2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,826      
I definitely remember that he didn't do well within the MAC(I think he was average as far as winning percentage goes) but there was promise as he was a youthful coach with a good personality, good charisma, says all the right things, makes you believe that he would bring energy to the program again. People easily forget though. But, I think most people had a favorable response to the hire given that the first 2 choices declined our invitation(Stevens and Shaka Smart). He was brought in b/c of his recruiting he did at Ohio St as much as his success at Ohio U. That was the thought process behind the hire.

You're dead right about the thought process. But it was a terrible thought process. That's exactly what you DON'T do.

#1,827      
No list would be complete without the name, Robert Smith. He would re-open the pipeline, lockdown Chicago, take care of any academic issues and deliver Kezo Brown.

#1,828      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
1. Jerrance
2. Robert Smith
3. Bill Self w Brad Stevens asst, Shaka DOBO
4. Obamas brother in law
5. Brandon Miller
6. Roger Powell w Dee and Deon
7. Weber
8. Pearl
9. Keatts
10. Travis or Dana or Dustin Ford
11. Chris Collins or Phil Jackson
12. Hoiberg
13. Lon Kruger
14. Cuonzo Martin

Last edited:
#1,829      
I agree about Cronin. He's a solid coach, and knows how to run a major program. I don't know how high his ceiling is, but that's true of most of the options and all of the "realistic" ones. I can't imagine a Cronin coached team looking as bad at fundamentals as the Illini. Some days they look terrible because they can't shoot, but they know how to defend and can break a press.
Cronin??? Mike Thomas hired him at Cincinnati!!! Nooooooooooo. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#1,830      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
No list would be complete without the name, Robert Smith. He would re-open the pipeline, lockdown Chicago, take care of any academic issues and deliver Kezo Brown.

Please not this again.

Rob Smith is a really good high school coach, but hiring him straight from high school to a B1G head job would be ludicrous. Sure we might get more Simeon players, but he's never managed a college program at any level. Not to mention that no one player at Simeon or even in all of Chicago at the moment is worth lining up a coach to get. You mention Kezo, who was once considered a top prospect, but really isn't anymore after a bad sophomore season and mediocre AAU circuit.

#1,831      

Were you around this board during the last search when people thought that was a reasonable person to hire :tsk:.

Speaking of the last search, I think that thread was the record for most posts/views for this board. I wonder if we can beat it this time around. We're off to a good start, or perhaps a bad start depending on your perspective.

#1,832      
1. Jerrance
2. Robert Smith
4. Obamas brother in law
5. Brandon Miller
7. Weber
8. Pearl
9. Keatts

Ah. Don't forget Chris Collins and the outrage that suggestion caused.

#1,833      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
1. Jerrance
2. Robert Smith
4. Obamas brother in law
5. Brandon Miller
7. Weber
8. Pearl
9. Keatts
12. Hoiberg
13. Lon Kruger
14. Cuonzo Martin

Lucille-Winking-animated-gif-arrested-development-31133148-245-245.gif

#1,834      
1. Jerrance
2. Robert Smith
4. Obamas brother in law
5. Brandon Miller
7. Weber
8. Pearl
9. Keatts
12. Hoiberg
13. Lon Kruger
14. Cuonzo Martin

You forgot Rush Street Reggie.

#1,835      

illynifan34

That's a winner!!
OH
"Illinois is a top 10 job,'' Self said. "The job I have is one of the best in the country. We had fun (at Illinois). It's unfortunate because the timing stunk that it kind of ended the way it did.''

Don't let anybody tell you Illinois isn't a great job. We will be back.

I want to believe. It's just so hard right now.

#1,836      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I heard Jon Gruden would take the job if offered.

#1,837      
So, Archie Miller's (very comely :D) wife is a fellow NC State alum. And Archie has more of a southern affect than you'd think given his Pennsylvania roots.

Root like hell for the Pack folks, if Mark Gottfried gets fired (and he should), Archie's taking that job over ours.

#1,842      
Another name to have in the ether: Steve Forbes at East Tennessee State.

ETSU Before Forbes (KenPom):

2013: 319
2014: 243
2015: 217

ETSU Under Forbes:

2016: 153
2017: 61

Plus he was a very successful JUCO head coach and has a background as an assistant and multiple other winning power conference programs.

Sounds great, right? What's the catch?

One of said successful assistant tenures was five years with Bruce Pearl at Tennessee.

I know, I'm out too. Just passing along the information.

#1,843      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
1. Jerrance
2. Robert Smith
4. Obamas brother in law
5. Brandon Miller
7. Weber
8. Pearl
9. Keatts
12. Hoiberg
13. Lon Kruger
14. Cuonzo Martin

A couple of those are actual legit options (Keatts, Martin) and thus don't belong on that list of "coaches whom people will clamor for but are either whoafully underqualified for the job or there's no way they're coming here". While you're at it, might as well add "the ghost of John Wooden" and Bob Knight to the list. :thumb:

#1,846      
I'm telling you guys, Musselman is the real thing.

Not quite sure what to think on King Rice, but that's another person to at least consider.

He's certainly worth a call. I think there are a number of good to great candidates out there and he'd be on the list. He has turned around Nevada pretty quickly.

And for those that prefer singular achievements, Nevada had a huge come back recently. Down ~ 25 with 11 minutes left and down ~ 11 with 1 minute left if I remember correctly. The team came back and won in overtime. On the road. I know it's not the Big Ten, but New Mexico is a tough venue. I turned the game off last night down 10 with about 36 minutes left.

#1,848      
I like him but I think the order goes like this...

1. Bennett
2. Martin
3. Keats

I think Musselman is in this group. Bennett is in a separate group that is completely beyond my imagination of what we can get. I'd put Musselman ahead of Keats I think. NBA experience could be a big boost for this program.

#1,849      
I'm not excited for Cuonzo Martin at all. I just don't think he can turn Illinois into a NC contender, which is obviously the goal (and attainable, given some years granted). In 5 minutes of research Keatts peaks my interest. Has a "Self at Oral Roberts" type vibe, just wish he was onto that Tulsa step instead of still at the Oral Roberts/UNC-W step.

But honestly, just throw money at someone and get this thing turned around quick. Going to games at a half full SFC is depressing, especially since i think they did a good job with the renovations. Throw $4MM at somebody on Bennetts level. Screw it, it's not my money (I'm not donating until my loans are paid off, quit calling me Alumni Association).

#1,850      
I like him but I think the order goes like this...

1. Bennett
2. Martin
3. Keats

So I think there's two lists forming, right? There's the "hey, maybe they'd be interested!" list, and then there's the "up-and-comers who we know we can probably get" list.

The first list is Cuonzo, Buzz Williams, Marshall, Archie, Hoiberg, Greg McDermott, Chris Mack and/or Mick Cronin, and you can get as pie-in-the-sky as you want from there, Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens, Tony Bennett at Virginia, Tony Bennett the singer, the ghost of Red Auerbach, Lord Van Gundy, whatever. It's not a ranking so much as a wish list.

It's the second list where you have to make the tougher calls. Here's where I'm at at the moment:

1. Kevin Keatts
2. Eric Musselman
3. Will Wade
4. Kermit Davis
5. Dan Muller
6. Keith Dambrot
7. King Rice
8. Matt McCall

I don't really know what to do with Ben Jacobson right now. That would be a tough, tough sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.