2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#5,876      

homesickalien

Springfield
The more I sit back and think about it I really get the sense that Whitman is going to try and get someone with some seasoned experience. Basically meaning I don't think he goes after an up and coming mid major type.

He knows this a big hire and needs someone that has proven themselves on this level. Who that is I don't know, but I have a feeling it's going to be a P5 coach.

#5,877      

homesickalien

Springfield
I did read somewhere that Brad Underwood might be someone to target due to the money he is making. I'm curious if he'd be willing to listen if Whitman came with a big offer?

#5,878      
I did read somewhere that Brad Underwood might be someone to target due to the money he is making. I'm curious if he'd be willing to listen if Whitman came with a big offer?

How is t Boone not paying him well? I'd love to have him. If he's available he's the overall #1 on my list with respect to all the other names previously mentioned.

#5,880      
I have to believe that JW is getting advice and evaluation from someone that he feels can give him expert evaluation of the current staff and what is going on

#5,882      
I agree that he seems like a genuinely nice guy. However, he's proven over and over that he is not a good coach with X's and O's. We need a different direction :shield:

But are his x's and o's bad or does he not have the right players to execute it properly? I personally see a completely different set of players coming in next year than what has been recruited so far. And add Lucas and Kipper to that list of different players.

#5,883      
John Groce and his staff are all but gone. The players know it, the fans know it, the staff knows it. He is basically coaching on pride at this point. Although he genuinely cares about the players, he might be to the point of thinking about his next job. The more wins he can accumulate at the end of the season, the better his potential job prospects may be. I think 90% of the fan base has supported Groce and loved the hire, especially after the first season. Now we may be at the exact opposite of opinion, with 90% wanting him gone and with good reason.

:chief:

I have to believe he is recruiting for his next job as well. Connections and understanding the recruiting landscape will be a selling point for his next job.

#5,884      
Some folks have stated our scholarship situation is bad for the next couple of years. I beg to differ in the sense that who ever comes is inheriting a solid junior/sophomore class (Black, Finke, JCL, DJW, TJL, Kipper, AJ) and current committed recruits. That is a group to build around and two scholarships are availiable. If any players leave it would give the new coach more schollys to build a team around their schemes. But the cupboard is not empty, main goal should be keeping most of the players and recruits.

Biggest need IMHO is to get a shot blocking athletic big. Crean has done well getting multiple athletic bigs the last several years. Except he lost 1-2 to injuries this year.

#5,885      
If he is willing, I'd be all for it.

The ethical questions with him worry me but my understanding is that if he were to jump, now would be the time with the athletic department mess there and his Midwest connections.

#5,886      
Brad Underwood
Buzz Williams

What is the evidence supporting Underwood? It looks like he took over an S.F. Austin team that was already at the top of the conference and kept it there for three years.

Moving after three years leaves a lot of unknowns:
* Underwood was still playing with the prior coaches recruits.
* The winning team culture was established when he got there and usually carries forward on its own for a few years. (Look at the Illini team culture Webber inherited vs. what developed later.)

#5,887      

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
But are his x's and o's bad or does he not have the right players to execute it properly? I personally see a completely different set of players coming in next year than what has been recruited so far. And add Lucas and Kipper to that list of different players.

I have the same thought. Unfortunately, and I sicerely mean that, I think it's going to be too late for Coach Groce. We are one of the most unathletic Illini teams I have seen. Our best player probably won't get a sniff of the NBA because of his lack of athleticism. I don't think anyone would call Mav or Tracy or Finke athletic. Just like Weber, he has been great at recruiting 2-3's, but no luck in the main 1 and 5 positions until now. If you're weak at those positions...

If all recruits committed stay committed, whom ever the coach is will have a much more athletic team than we have seen in the last few years. We may not be better, due to experience, but I'll bet we are more fun to watch.

Groce may never be a great coach, but I would love to see an alternative reality season with him and the type of player he wants.

#5,888      

homesickalien

Springfield
What is the evidence supporting Underwood? It looks like he took over an S.F. Austin team that was already at the top of the conference and kept it there for three years.

Moving after three years leaves a lot of unknowns:
* Underwood was still playing with the prior coaches recruits.
* The winning team culture was established when he got there and usually carries forward on its own for a few years. (Look at the Illini team culture Webber inherited vs. what developed later.)

Yeah he took over a good SFA squad, but he took them to even higher heights. He lost 1 conference game in 3 years (that's unheard of and I don't care what conference you're in), made it to 3 straight NCAA tourneys and looked really good, has taken an OK ST team to the brink of the tourney this year, and if you look SFA has fallen quite a bit since he left.

Add in all his experience as an assistant over the years and he's a guy I think would be a great fit.

#5,889      
:confused:

The talk, Groce gave to Malcolm last week, should have been given after the very first loss. Groce just could not afford *any* loss if he could help it.

No idea why he waited so long to right the ship.

#5,890      
I'll be honest, I'm starting to worry that Whitman may hold off for another year. Absolutely no leaks about anything either signals that he's very very good at working behind the scenes or he hasn't used any back channels to make contact. I hope I'm dead wrong, but Groce has two more years after this year so he wouldn't really need to be extedned until after next year, especially with the class coming in already. Guy on post game call in show said (and I know he could be totally lying) he spoke to someone in Peoria who had allegedly spoken to Damonte who said Groce would be his coach his Freshman year. I know I know....could be totally made up and probably is (you can listen to the postgame show on illinihq.com). Then the other day, I saw all the recruits talking back an forth on twitter, very vague but almost as if they knew something.... I gotta bad feeling like we may be stuck with him another year....

#5,891      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Three more wins--not impossible--and he's back.

If he gets three more all it will mean for me is that maybe Malcolm gets to go out on a little bit of a more positive note. This season is done. All that is left is "what kind of taste will be left in the mouth?" Limping out with a whimper, or paying stronger at the end?

#5,892      

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
I'll be honest, I'm starting to worry that Whitman may hold off for another year. Absolutely no leaks about anything either signals that he's very very good at working behind the scenes or he hasn't used any back channels to make contact. I hope I'm dead wrong, but Groce has two more years after this year so he wouldn't really need to be extedned until after next year, especially with the class coming in already. Guy on post game call in show said (and I know he could be totally lying) he spoke to someone in Peoria who had allegedly spoken to Damonte who said Groce would be his coach his Freshman year. I know I know....could be totally made up and probably is (you can listen to the postgame show on illinihq.com). Then the other day, I saw all the recruits talking back an forth on twitter, very vague but almost as if they knew something.... I gotta bad feeling like we may be stuck with him another year....

P5 head coaches don't operate with 2 years or less left on their contracts. If not fired they would have to add an extension of some sorts. Whitmans inner circle is so tight I really don't think anything will be leaked. If something does leak I think the earliest would be the weekend of the B1G tournament. Most likely the weekend of the first weekend of the NCAAs to the 2nd weekend.

#5,893      

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
This guy will not be the next Illinois coach.
images

#5,894      

Less than 3 years on a contract for a HC REQUIRES an extension. So no, this is a fire or extend year.

#5,897      

JW moves quickly. He is unlike any A.D. we have had in 20+ years. The Lovie hire proved it. Some are skeptical on him doing it again but it will happen again. He is a former big time athlete. He deeply cares about the U of I. Thank goodness Rick George didnt get the job!

Status
Not open for further replies.