enjoy the conclusion. I skipped Breaking Dawn Part I because the reviews were so bad and I can't stand Kristen Stewart. But I don't really like the books that much, I swear! My daughter won't be allowed to read them until I'm sure it won't mess with her self-esteen. :p

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
Razor, if you haven't read the The Hunger Games trilogy I highly recommend it. Loved the movie. I plan on pre-ordering the DVD later this week. I'm a big fan of dystopian fiction in general, but these hit a nerve a la Fahrenheit 451. :)
Have you read the Divergent series (Veronica Roth)? I liked it better than the Hunger Games trilogy. I read that Lions Gate has picked up the film rights and should begin shooting within the next year.

I don't see a lot of movies in theaters anymore. Might see Breaking Dawn Part II, as I am ashamed to say I've read all the Twilight books and I did somewhat enjoy the conclusion. I skipped Breaking Dawn Part I because the reviews were so bad and I can't stand Kristen Stewart. But I don't really like the books that much, I swear! My daughter won't be allowed to read them until I'm sure it won't mess with her self-esteen. :p
My wife has read the trilogy. I may get to them someday, just don't usually have the time in the summer.

I refuse to see or read the Breaking Dawn stuff, probably just due to the pre-teen hype. My wife has read them all and seen the movies, though.

Don't mind Kristen Stewart since I don't see her in the movies only in pictures. :D

I may be in the minority here because I know it's made a lot of money already, but "Ted" didn't thrill me. First half of the movie was very funny, but second half I was pretty bored. I don't know if the shock value had worn off by then or what. By the end I was more than ready for it to be over. Maybe my expectations were too high?

I may be in the minority here because I know it's made a lot of money already, but "Ted" didn't thrill me. First half of the movie was very funny, but second half I was pretty bored. I don't know if the shock value had worn off by then or what. By the end I was more than ready for it to be over. Maybe my expectations were too high?
Yeah the first half was certainly funnier, but I think it was the second half that, while still funny, made it a coherent movie with a plot. Just my opinion.

Tiny Illini
The basement of the Alamo
Have you read the Divergent series (Veronica Roth)? I liked it better than the Hunger Games trilogy. I read that Lions Gate has picked up the film rights and should begin shooting within the next year.
Never heard of them but now I am intrigued and will read. Thanks! :)

Northwoods of Wisconsin
Wanderlust just came out on DVD. (Paul Rudd, Jenifer Aniston, Alan Alda) It's a comedy about a couple who leave the city and accidently end up at a hippie like commune in Georgia. Sex, drugs (and not enough rock n' roll) while the hippies try to save the commune from the evil developers. My wife and I thought it was over the top, funny and a good time (and we weren't stoned.)

Don't wake me up at 4 AM when you leave!

I want to see it, but I don't want to go to bed at 4 AM. Wife is on call this weekend, so we'll probably go see it early next week.

Woodridge, IL
Ted had its moments but in the end was just too long. I liked Spider-Man. Was at first sceptical about a reboot so soon, but I really enjoyed it. I'm so excited for Dark Knight Rises though. Ive been so excited for this movie for like a year now that I can't believe it's almost time for it to be released.

I've not seen any of the Spider-Man movies at all. I do have tickets to see TDKR Friday night at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, TX. Anyone else been there? You pay a premium on the beer and food but it's fun for the occasional night out. I've not seen anyone comment on Prometheus yet. The previews looked really awesome. I will be back home in Phoenix next week and want to go see it. I just watched Blade Runner last night for the umpteenth time and have been waiting for years to see if Ridley Scott gets involved with a prequel/sequel, which is rumored to be in the works.

I've not seen any of the Spider-Man movies at all. I do have tickets to see TDKR Friday night at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, TX. Anyone else been there? You pay a premium on the beer and food but it's fun for the occasional night out. I've not seen anyone comment on Prometheus yet. The previews looked really awesome. I will be back home in Phoenix next week and want to go see it. I just watched Blade Runner last night for the umpteenth time and have been waiting for years to see if Ridley Scott gets involved with a prequel/sequel, which is rumored to be in the works.
Tomorrow night, the Alamo is going to show Batman Begins at 6, Dark Knight at 9, and Dark Knight Rises at 12... but they sold out of tickets before I could buy them! I guess I will have to settle for DKR on the Imax on Friday.

As for Prometheus, I saw it and still have no idea if I liked it or not. They spend so much time setting up questions that they don't have time to get around to answering all of them.