2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Will we be the first opening? Who else might have already seen enough? Georgetown?

Not too sure who I like right now but some good candidates will pop up.

Think Gregg Marshall is plan A but I don't see him leaving Wichita State. Archie Miller should be plan B. Dan Hurley at Rhode Island is intriguing.

1. Cuonzo Martin
2. Archie Miller
3. Bryce Drew

These would be my top 3 (not in order), but each I'd give a maximum of 40% of coming here

1. Cuonzo Martin
2. Archie Miller
3. Bryce Drew

These would be my top 3 (not in order), but each I'd give a maximum of 40% of coming here

Bryce Drew just got a job at Vandy and at this point, I'm not too sure I would leave Vandy for Illinois.

Probably the most rational expectation based on what we've seen this year and throughout Groce's tenure is that we go either 3-9 or 4-8 over our next 12 games. If we're sitting at 7-11 a quarter of the way through the B1G season, does JW pull the plug before February?

My revised season projection is 8-5 non-con, 7-11 B1G after today's unmitigated disaster. This team makes me sad.

Is there a home run hire out there like Lovie seems to be? At least to give the buzz that Lovie gave?

Love Jacobson but it's going to take a mint to get him out of Cedar Falls. He loves it there and has been successful there. I think he'd only leave for a top job.

You don't go to Kansas from UNI. You go to Illinois then Kansas.

I disagree, I think if Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky became open right now, they'd have Ben Jacobson near the top of their list.

If any of those schools came open you would have every coach not named Tom izzo, pitino, boeheim not coaching at Kansas duke Carolina Kentucky willing to trade you their mother and wife for one of those jobs.

You'd also prolly have brad Stevens doing his due diligence.

I disagree, I think if Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky became open right now, they'd have Ben Jacobson near the top of their list.

Kansas coach came from Illinois. North Carolinas coach came from Kansas. Kentuckys coach came from Memphis. They aren't going to hire from UNI.

I have said it before. We need to open the checkbook and bring in Ettore Messina. If you have never heard of him, just google it.

I have said it before. We need to open the checkbook and bring in Ettore Messina. If you have never heard of him, just google it.

No thanks, would rather have someone that knows the college game and has recruited before

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
If we fire Groce mid season, the choice is easy to decommit and many schools will come in and potentially take our recruits away. Plus, if we fire mid-season, we won't have our replacement for several months which means we won't have someone to come in and "re-recruit" our recruits.

It's gotta be at the end of the season and if we don't turn this thing around. (I don't think we will, but stranger things have happened like Purdue starting 8-5 in the non-con and finishing 12-6 in conference)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair I don't know if these guys are legitimately available-- but some wishlist candidates--

Tim Cluess
Heath Schroyer

2ndGenIllini

Chambana
Whitman is going to be in a tough spot if the season continues down the path it's headed right now. If he fires Groce you likely lose the whole recruiting class. Can we afford to do that and go through a full rebuild that will see us not make the tournament for 3-4 more years?

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Whitman is going to be in a tough spot if the season continues down the path it's headed right now. If he fires Groce you likely lose the whole recruiting class. Can we afford to do that and go through a full rebuild that will see us not make the tournament for 3-4 more years?

Basketball rebuilds tend to take less time. If we hire the right guy, we could make the dance by Tejon's junior year.

Basketball rebuilds do not take that long. The right coach could have them in the tournament next year. Not that I would expect that at all. He'd have by year 3 to make the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.