2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#7,751      

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
It seems I'm in a minority in not letting Groce coach in the NIT. It's a consolation tournament with little meaning, and it's not much better than the NC State situation, IMO.

#7,752      
Well here we go, this thread gets fun starting now! Lot's of quality names have been tossed about, should be interesting to see which coaches rise to the top of JW's wish list.

I have said it once, but I will re-iterate: All out push for Archie Miller!

If that is a pipedream, then I am all in on team Krystkowiak. Who is with me?

(Disclaimer: I am also a sideline supporter of teams Monty and Keatts. Down with team Cuonzo!)

I'd be surprised if Coach K (Larry not Mike -- though Mike neither) would be interested in Illinois. I just see him west kind of guy and all I've read it sounds like he is enjoying his family staying in one place for awhile. Not saying he wouldn't leave Utah, but not sure if the would for Illinois. Good coach though and would be a good hire I think. Just don't see it happening.

#7,754      

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
I'd be surprised if Coach K (Larry not Mike -- though Mike neither) would be interested in Illinois. I just see him west kind of guy and all I've read it sounds like he is enjoying his family staying in one place for awhile. Not saying he wouldn't leave Utah, but not sure if the would for Illinois. Good coach though and would be a good hire I think. Just don't see it happening.
Yeah, I don't disagree with anything stated. That said, he is underpaid, coaching at a football school in a poor recruiting area. I just hope Whitman gives him a call and can talk him into a conversation about the job. From there, if Krystkowiak still isn't interested, then it was likely never going to happen.

We can pay more than Utah. We do have a richer tradition and fervent fanbase. Illinois is a rich recruiting area. Krystkowiak did spend time with Milwaukee. There are reasons to think he will listen. We don't offer beautiful views of mountains, but living out west myself, his proximity to Montana (his home state) is a flight away, not a drive away, regardless.

Until I hear from him no desire to leave Utah, I am remaining on team Krystkowiak! His performance with Utah is amazing! He has won at a power 5 conference without elite recruiting, he has ties to the NBA, he is still relatively young, but experienced enough that he just might make one more move before settling down to (hopefully) create a legacy somewhere. Maybe Utah already is that place, maybe it is another P5 school out west. I am hoping it is at Illinois.

#7,755      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Yeah, I don't disagree with anything stated. That said, he is underpaid, coaching at a football school in a poor recruiting area. I just hope Whitman gives him a call and can talk him into a conversation about the job. From there, if Krystkowiak still isn't interested, then it was likely never going to happen.

We can pay more than Utah. We do have a richer tradition and fervent fanbase. Illinois is a rich recruiting area. Krystkowiak did spend time with Milwaukee. There are reasons to think he will listen. We don't offer beautiful views of mountains, but living out west myself, his proximity to Montana (his home state) is a flight away, not a drive away, regardless.

Until I hear from him no desire to leave Utah, I am remaining on team Krystkowiak! His performance with Utah is amazing! He has won at a power 5 conference without elite recruiting, he has ties to the NBA, he is still relatively young, but experienced enough that he just might make one more move before settling down to (hopefully) create a legacy somewhere. Maybe Utah already is that place, maybe it is another P5 school out west. I am hoping it is at Illinois.

Well said.

The key in this search is to quickly guage interest, without leaks.

#7,756      

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
It seems I'm in a minority in not letting Groce coach in the NIT. It's a consolation tournament with little meaning, and it's not much better than the NC State situation, IMO.

I'm with you. NIT is for the players. Let one of the assistants handle the coaching duties. The results can't be much worse.

#7,757      
Does anyone else have a doubt that Groce gets fired? I just don't think it will happen.

#7,758      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Does anyone else have a doubt that Groce gets fired? I just don't think it will happen.

I've thought all along it was tourney or bust. So, now....no, I don't have any doubt.

#7,759      

I think he'll be let go Monday afternoon. I feel almost 100% positive he won't be back next year. I think if he'd won against RU and UM he'd almost certainly be back. I think this was a situation where Groce was legitimately coaching for his job. I think he'll be let go in a very professional way with no hard feelings on either side. Looking forward to finding out who the new coach is.

#7,761      

As I've said many times, it would not surprise me if the decision goes either way. I do not think it is a done deal as others believe. If I had to say right now, with an NIT bid, I'd think Groce survives.

#7,762      
I think Whitman is smarter than "Tourney or Bust." Tourney or Bust places too much weight on what might be a team's narrow difference between in or out (one or two games) . Whitman is looking at a body of five-years work, especially this past year, and on all facets of the game--recruiting, program management, game planning, etc. I don't see how he can look at the five-year body of work and conclude that Groce remains HC.

#7,764      
As I've said many times, it would not surprise me if the decision goes either way. I do not think it is a done deal as others believe. If I had to say right now, with an NIT bid, I'd think Groce survives.

There is simply NO way he makes it past this season regardless of NIT or anything else. JW bought himself a year after the major football decision and in the process gave his buddy another vote of confidence and chance. It is over however now.

If JW were to not make this move regardless of recruits, there would be major fallout with alums imo, yes I know many would be okay with Groce, find it hard to believe many more would not be okay with continuing down this road to insanity...

#7,765      

socalini

So Cali

You may be in the minority but you're not alone. Cutting ties now would allow JW to post the job immediately. He can start negotiations with the agents of his targets, as opposed to the hypothetical discussions that must have happened while Groce was still getting the chance to redeem himself.

Make Walker interim, as a semi-audition, in case we hire a coach who's willing to keep him on staff for the sake of keeping the class together.

Groce has to know he's gone. Let him skip the last few emotional post game pressers.

And most importantly, I/we won't have to watch one more second of this mind boggling brand of basketball.

Attachments

• Jump aboard the Keats train!.jpg
    Jump aboard the Keats train!.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 373
#7,766      

I thought he was going to survive after the MSU win but I thought we would handle Rutgers. Today was the rubber game. He lost. I think he gets the door.

#7,767      
I have nothing to offer to this conversation that hasn't been said on either side of the decision. This is going to be a very interesting 24-96 hours.

#7,768      

chrisRunner7

Spokane, WA

I am 99% sure Groce is gone. The one scenario I'm worried about:

Whitman makes the decision to fire Groce, but doesn't want to announce anything until after we're officially omitted from the NCAA tournament. The NIT starts up really quick next week and Whitman decides to wait to make an announcement post-NIT.

We go on a decent run ("fake run," as some would say) in the NIT. In the meantime, Keatts is hired at NC State. We strike out on all our home run targets and Monty Williams says he has no interest. Whitman looks at the NIT run (with a 20-point blowout loss in the final, of course), and decides to retain Groce.

But I don't think an NIT run is in the cards. First round loss to ISU would be more likely.

#7,769      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I sort of feel this way too. It scares me that we might be in for another season with John Groce. Whitman will likely lose about 75% of the fan base if he decides to keep Groce. I wonder how many people would still think he is so great if he does that.

Honestly, I think Whitman would take a ton of heat. But, if Groce goes 23-8 in the reg season, gets a 6 seed in the Touney and wins a couple games, while succeeding on the recruiting trail, all would be forgiven and JW would be named a prophet for seeing what none of us could see.

I don't think any of this is likely.

#7,770      
You may be in the minority but you're not alone. Cutting ties now would allow JW to post the job immediately. He can start negotiations with the agents of his targets, as opposed to the hypothetical discussions that must have happened while Groce was still getting the chance to redeem himself.

Make Walker interim, as a semi-audition, in case we hire a coach who's willing to keep him on staff for the sake of keeping the class together.

Groce has to know he's gone. Let him skip the last few emotional post game pressers.

And most importantly, I/we won't have to watch one more second of this mind boggling brand of basketball.

Even if Groce coaches in the NIT, it will likely come with an announcement that he's been terminated, effective at the end of the season. The search will begin immediately. JMO, but I doubt Whitman leaves this mess open to public scrutiny and speculation. Groce will either be fired early next week (95-plus percent chance) or extended by the end of next week (very little chance).

Whitman is a man of action and is smart and calculating. He's also a good person and boss, which means he likely won't fire Groce until he has a chance to meet with him both tonight/early tomorrow and again Monday morning. Then he'll give Groce a chance to meet with the team before a statement is issued. Monday afternoon, maybe Tuesday morning at the latest, we'll hear that Groce has been let go. Will he be allowed to coach the NIT? Maybe. But I think there's literally a 0% chance that Groce is left flapping in the wind for 2-3 more weeks before getting canned amid rumors and gossip. No chance. PR nightmare.

I can't help but feel like a lot of people on these message boards have really limited experience with how big business operates. This is a relatively predictable situation when you think about the PR/brand protection dynamics.

#7,771      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I have nothing to offer to this conversation that hasn't been said on either side of the decision. This is going to be a very interesting 24-96 hours.

I imagine things will be quiet until Monday. JW won't fire Groce until we're 100% out of the tournament (even though we clearly are). Even then, I suspect JW will let Groce coach in the NIT unless he already has a coach lined up.

#7,772      
Whitman will likely lose about 75% of the fan base if he decides to keep Groce.

Nah, this will not happen, and I think I've been an Illini fan longer than most to know that these exaggerations do not happen.

#7,773      
If anything, I commend the guys for their fight the last 8 games. They could've folded the tents and given up on the season and gone into a death spiral like the 2012 team, but they didn't and that says something.
Agreed, though after the first or second game of the streak, I remember hearing one of the players say "We are playing for Coach". Why did it take them that long to get into that attitude? Also, where was this fire in January?

#7,774      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Agreed, though after the first or second game of the streak, I remember hearing one of the players say "We are playing for Coach". Why did it take them that long to get into that attitude? Also, where was this fire in January?

Or, the past week?

Last edited:
#7,775      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It's time to back the truck of money up to someone's door. You want to play with the top tier year after year? You gotta show them the money. You have to make them an offer they can't refuse.

I don't think this will ever happen at Illinois. I hope JW proves me wrong, but our programs will never consistently compete with the programs that sell out money wise.
Short of that, we will have a great year once in a while and then the last 10 years of this.

It's all about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.