2017-18 Illini Golf

Deleted member 645583

D
Congratulations to Coach Small!

Wondering: Illini golf website announced 2018-19 schedule and referred to team as 11th-ranked in NCAA. That can't be right; must be based on last ranking, last spring, right? Who knows what Coach's team will do this upcoming season. Where should team be ranked this season and any thoughts on how it will do? That young talent might make all the difference.

Deleted member 645583

D
Thomas Detry is in contention in Sweden! TommyD! Let's hope that moniker doesn't catch on.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Thomas Detry is in contention in Sweden! TommyD! Let's hope that moniker doesn't catch on.

It's only a matter of time before Detry breaks through in Europe, hopefully this is the one!

D.A. Points shot a 64 at Wyndham, currently T3 (Snedeker leads the pack after shooting 59, with a 27 on the back nine). Dylan is -2 through 10.

Congratulations to Coach Small!

Wondering: Illini golf website announced 2018-19 schedule and referred to team as 11th-ranked in NCAA. That can't be right; must be based on last ranking, last spring, right? Who knows what Coach's team will do this upcoming season. Where should team be ranked this season and any thoughts on how it will do? That young talent might make all the difference.

I don't know what to expect this year. I was pretty optimistic until our guys hit the links this summer. We had four playing in the U.S. Amateur this week in Pebble Beach but none of them made it to stroke play. Feagle was our best and he placed in a tie for 147th.
It's only a matter of time before Detry breaks through in Europe, hopefully this is the one!

D.A. Points shot a 64 at Wyndham, currently T3 (Snedeker leads the pack after shooting 59, with a 27 on the back nine). Dylan is -2 through 10.

Points with another 64 today to move into second: https://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html

Deleted member 645583

D
I was looking at Illini fall schedule ; sad that they're not playing in NIU Intercollegiate 9/15, 16 at Rich Harvest. But there's a very good reason: The Fighting Illini Invitational is scheduled the same weekend at Olympia Fields.

Great field at NIU: Marquette, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Augusta, Missouri, Miami of Ohio, Toledo, Wisconsin, among others. But Illinois will have an even more stellar field at OF: usually one, if not both Oklahomas, Texas ...

I hope Illinois returns to NIU Intercollegiate in 2019. Why? Big 10 men's championship is scheduled at RHF in 2020; it'd be great to get the younger guys some experience at RH.

By the way, if you live in or near the region, NIU needs volunteers for the Intercollegiate. I'm on board again shuttling players between 9 green and 10 tee. If you're interested, contact Matt Rodriguez at NIU golf. Plenty of opportunities available and a chance to see RHF if you haven't already. Free box lunch!

P.S. Illinois is in a pretty elite academic field the end of September: MacDonald Cup at Yale. The field: Yale, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, among others at a CB MacDonald course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 645583

D
2018 Illini Invitational field: Okla State, Texas A&M, Alabama, California, Baylor, Stanford, UNLV, Southern California, South Carolina, Florida State, Indiana, Purdue, Air Force. Phew! This event should be televised!

Deleted member 645583

D
I love re-reading my posts! Yes, admission to NIU Intercollegiate is free, but no free hats or shirts. Free box lunch - the cardboard is usually very tasty. Should be free BOXED lunch! Always tasty. But I think most refer to this grub for the masses as box lunches.

But free coffee and donuts in the morning!! Well worth your time to volunteer.

Konnie

Western Suburbs
I have volunteered in past years and have volunteered to be a scorekeeper on the September 16th this year. It is a fun job and you can see some good college golf if you live near Sugar Grove. Besides Illinois golfers playing on September 15th, the football team is playing in Soldier Field that day.

Deleted member 645583

D
Thanks and good for you!

Interesting scheduling: Illini golf and football same weekend.

I'm in DeKalb, so I'll be there at Rich Harvest Farms. Hope to see you there, Konnie.

Soldier Field, Olympia Fields: too far to travel with all nutso traffic for older guy like me.

Deleted member 645583

D
I could take train from Elburn to Chicago and then transfer to Olympia Fields station, but what an ordeal. Phooey!

Good luck, D.A.! Win it! Go Dylan!

Deleted member 645583

D
One more thought about Illini Invitational: the field sounds like NCAA final round! It's a credit to Illini golf program that such powerhouses would accept the invitation. After all, Illinois is a golf powerhouse. And the chance to play Olympia Fields. As I've said before, this may be a a re-building year for Illini golf, but I really think Coach is re-loading.

This tournament should produce the real rankings for the new season. What a premier event. Man, I think there would be viewers if it were televised.

Deleted member 645583

D
D.A. just teed off. What an ugly shirt! (looks like something Duffy Waldorf would wear). But win nevertheless, D.A.!

Have a great day everybody! Pretty good golf weather here in DeKalb. Got to stop: this is turning into my own, personal forum.

Deleted member 645583

D
I lied: love that Pekin logo on D.A.'s shirt and hat. Bye.

Deleted member 645583

D
This Wyndham is what Lee Trevino would have called a "Screen-Door Open": big money, not much talent, not a great field.

Snedecker ! leading? C'mon.

Go D.A,!

Announcer said Sned has made $34 million in his career. Good for him! But something's wrong here. I wish I could have been as mediocre at my profession to make a tenth or less of that money.

Boy, do I like amateur golf.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
This Wyndham is what Lee Trevino would have called a "Screen-Door Open": big money, not much talent, not a great field.

Snedecker ! leading? C'mon.

Go D.A,!

Announcer said Sned has made $34 million in his career. Good for him! But something's wrong here. I wish I could have been as mediocre at my profession to make a tenth or less of that money.

Snedeker did win the Fedex Cup a few years back, so that's $10 million right there. Also has 8 victories, so though he's not elite, he's definitely had a better career than most on the Tour. (For perspective, Strick has 12 victories and D.A. has three). Plus anyone that shoots a 59 (as Snedeker did on Thursday) will probably be in the conversation on Sunday.

D.A. is looking good so far. Heard the announcers talk about his back; said he has two herniated discs, loses feeling to his index and middle finger about 15 times a day (for a few seconds). I'm just impressed he plays as much as he does. He also has a Tour card locked up through next season due to his win last year, so he said he's playing like he has nothing to lose this weekend, and is much more relaxed. Hopefully this is a turning point for him; unless he wins he won't be in the FedEx Cup playoffs, but has all next year to turn it around. Also hopefully his back doesn't get any worse.

I looked this up on Dylan Meyer - he has now made 6 of 8 cuts this year, including Valspar (which he played as an amateur). That is flat-out IMPRESSIVE, especially for a newcomer! There are plenty of PGA Tour regulars who haven't made 6 of 8 cuts. He still has work to do to get his card (Top 25 in the Web.com Finals will get him the card), but he has definitely shown he can compete with the big boys, and I can see him building up to a solid career on the Tour.

Guthrie is currently T11 in the Web.com Tour, and is now projected to finish 75th on the money list - top 75 make the Web.com finals. Web.com Finals means a chance at a PGA Tour card and full status on Web.com next year, while 76-100 get conditional status (not as easy to get into the tournaments). Hopefully he can get inside the top 10 and secure that spot. I remember last year when Langley needed a late push to get top 75, and now he's #3 and will be back on the PGA Tour next year.

Deleted member 645583

D
My point is: you've got too many PGA players making too much money for so few results: same as as in profeesional baseball, football, basketball, etc
I have a problem with mediocrity. But that's the way it is. I'm mediocre myself.

Deleted member 645583

D
Snedeker did win the Fedex Cup a few years back, so that's $10 million right there. Also has 8 victories, so though he's not elite, he's definitely had a better career than most on the Tour. (For perspective, Strick has 12 victories and D.A. has three). Plus anyone that shoots a 59 (as Snedeker did on Thursday) will probably be in the conversation on Sunday.

D.A. is looking good so far. Heard the announcers talk about his back; said he has two herniated discs, loses feeling to his index and middle finger about 15 times a day (for a few seconds). I'm just impressed he plays as much as he does. He also has a Tour card locked up through next season due to his win last year, so he said he's playing like he has nothing to lose this weekend, and is much more relaxed. Hopefully this is a turning point for him; unless he wins he won't be in the FedEx Cup playoffs, but has all next year to turn it around. Also hopefully his back doesn't get any worse.

I looked this up on Dylan Meyer - he has now made 6 of 8 cuts this year, including Valspar (which he played as an amateur). That is flat-out IMPRESSIVE, especially for a newcomer! There are plenty of PGA Tour regulars who haven't made 6 of 8 cuts. He still has work to do to get his card (Top 25 in the Web.com Finals will get him the card), but he has definitely shown he can compete with the big boys, and I can see him building up to a solid career on the Tour.

Guthrie is currently T11 in the Web.com Tour, and is now projected to finish 75th on the money list - top 75 make the Web.com finals. Web.com Finals means a chance at a PGA Tour card and full status on Web.com next year, while 76-100 get conditional status (not as easy to get into the tournaments). Hopefully he can get inside the top 10 and secure that spot. I remember last year when Langley needed a late push to get top 75, and now he's #3 and will be back on the PGA Tour next year.
Thanks for the info.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
D.A. holed out from 150yd on #2 for an eagle, then added a couple birdies to get to within one of the lead. Let's go D.A., strong finish!

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Looks like D.A will finish tied for 4th w/ Jim Furyk. Congrats to D.A., and hopefully this is a turning point for him, though with his back issues there could be a surgery in his near future.

Dylan shot a 66 to finish -10, another solid round. Hopefully he can keep it up in the Web.com finals and earn that Tour card. I don't think there is any doubt he is ready for the Tour!

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Wow...Brian Campbell missed the cut this weekend, and ended up falling to #75 on the money list, only $180 over #76. And, yes, the top 75 keep their Web.com cards for next year AND get to play the Web.com Finals, where 25 PGA Tour cards will be rewarded (76-100 don't get to play the finals, and get conditional status next year). So it's definitely a line in the sand, and Brian was fortunate to end up on the correct side.

Brian will join Scott Langley (already has a Tour card locked up) and Dylan Meyer this weekend in the first event. I think all 4 events are on TV as well. Unfortunately no Illini made the Fedex Cup playoffs this year. Pieters is playing this week in Europe, hopefully he can build on his PGA Championship performance!

Deleted member 645583

D
Go Illini!

And remember: volunteers are needed at Medinah for women's invitational in October: great field. Go to Illinois athletics, women's golf; contact Coach Slone. Volunteer coordinator is Jeanine Lundstrum. They need scorers, spotters, shuttle drivers to range, welcome/registration people and more. I'm on board as a range shuttler Sunday for practice and spotter on nine fairway Monday.

Another free boxed lunch!

Coach Small was in second place at the Illinois PGA championships this week after two rounds but had to withdraw after a couple of rain delays in order to return to CU for the start of practice. Would have been a nice payday if he could have finished one more round.