2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Whitman is going to be in a tough spot if the season continues down the path it's headed right now. If he fires Groce you likely lose the whole recruiting class. Can we afford to do that and go through a full rebuild that will see us not make the tournament for 3-4 more years?

You don't necessarily lose the whole class. These guys signed LOIs so IF the search is quick you can bring the new guy in and have him try to sell the recruits on still coming to Illinois. No guarantee it works, but if you make a really impressive hire the guys might stay. If they don't want to play for the new coach thats when you let them out of the LOI.

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Basketball rebuilds do not take that long. The right coach could have them in the tournament next year. Not that I would expect that at all. He'd have by year 3 to make the tournament.

Look at what Ford is doing down at SLU. You get 2 good recruiting classes coming in and you can have things moving in the right direction pretty quickly.

rmlsr

El Paso,IL
Whitman is going to be in a tough spot if the season continues down the path it's headed right now. If he fires Groce you likely lose the whole recruiting class. Can we afford to do that and go through a full rebuild that will see us not make the tournament for 3-4 more years?

Whitman put himself in this tough spot by not firing Groce at the end of last season! Some of us seen this train wreck coming but Whitman bought what Groce was selling. Now he wasted a year and has to do what should've been done a long time ago!!!

MITPT'97

Orange and Blue Thru and Thru
If Whitman is able to make a 'Lovie-esque' hire, we retain most if not all of the recruits. I have faith in him based solely upon his decisions thus far. That is what keeps me sane while watching this awful product.

Best part is, we have the horses and even better coming in. Make the right hire and it is immediate improvement. Whitman will do what needs to be done in the best way possible.

I've been a giant supporter of Groce, believing that many of his struggles were deeply situational. I thought with this deep, veteran team, along with a very nice recruiting class that addresses several key positional needs, that he was finally turning the corner.

But after suffering through today's game at my in-laws over here in Indiana, I have absolutely seen enough.

UIUC1867

Christian County, IL
I disagree, I think if Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky became open right now, they'd have Ben Jacobson near the top of their list.

Ben Jacobson is near the top of their list.

Billy Donovan is at the top of their list.

Fred Hoiberg

Not going to happen. For perspective, Hoiberg is making 5 million for the Bulls (after making about half that at ISU). That number would make him the fourth highest paid coach in college basketball. Are we prepared to do that after giving Lovie the contract we just did?

Also why the hell would he want to come here?

blmillini

Bloomington, IL

I doubt they lose the entire class. Most guys are going to wait and see what happens before trying to get out of their LOI and we are not likely to hire an unknown.

Deleted member 4333

D
Not going to happen. For perspective, Hoiberg is making 5 million for the Bulls (after making about half that at ISU). That number would make him the fourth highest paid coach in college basketball. Are we prepared to do that after giving Lovie the contract we just did?

Also why the hell would he want to come here?

I love how people take things so seriously here. :)

radiodj

Houston
I doubt they lose the entire class. Most guys are going to wait and see what happens before trying to get out of their LOI and we are not likely to hire an unknown.

Damonte is a legacy recruit, so at the very least, I'd imagine he'd stay on no matter what.

Cuonzo Martin
Will Wade
Archie Miller

A good enough coach should be able to keep most of the recruiting class. I'm not sure if many would consider Martin a great hire but I think he would do great here.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
1. Gregg Marshall
2. Cuonzo
3. Archie Miller
4. Lon Kruger?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, but Archie miller intrigues the hell outta me.

JBtheTrill

Springfield, IL
I've seen Cuonzo mentioned here several times and I think he'd be a great hire, but does he have any ties to Illinois that would make him interested? I looked around online a little bit, but besides being from East St. Louis, I couldn't find any connections to Illinois.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, but Archie miller intrigues the hell outta me.

Archie is interesting. He has made it to the dance every year since the 2013-14 season. He would definitely be a good hire although his season this year started off a little rough. He is 2-2 and was just beat by Nebraska tonight.

The threshold issue is whether you have anything to look forward to in the future with Groce. If you take a rational, clear-eyed view of the situation and conclude that it's about to turn around, you sign him to an extension and don't think twice. If the same analysis concludes that there isn't success coming in the future, worrying about the recruiting class is a sunk cost.

You don't speed up a rebuild by holding onto a coach who can't win. That's not how it works.

And lets be real clear about the recruiting class. Pickett and DaMonte aren't going anywhere. Trent Frazier probably won't have a bevvy of other great options. Tilmon will be tricky, but he's obviously very close to Jamall Walker, who we could keep.

If we stink this year, it's not a tough spot at all. Groce isn't Whitman's hire, he's been objectively terrible, he has a very manageable buyout. Coaches get fired, it's a tough business. These are those situations.

Are there any NCAA bylaws that prevent AD's from speaking to potential hires when they have a HC under contract?

Additionally, can AD's speak to HCs or assistants of other colleges while they are under contract and during the season?

I've seen Cuonzo mentioned here several times and I think he'd be a great hire, but does he have any ties to Illinois that would make him interested? I looked around online a little bit, but besides being from East St. Louis, I couldn't find any connections to Illinois.

I just watched an interview with him last night and he said he didn't really enjoy it at Tennessee because Knoxville wasn't Missouri and if could live one place in the US it would be there. He did catch himself after a bit, but I found that to be a really weird thing for the coach of Cal to say. I think he really wants to be back in the Midwest.

While I believe this is a make or break year, Groce will absolutely get this full year to make it work. With Thorne and Abrams injuries, Black and Tate's legal troubles this is a roster that is not all that surprisingly disjointed right now. It was probably unrealistic to think they would hit the ground running with a roster that frankly hasn't played a lot together.

Black is coming back and there is enough talent and experience on this team for it to gel and become very good by the end of the year. There is no certainty that it will obviously, but Groce still has time and a roster to pull it off

Are there any NCAA bylaws that prevent AD's from speaking to potential hires when they have a HC under contract?

Additionally, can AD's speak to HCs or assistants of other colleges while they are under contract and during the season?

There are no rules against anything, but no meaningful negotiations are gonna take place in the middle of the season. It'll be to the middle of Big Ten season before there's any decisions of consequence being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.