2017-18 Illini Golf

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Great list, thanks! Only other guy I could find on the site is Joe Affrunti, who hasn't played in almost 2 years. Anybody know what happened to him?

I think he's been injured off and on. Haven't seen his name pop up really. I did see he signed up for one of the two pre-qualifiers the end of this week for the JD Classic. I think those are on Thurs and Friday, with the main qualifier on Monday.

Here's the link to the prequalifiers and qualifier:

https://www.iowapga.com/john-deere-classic/

If you click on Register it will take you to the info page and you can see who's already registered for the prequalifiers, etc.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
After this weekend, there's no question that Dylan's best path to the TOUR will be through TOUR events (as opposed to Web.com events). I'm guessing he will either try to get a sponsor exemption or try to qualify for everything left on the schedule (except majors and the last WGC):

July 12-15: JDC - Already has a sponsor exemption
July 19-22: Barbasol Championship (concurrent event to the Open)
July 26-29: RBC Canadian Open
Aug 2-5: Barracuda Championship (concurrent event to WGC Bridgestone)
Aug 16-19: Wyndham Championship

Dylan should already have enough FedEx points to qualify for the season ending web.com tour championship series (last 4 tourneys on the web.com). If he finishes in the top 25 money winners over those four events, he'll get his PGA tour card for next year. If he finishes from 26-75, I believe he gets his web.com tour card for next year.

Those 4 tourneys start Aug 23-26.

breadman

Herndon, VA
The long-sleeves may be protection against the sun and skin cancer. There are articles about PGA players who've been affected by so much time in the sun.

I hear you on that. What? nobody likes vitamin D? (of course in that heat, it would take no more than 15 to 20 minutes to get your 20,000 IUs for the day)

Deleted member 645583

D
Just checked: Couples, Andy North, Kite have had melanoma issues, among others. Rory Sabbatini, Adam Scott too.

Wearing shorts won't do much as far as skin cancer is concerned. But can you imagine what Ken Venturi might have done if he'd worn shorts at Congressional?

Again, if you're at all interested, get on Illini golf email list for updates.

This from Coach: Tristyn Nowlin, Illini junior, was runnerup at women's Western Amateur at Mistwood in Romeoville. Yes!

I've got a feeling Illinois women are gonna be a power soon.

P.S. Coach's assistant was hired away to be head coach at Toledo. I think that speaks well for Illini women's golf. Plus I've always liked Toledo's rocket logo. Toledo seems like it's beeni NIU's
nemesis for years. But my alma mater has taken control in recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Dylan should already have enough FedEx points to qualify for the season ending web.com tour championship series (last 4 tourneys on the web.com). If he finishes in the top 25 money winners over those four events, he'll get his PGA tour card for next year. If he finishes from 26-75, I believe he gets his web.com tour card for next year.

Those 4 tourneys start Aug 23-26.

Last year, #200 had 82 points. In 2016, #200 had 112 points. He should be in good shape, but probably needs to make another cut or two just to make sure. Plus if he pulls off a big finish (top 3 or so), he could conceivably snag a tour card by getting inside the top 125.

Either way, I'd be surprised if he plays any Web.com events before the Finals (well, maybe an event the weekend of the PGA Championship). I think he'll get 1 or 2 more sponsor exemptions and get in another through Monday qualifying. Dylan has proven he can compete on the big stage so he should be able to get into a couple more tourneys.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
I think he's been injured off and on. Haven't seen his name pop up really. I did see he signed up for one of the two pre-qualifiers the end of this week for the JD Classic. I think those are on Thurs and Friday, with the main qualifier on Monday.

Nice, good luck to Joe! I feel bad for him, he finally made the tour after years of working his way up and then he gets injured. Hopefully he keeps grinding and gets back to the tour. PGA Tour has plenty of late bloomers - Jimmy Walker comes to mind.

Deleted member 645583

D
Last year, #200 had 82 points. In 2016, #200 had 112 points. He should be in good shape, but probably needs to make another cut or two just to make sure. Plus if he pulls off a big finish (top 3 or so), he could conceivably snag a tour card by getting inside the top 125.

Either way, I'd be surprised if he plays any Web.com events before the Finals (well, maybe an event the weekend of the PGA Championship). I think he'll get 1 or 2 more sponsor exemptions and get in another through Monday qualifying. Dylan has proven he can compete on the big stage so he should be able to get into a couple more tourneys.

It 's possible, isn't it, that Dylan can join PGA Tour based on his performance ($) this summer and might not have to go to Q-school? He's done very well so far. On to Deere. Fly Navy, I think you answered my question, but just want to know. Thanks.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
It 's possible, isn't it, that Dylan can join PGA tour based on his performance ($) this summer and might not have to go to Q-school? He's done very well so far. On to Deere.

From Wikipedia:

Those who win their third event of the season during the finals are also fully exempt on the PGA Tour. Players who finish in the top 50 on the Finals list and Top 75 on the regular season money list also are guaranteed full Web.com Tour status for the next season. The remainder will either attempt to regain their cards through Web.com Tour Qualifying School or make use of limited PGA Tour status if available.

So Dylan has two paths to avoid Q-school:

1. Finish with enough points to finish in the top 125 (350 or so), which gets him a PGA Tour card.
2. Finish with enough points for top 200 (which he might already have), THEN finish in the top 25 in the four-event Web.com Finals (for a TOUR card) or top 50 (for a Web.com card).

Anything short of that will likely result in Q-school.

For Nick, assuming he doesn't make a major move in the JDC, he would have to finish top 75 in the Web.com regular season money list to make the Web.com Finals. If he finishes top 100 he will have conditional status, but would probably go through Q-school to try to improve his status. He is currently 169th.

Also, Brian Campbell is 60th, so he should be able to stay in the top 75 and qualify for the Finals. Luke Guthrie is 82nd and has some work to do.

Deleted member 645583

D
Big week for golf in northern Illinois. Some weird-city scheduling: Deere, Champion Tour is at Exmoor and inaugural US Senior Women's Open at Chicago Golf Club.

I think I'll go to Senior Women's, if only because it's one of the few times Chicago Golf Club lets peons like me on its grounds. I was there in 2005, I think, for Walker Cup. Brian Harmon, a fixture on PGA Tour now, was on US team which won.

The women's field is superb. And Chicago Golf Club is my idea of what a golf course should look like. What a beaut! I love trees, but they aren't a factor at CGC. Just golf in a country field.

And tickets are only $30 for one day, $50 for two. The USGA gets it right on pricing, at least.

Go Nick and Dylan and all Illini.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Big week for golf in northern Illinois. Some weird-city scheduling: Deere, Champion Tour is at Exmoor and inaugural US Senior Women's Open at Chicago Golf Club.

I think I'll go to Senior Women's, if only because it's one of the few times Chicago Golf Club lets peons like me on its grounds. I was there in 2005, I think, for Walker Cup. Brian Harmon, a fixture on PGA Tour now, was on US team which won.

The women's field is superb. And Chicago Golf Club is my idea of what a golf course should look like. What a beaut! I love trees, but they aren't a factor at CGC. Just golf in a country field.

And tickets are only $30 for one day, $50 for two. The USGA gets it right on pricing, at least.

Go Nick and Dylan and all Illini.

Just looking at the tee times for the US Senior women's open. Patricia Ehrhart? I wonder if that's the same Patricia Ehrhart that grew up in Peoria and played at Spalding. Anyone know?

I also drove Laura Baugh around Newman when Jill Briles hosted the LPGA charity outing back a few years ago in Peoria. Very nice lady with great stories about life on the LPGA tour. In fact, quite a few of those names have played in that charity event during the years they held it in Peoria.

Have a good time Oleoleahy!!!

Deleted member 645583

D
Thanks, Peoria. And have a great time at Deere if you go. CGC is a lot closer for me.

One favor: if you go to Deere would you raise a placard saying "HI LEO! U DA MAN!"?
Just get near a Golf Channel or CBS camera. Be sure to guzzle plenty of beer before you do.

Do you remember a few years ago when someone set off a cherry bomb or M-80 or small thermonuclear device at Deere? Came from some yahoo on a Rock River pontoon, I think. CBS covered it.

This a a great site! But, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, I'm leery about a forum that would have someone like me as a contributor.

Have fun and always stop putts from rolling more than 3 feet past the hole.

Thanks, Peoria. And have a great time at Deere if you go. CGC is a lot closer for me.

One favor: if you go to Deere would you raise a placard saying "HI LEO! U DA MAN!"?
Just get near a Golf Channel or CBS camera. Be sure to guzzle plenty of beer before you do.

Do you remember a few years ago when someone set off a cherry bomb or M-80 or small thermonuclear device at Deere? Came from some yahoo on a Rock River pontoon, I think. CBS covered it.

This a a great site! But, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, I'm leery about a forum that would have someone like me as a contributor.

Have fun and always stop putts from rolling more than 3 feet past the hole.

I must say, you are in a pretty silly mood for a Monday morning !
Refreshing !

Deleted member 645583

D
That's because I'm retired and have nothing better to do as I wait for Special Olympics golf practice this afternoon. Thanks for the "refreshing" comment. Could have been a lot worse.

Peoria Illini: your wish is my command.

It appears you may be right about Patricia Ehrhart. Her residence is listed as Honolulu, Hawaii. She played in Washington State Amateur and a recap said she had family in the midwest. A Peoria Journal Star article said a freshman, "Patty" Ehrhart played for a Peoria high school. It appears she had a sister who played on the same team.

Not conclusive, but I think so.

Feel: yeah, silly comments, but I get a kick out of them and even laugh at my own feeble attempts at humor.
I got it bad. And just you wait for my next post!

Deleted member 645583

D
This is not the great "next post" I alluded to, just a clarification.

I said I was waiting for Special O golf practice; should have been "looking forward to" practice. I've been a coach for some 15 years and love it. Please, all of you, get involved in Special O in any sport. You'll be glad you did.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
No qualifying for Illini alum Joe Affrunti in the JDC monday qualifier as he's listed as WD.

https://iowapga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/iowapga18/event/iowapga1815/contest/17/leaderboard.htm

Current top spot goes to Sean McCarty, head teaching pro at Brown Deer GC, a public course in Coralville, Iowa (outside of Iowa City), at -7. Top 4 scores qualify for the tourney. McCarty also qualified for the PGA Championship in August as he finished 2nd in the PGA club pro championships. Only bad news about him? Iowa Hawkeye grad... LOL

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Three Squawkeye alumni and one UCLA grad are the four that qualified for the JDC on Monday.

Bullington, McCarty and India were the top three, all played at Iowa. Bullington and India are from the Chicago suburbs.

Manav Shah from UCLA claimed the fourth and final spot.

Deleted member 645583

D
FYI: Friday is Illini Day at the Deere, according to Illinois golf newsletter.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
First round updates;

JDC - PGA tour:

Finished.

Nick Hardy -5, currently tied for 6th place. Still lots of golfers on the course though.
DA Points -2, tied for 42nd place.
Steve Stricker -1, tied for 68th place.

Dylan Meyer also -1, through three holes.

Web.com tour out in Utah:

Luke Guthrie tied for first place after his first round at -8.
Brian Campbell hasn't teed off yet.

Champions Tour in Chicago:

Mike Small -3 through 10 holes, tied for 14th

European Tour - Scottish Open

Thomas Pieters -2, tied for 45th
Thoms Detry - Even, tied for 97th

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Small leading the Senior Players Championship after day 1.....Wow hope we don't lose our coach to the tour.

Deleted member 645583

D
The John Deere Classic: what class!

And speaking of class, good for Steverino Stricker. He could have played Constellation major. But Golf channel guy asked him if he had to choose between the two or something like and he said "no way". Deere all the way.

Again, ridiculous scheduling: two majors in Chicago area and a great PGA Tour event in the same week. What were they thinking?

It's great to see so many Illini doing well, especially Luke Guthrie.

Deleted member 645583

D
Joanne Carner shoots a 79 at Women's Senior at age 79!

And Thomas Pieters making move at Scottish Open.

Women's Open is on FSN1 today at 1:30 p.m., they say. If you want to see a great golf course, albeit on television, please watch.

Joanne Carner shoots a 79 at Women's Senior at age 79!

And Thomas Pieters making move at Scottish Open.

Women's Open is on FSN1 today at 1:30 p.m., they say. If you want to see a great golf course, albeit on television, please watch.

Mike Small making move at Constellation. Currently stands second.

Deleted member 645583

D
Go Guthrie!

Detry, after a 75, was well back at Scottish. Hang in there all you Illini!