2017-18 Illini Golf

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Dylan is now +20 and T14 with three hole to play. Dare I say he's in contention?

Nick rallied to finish +16 but is T42, so quite a group within a few strokes. A good score on Sunday could push him towards the top 10.

So that accounts for the constant change of uniforms, I guess. But why is it so expensive for instaters to go to U of I?

Because the university funds and the athletics funds are separate.

With the state continuing to decrease funding to the university, they've had to find other ways to generate revenue, such as admitting more out-of-state students and soliciting more money for the endowment fund.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Dylan finished at +10 for the day, +22 for the tourney, currently T16. Well done! He'll probably drop a bit since the leaders are still in the front nine, but he's in good position to make a run at the top 10.

Yes, I understand, but is Illinois now competitive in attracting out-of-state students? Great state, lousy state government. But great golf program.

Of course they are competitive. It is one of the best public universities in the world. They get students from all 50 states and about a quarter of their students are from other countries.

Some of their programs like engineering, accounting, computer science, and library sciences are among the very best in the nation.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Great start for Thomas Pieters, the lone Illini in the PGA Championship. He's currently T5 at -3, three strokes off of the lead. Great to see Thomas playing well again!

In the Web.com tour, Nick Hardy and Brian Campbell are T4 and T12, respectively, and close to the lead at the Ellie Mae classic. Guthrie has some work to do to make the cut.

Best of luck this weekend. The PGA Championship is in the St. Louis area, anybody going?

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Great start for Thomas Pieters, the lone Illini in the PGA Championship. He's currently T5 at -3, three strokes off of the lead. Great to see Thomas playing well again!

In the Web.com tour, Nick Hardy and Brian Campbell are T4 and T12, respectively, and close to the lead at the Ellie Mae classic. Guthrie has some work to do to make the cut.

Best of luck this weekend. The PGA Championship is in the St. Louis area, anybody going?

Saw someone with a sweet orange block I rain jacket in one of the practice rounds on the Golf Channel's Live From coverage.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Saw someone with a sweet orange block I rain jacket in one of the practice rounds on the Golf Channel's Live From coverage.

Not at all surprised, Illini Nation is always out there! Pieters is now T4 and definitely in great shape after a 66 today. Should be in one of the last few groupings tomorrow (hopefully some TV time?).

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Thomas steady so far, -1 thru 6 and -8 overall, tied for fourth w/ a group that includes Tiger, Rickie, JT, Schwartzel and Adam Scott (all major winners except Rickie). I'm enjoying the coverage so far, just hoping they show a little more Thomas (I think they only showed one shot, his birdie).

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Pretty impressive afternoon for Pieters, bogey-free thru 13 and definitely has a shot. If Koepka and JT could putt they'd separate from the pack, but instead we have 11 guys within 2 strokes. Hopefully Pieters can make a couple more big putts and give himself a chance!

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
And that's a big putt on 14! Currently 10 under, T2....make that T3 after JT birdied.

Tiger has got zero fairways today and is -2 on the day. Cannot and will not be counted out. I'm pulling for anybody else, personally, but he is amazing.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Another birdie for Pieters, now -11. Unfortunately for him, everyone else is getting birdies as well. Currently T3, two back.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Water on 17th. It's a par 5, so he could still save par, but definitely could've used another birdie to give himself a shot.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Missed the bogey putt, so falls back to -10 (now T5). I wonder if he was going for broke on that par 5...

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Pieters with a par on 18 to finish -10 for the tournament. Currently T5, though it looks like it'll come down to Koepka/Tiger/Scott unless someone else surges at the end. Hopefully he can build on this back in Europe (their season runs to Dubai in November).

Pieters with a par on 18 to finish -10 for the tournament. Currently T5, though it looks like it'll come down to Koepka/Tiger/Scott unless someone else surges at the end. Hopefully he can build on this back in Europe (their season runs to Dubai in November).
Yes to both points. TP can take a lot of good feelings home tonight. And it is almost a lock to be Koepka, Scott or Woods. 1 stroke separates Tiger from the two leaders. Great stuff