2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

#1,651      
Well, it's starting to look more and more likely that we're going to end up being in a tough spot for this upcoming season in regards to bigs because we're running out of both options and time at this point. The playing time angle clearly hasn't been enticing enough thus far. Hopefully this staff can pull something out because we're going to have a rough go of it in the Big Ten without a true center and only two bigs.

Patience

#1,653      
Sedee Keita from SC? His reputation seems to be for hustle and blocking shots. He is still lost offensively. If he has enough offense to keep the opposing center honest, this may work.

#1,656      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
A coach of a team ranked 240 in rebound margin takes the rein of a team ranked 133 in rebound margin last season. The new team loses 4 players equal to or taller than 6'6 and took 4 incoming guards by the end of May. Now someone has to come in to defend all the B1G post beasts by his own and needs to "run up and down the floor", "can pass", "can shoot" to "fit BU's system". I can only wish the best of luck for that guy.

Yea, that doesn't answer my question about how our entire staff is defensively incompetent.

#1,657      
Good fits and scholarships​ being carefully​ used is key, we can't just take anyone. Faith in staff to analyze the players, not just get a guy to plug in. Lots of schools looking for same as us. We may not find any, now that would be a challenge.;)

I am not so sure about that if we are talking about a 5th year guy. I personally hate taking them if there is anyone remotely worth taking as a freshman, But right now we need 2 bodies 6-7 or taller, who can just play a little D and get up and down the court. They wont hurt us for 2018 so, even if they are Steve Roth ish but faster up and down the court, We could use them

#1,658      
Yea, that doesn't answer my question about how our entire staff is defensively incompetent.

I too am waiting to hear your answer on this. Because if LOU says the guy can coach D and coach it better then he did , I think I will believe LOU. The more I hear Lou talk about BU the more excited I get that we got him.

#1,661      
I too am waiting to hear your answer on this. Because if LOU says the guy can coach D and coach it better then he did , I think I will believe LOU. The more I hear Lou talk about BU the more excited I get that we got him.

I also want to say that I believe underwoods last year at SFA, they led the country in turnovers forced and/or turnover margin. I could be misremembering that, but I also thought when they played wvu in the tournament it was like the number 1 and 2 teams in the country in TOs forced.

#1,662      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles

I mean, the staff has more than just BU on it. There are three other assistants who coach, one with a pretty good track record of putting guys in the league.

#1,663      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I also want to say that I believe underwoods last year at SFA, they led the country in turnovers forced and/or turnover margin. I could be misremembering that, but I also thought when they played wvu in the tournament it was like the number 1 and 2 teams in the country in TOs forced.

Yep. And they only committed 6 turnovers in that game while forcing 22 WVU turnovers.

#1,664      
Just a couple of comments, some are worthy of "Captain Obvious" responses but please refrain.

The last or lost decade is because we didn't get our primary or secondary recruiting options and landed the tertiary (at best) option. I'm seeing this in our pursuit of a transfer big man.

We landed players with good rankings but with major flaws (shooting, dribbling, toughness, athleticism, BB IQ) hoping these tools would develop. I think BU will look at tools and fit than rankings. The recruitment of more all around players Smith and Alstork are good examples.

I'm being patient, I think Groce did a good job of pulling out transfers for the most part. So I think this new staff will continue to land good players including big men. Part of me also feels this is the year we just "eat" due to a new staff and late in the game recruiting.

#1,665      
Just a couple of comments, some are worthy of "Captain Obvious" responses but please refrain.

The last or lost decade is because we didn't get our primary or secondary recruiting options and landed the tertiary (at best) option. I'm seeing this in our pursuit of a transfer big man.

We landed players with good rankings but with major flaws (shooting, dribbling, toughness, athleticism, BB IQ) hoping these tools would develop. I think BU will look at tools and fit than rankings. The recruitment of more all around players Smith and Alstork are good examples.

I'm being patient, I think Groce did a good job of pulling out transfers for the most part. So I think this new staff will continue to land good players including big men. Part of me also feels this is the year we just "eat" due to a new staff and late in the game recruiting.

This is one way to look at it. However, some our recruits were highly regarded coming out of high school. I would hazard a guess that, rather than having major flaws, they were not developed to their full potential or put in a situation where they could excel. There are teams that always seem to do more with less. Coaching is the key. I was hoping that Groce could be one of those coaches that could get the most out of his players. He proved unable to do so. Underwood has already proven that he can. Let's hope he can repeat his success at Illinois.

#1,666      

The Pontiff

Chicago, IL
Well, it's starting to look more and more likely that we're going to end up being in a tough spot for this upcoming season in regards to bigs because we're running out of both options and time at this point. The playing time angle clearly hasn't been enticing enough thus far. Hopefully this staff can pull something out because we're going to have a rough go of it in the Big Ten without a true center and only two bigs.
Still plenty of time. It's not unusual for grad transfers to sign as late as August. For example, former Husker Andrew White signed with Syracuse last August 28, while a few years back, Khalid Lewis signed with Illinois in mid-August. Former UK player Marcus Lee signed his financial aid agreement with California in mid-June last season. And last Aug 11, Memphis signed former Baylor big man, Chad Rykhoek as a grad transfer. I'm sure there are plenty of others, so as Combes preached, just be patient.

#1,667      

IllFanInMi

I
A little panic ?

We missed on Agau, we hit on Alstork, given the competition for those two I'd say we won. I understand it's easy to feel that when we go after a recruit or transfer that those kids should see O & A brighter than any other colors, but who knows how many factors go through a kids head when deciding where they will eat, drink, and sleep for a while.

We clearly MUST add a big, or two, if for nothing else to prove a different look, change game flow, and eat fouls; Lord knows we must for Big play. If we don't we will be fast paced and exciting, but likely the undersized heavy weight that gets out punched by the 8th round.

I for one feel we can be in the field of 68 with a capable post, but without one I'm feeling the N.I.T., which would satisfy for year one.

I like the secrecy this regime operates under, but would love a little insight as to a few bigs that they think can make a difference!

#1,668      
By Sept this roster will have been flipped and ready to go. 1 maybe 2 new high post players will be added. They wont be like post players most are used to tho. Coach Underwood's offense uses a different angle from the post position. Don't worry about the defense aspect they will defend fine just be prepared for a lot of pressure and subbing of players ( fresh horses ).

#1,673      
Word online and in Chicago is that Illinois will end up with a big that committed to UIC. I don't even know his name, just that he was a UIC commit. Another name that is out there is Jericho Sims.

#1,674      
Word online and in Chicago is that Illinois will end up with a big that committed to UIC. I don't even know his name, just that he was a UIC commit. Another name that is out there is Jericho Sims.

Jericho Sims? Signed with Texas? How would he get out of his NLOI?

#1,675      

Deleted member 8213

D

Eboigbodin