2017-18 Illini Tennis

The men get Florida tomorrow. Should be another tough one. They have four ranked players, three of which are highly ranked. They have beaten Michigan and lost to Ohio State from the B10.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Hey, photog, how'd you like that match today vs. Washington? These kids have some grit.

Absolutely loved it! The ladies have finally gotten over the "finish" the match hurdle. The past few years on occasion, they took ranked teams to the wire, only to be a couple points away from victory, but would lose, couldn't close. I had that feeling today when Jaq was up 5-3 in the second set and couldn't close. But she fought back, she showed a lot of grit. This team is a lot of fun to cover, some great kids, a really bright future for Women's Tennis at Illinois. Now we just need to get more fans to show up.

Absolutely loved it! The ladies have finally gotten over the "finish" the match hurdle. The past few years on occasion, they took ranked teams to the wire, only to be a couple points away from victory, but would lose, couldn't close. I had that feeling today when Jaq was up 5-3 in the second set and couldn't close. But she fought back, she showed a lot of grit. This team is a lot of fun to cover, some great kids, a really bright future for Women's Tennis at Illinois. Now we just need to get more fans to show up.

There was a better crowd vs. Iowa. Tough to get the students out on a Sunday morning. Keep winning and the following will start to grow. I heard there was a big recruit at the Wash. match. Girl from Cali. who has some history with Duong. Do you know who that was? Do they have any commits for next year yet?

New ITA Women's Rankings:

Illinois #5 :hailtotheorange:

ITA Women's Team Rankings

Fightingillini.com Write up

Women's Singles Rankings: Jaclyn Switkes #79

Not sure how you jump from #24 one week to #5 the next week. Granted, we won two matches but they were vs. unranked Iowa and 24th ranked Washington. The win vs. Washington was a third set tiebreaker after we were tied 3-3 through the first six points.

That said, this is a nice accolade. I'll start to believe if we beat Michigan, Ohio State and Northwestern.

Not sure how you jump from #24 one week to #5 the next week. Granted, we won two matches but they were vs. unranked Iowa and 24th ranked Washington. The win vs. Washington was a third set tiebreaker after we were tied 3-3 through the first six points.

That said, this is a nice accolade. I'll start to believe if we beat Michigan, Ohio State and Northwestern.

They switched from the poll rankings to the computer rankings. Computer rankings are based on their best wins, and this early in the season their wins against Florida State, Texas and Washington are pretty good.

I don't anticipate them keeping this ranking, but it still looks cool.

Keenan Mayo

An Illinois commit, Mayo is playing all over the place. How does he do that as a high school student? I understand that he is enrolled in some kind of online school but how does he make this work? This week he is playing in Lithuania. Last week it was Moldova. The previous week was Columbia and the week before that he was in Costa Rica.

An Illinois commit, Mayo is playing all over the place. How does he do that as a high school student? I understand that he is enrolled in some kind of online school but how does he make this work? This week he is playing in Lithuania. Last week it was Moldova. The previous week was Columbia and the week before that he was in Costa Rica.

Because he probably comes from a rich family, like most of the top tennis players in the United States.

There is an article today on tennisrecruiting.net about a new Ohio State commit. Here is a quotation from his dad, who is a high school English teacher:

“It’s a sport where you really need millions and millions of dollars. Unfortunately, I don’t make millions and millions of dollars,” Harry Kingsley said. “Most of the guys he competes with have played hundreds and hundreds of tournaments all over the world."

Gals win Blue Gray National

Beat Yale, #26 Auburn and #10 Wake Forest.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
The ladies as expected beat Indiana and Purdue this weekend.

Allegedly, it was his ankle. He did play three matches at a professional tournament in Canada a few days ago, though.

That's what I figured. He looked fine during those 3 matches. He and Evan King were locked in a pretty tight battle in the tournament in Canada, and I didn't see any problems with his movement. Maybe Dancer wanted to rest him because he didn't think there was much of a chance to win at Wake. If they played out all the matches I think the score line could easily have been 4-3.

Something I found interesting (and sad):

Michigan beat Northwestern today for the B1G women's title 4-3.

Michigan had three starters from Illinois - #2 (Glenview), #3 (Mundelein), and #6 (Hinsdale).

Northwestern actually only had one starter from Illinois (two on their entire roster).

The match came down to #2 singles between Chiara Lommer (UM) from Glenview, IL and Maddie Lipp (NU) from Lake Forest, IL.