2017-18 Illini Tennis

Though he qualified, Vukic will not play in the NCAA individual finals. Not sure why.

That explains why after they lost to Wake Forest, Dancer said that Vukic had played his last match for Illinois. I was wondering why he didn't mention the singles tournament.

He has a UTR (Universal Tennis Rating) of 14.

For comparison, Alex Brown, the frosh who ended the year playing #2 in Illinois' lineup and was a top-5 national recruit, had a UTR of 13 before entering college.

A continuation of our South African link. I wonder if we didn't get a heads up on this kid from Tiley or Anderson or Roelofse. He has a younger brother who is also highly ranked.

He has a UTR (Universal Tennis Rating) of 14.

For comparison, Alex Brown, the frosh who ended the year playing #2 in Illinois' lineup and was a top-5 national recruit, had a UTR of 13 before entering college.

Brown’s utr was 13.34 end of June 2017 but he had been as high as 13.88 in February 2017. Monsti’s utr is currently 13.62 with a high of 13.64 in past 12 months.

I don’t expect Monsti to be in top 3 next spring but definitely a solid addition.

Brown’s utr was 13.34 end of June 2017 but he had been as high as 13.88 in February 2017. Monsti’s utr is currently 13.62 with a high of 13.64 in past 12 months.

I don’t expect Monsti to be in top 3 next spring but definitely a solid addition.

Is Gui healthy?

I was going by the UTR listed on tennisrecruiting.net. They must round up or down to the nearest whole number.

I was going by the UTR listed on tennisrecruiting.net. They must round up or down to the nearest whole number.

UTR is always rounded unless you have a subscription.

FWIW, Kovacevic’s utr is skyrocketing and Zeke’s is second best on team. Kovacevic has had some excellent results since season ended.

Gui should be ready.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
For those that watch indoor matches at Atkins, the new ceiling tarps and lights have been installed. It looks a little brighter and the light looks more even. There were some dead spots before. I'm not sure what type of material the new ceiling is made of, it's similar to a drop ceiling in a way. The new indoor scoreboard is due later this summer.

UTR is always rounded unless you have a subscription.

FWIW, Kovacevic’s utr is skyrocketing and Zeke’s is second best on team. Kovacevic has had some excellent results since season ended.

Gui should be ready.

Are you close enough to the team to know who will play #1 next season? I assume Brown will move up but I really liked the way that Kavacevic came on last year. Then again, Gomes was behind only Vukic and Hiltzik two years ago before he got hurt. What about the new kid from South Africa, where does he fit in?

Are you close enough to the team to know who will play #1 next season? I assume Brown will move up but I really liked the way that Kavacevic came on last year. Then again, Gomes was behind only Vukic and Hiltzik two years ago before he got hurt. What about the new kid from South Africa, where does he fit in?

I’m not sure anyone knows yet. My connection is not a coach but someone who is around team everyday. As a disclaimer, I also know the Horve family. I will be at ITA U of I is hosting next weekend and will get some info on next year’s team.

Northwestern is hosting ITA this weekend. There are some B1G players in the draw in case anyone is in the area and wants to watch.

https://myutr.com/events/45

Last edited:
I’m not sure anyone knows yet. My connection is not a coach but someone who is around team everyday. As a disclaimer, I also know the Horve family. I will be at ITA U of I is hosting next weekend and will get some info on next year’s team.

Northwestern is hosting ITA this weekend. There are some B1G players in the draw in case anyone is in the area and wants to watch.

https://myutr.com/events/45

My guess (pure speculation) for next year's lineup would be:

1) AB
2) Kova
3) Gui (hopefully healthy and back in top form)
4) Zeke
With Caleb, Keenan, and Montsi fighting for 5 and 6 spots.

Doubles - could be way off with the exception of #1

1) AB & Caleb
2) Kova & Gui or Kova & Zeke
3) Probably Vuk and (Keenan, Montsi or whoever is not with Kova at 2)

It’s unfortunate that Shiki, Hirsch and/or Jiang didn’t stick for more than 1 year.

Hirsch as a senior would look pretty good at about #3 singles and #2 doubles right now.

It’s unfortunate that Shiki, Hirsch and/or Jiang didn’t stick for more than 1 year.

Hirsch as a senior would look pretty good at about #3 singles and #2 doubles right now.

Is Jiang officially gone?