2016-17 Illini Golf

Great year!! It is amazing the consistency this program has put together. The breaks will fall their way one of these years and they will get the championship they deserve. Really proud of the effort of this team.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
Not sure what this means, you think we had the same advantage? Nope, not close.

And Oregon has a better team this year, if that's where you were headed.

I was just echoing some of the claims about them last year with tongue firmly in cheek. They are plainly a good team also.

rdillini

northbrook, il
Just a thought or two on the end of this golf season. Was a great run yet again, that just fell short. Qualified for Final 4 yet again. That is an amazing accomplishment in any sport but especially difficult in golf. The Illini are most definitely a "blue blood" in golf. I am proud of them and the Illini Nation that came out to support the team this week. Loved all the orange Thanks to Coach Small for building the program and especially the players that just love to compete year in and year out. Can't wait for next year.

Konnie

Western Suburbs
Anyone know why Lipparelli is turning pro. Seems like another year under Small's tutelage would really be beneficial to him.

Anyone know why Lipparelli is turning pro. Seems like another year under Small's tutelage would really be beneficial to him.

Italy has the Ryder Cup in 2022 and their sports federation is trying to make a big push to have an Italian player on that team. So I think they are going to help him get his career started with some support. Personally I think that's a long shot, it takes most players a couple of years just to get their tour card, then they have to play well enough to earn a spot on the team or be a captain's pick.

Pieters left Illinois after the 2013 season and made the 2016 team, but that is an unusually quick ascent and he's far more talented than Lipparelli.

Put this squarely in the rumor column, but a fan that I was talking to yesterday on the course (i.e. unknown to me, so no ability to judge knowledge, etc) said "Well, he is an Italian student majoring in Italian and barely staying academically eligible".

I have no idea if this is true, but it would work as an explanation for why someone is moving on.

Dan, remove if you find this inappropriate.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Yep, they lost Aaron Wise who was the #1 college player last year and replaced him with Wyndham Clark, who's one of the top 2-3 guys this year. And they added a stud freshmen at the semester break, too.

I thought I saw World Wide Wes hanging around with Casey Martin... His reach must extend to NCAA golf as well...:)

:chief:

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois

Congrats to Dylan and Nick on the exemptions! Either they wrote the article early or just got it wrong saying that the Illini made it to the quarterfinals. I guess they did but they also made the semifinals. Nice to see our guys getting to play with the tour players.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Really proud of the team. They gave it their all.

Does anyone know what recruits we have coming in???

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
I think they have the younger Kuhl kid from Morton coming in the year after. He'll be a HS senior next year. His older brother plays at Wisconsin.

Can you choose where you want to qualify? Specifically, doing some scouting and think course A is better for my game than course B for example?.

Yes, you pick your choice of sectional sites. Most of the pros end up in the Ohio or Memphis sites because of the PGA schedule - Memorial just finished this weekend in Columbus and the St Judes starts Thursday in Memphis.

The choice is to play at a site with a big field and lots of pros that gets more qualifying spots or go to a smaller site with a weaker field but only a couple of spots available.

Looks like Stricker will get the chance to play in front of the home crowd at Erin Hills. Campbell also in good shape right now. Probably none of the other guys get through. Played well, just not well enough to advance.

Deleted member 3875

D
Nick Hardy wins first Palmer Cup match, 5-4. Way to go Nick!:shield:

Deleted member 3875

D
Nick's Weekend - finishes 2-1-1. Repping the Illini well on the international stage. :illinois: