2017 St. Louis Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Last year, Lance Lynn. This year, Alex Reyes. Incredible. :sick:

It's an every year occurance... what the heck is in the water in Florida?

It's bad, but he and Luke Weaver's projections for 2017 were about the same. Obviously, Reyes has more upside if he could have put it all together this year (ie; lowered his walk rate).

Still, to have a projected starter go down and still have a rotation of:
1) Martinez
2) Wainwright
3) Lynn
4) Leake
5) Weaver/Wacha/Gomber and others comparable in the minors

Points to good depth. Cubs have a starter or 2 go down and they're dipping well below the cardinals comparable depth. Unfortunately, the only way i see the Cardinals catching the Cubs is if that very thing happens; only think slowing them down is pitching depth.

The good news is that Wacha apparently has no issues with his shoulder, so hopefully he can return to form and the loss of Reyes won't hurt so bad. If he is healthy, and Wainwright and Leake rebound from their issues we could have some seriously good starting pitching again. Obviously, that's a lot of "ifs"

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Last year, Lance Lynn. This year, Alex Reyes. Incredible. :sick:

It's an every year occurance... what the heck is in the water in Florida?

Lynn was pitching with his during the playoffs in 2015 and had surgery in November.

I still have no idea what Mo was thinking that off-season though. Yeah we missed out on David Price, but instead of matching or besting the Cubs offer to Lackey (2 years/$32 million), he gives Mike Leake a 5 year deal with a full no trade clause. Still befuddles me.

Lynn was pitching with his during the playoffs in 2015 and had surgery in November.

I still have no idea what Mo was thinking that off-season though. Yeah we missed out on David Price, but instead of matching or besting the Cubs offer to Lackey (2 years/$32 million), he gives Mike Leake a 5 year deal with a full no trade clause. Still befuddles me.

It's pretty simple, Leake is 9 years younger. Pretty easy decision IMO.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this our history of losing pitchers for the season

2017: Reyes
2016: Lynn
2015: Waino
2014: Carpenter
2013: Carpenter
2012: Waino

I feel like I'm missing somebody. Wacha and Garcia have been banged up A LOT but I can't remember them being out for a whole season.

The good news is that Wacha apparently has no issues with his shoulder, so hopefully he can return to form and the loss of Reyes won't hurt so bad. If he is healthy, and Wainwright and Leake rebound from their issues we could have some seriously good starting pitching again. Obviously, that's a lot of "ifs"

Getting the defense straight will help a ton too.

I fully expect Wacha to get the 5th starting spot. They said they will try to convert Rosenthal to a starter but I think they have been saying that for the past 4 years.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this our history of losing pitchers for the season

I feel like I'm missing somebody. Wacha and Garcia have been banged up A LOT but I can't remember them being out for a whole season.

Motte got injured in 12 or 13 during spring training too.

Wainwright's TJ was 2011. He wasn't on the world series team because of it. He pitched in 2012.

Kyle Lohse had some issues in there somewhere prior to that, and we lost Carp in 2007 too

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
It's pretty simple, Leake is 9 years younger. Pretty easy decision IMO.

I suppose if Mo was dead set on giving out a 5 year deal then yes. However Lackey signed a 2 year deal. And in year 1 of that deal he outperformed Leake by a great amount and I'd bet he is better this year as well.

I suppose if Mo was dead set on giving out a 5 year deal then yes. However Lackey signed a 2 year deal. And in year 1 of that deal he outperformed Leake by a great amount and I'd bet he is better this year as well.

Lackey posted a career year in 2015 and was a pretty good bet to come back to earth. Leake was only 28 and had consistently been a 2-ish WAR pitcher over the course of his career. Leake makes an average of a million less per year on his contract and if both pitchers performed to their career norms, there wouldn't be much difference between their performances.

The Lackey side of the bet was right. He wasn't anywhere near as good in 2016 as in 2015. He basically had a career average year. Still pretty good for a 3 or 4 starter, but not as great as 2015. The problem was that Leake had his worst year since at least 2012.

The likelihood is that this year Lackey basically repeats his 2016 with maybe 10 or so fewer innings due to age, while Leake rebounds and posts a career average season. If that happens, the pitchers will be of basically equivalent value. And then for the next three years, the Cardinals have an above average starting pitcher on a reasonable contract while the Cubs need to fill a hole in their rotation.

Leake is a perfectly reasonable back end of the rotation starter earning a market rate contract. I'd take him over Lackey any day of the week especially this season; Lackey's coming back down to earth hard this year if I could bet. Especially with a weaker Cub outfield defense behind him.

In fact, all the Cub starter's should regress with Schwarber in LF, Heyward in CF, and Zobrist (I think, at least most innings, not sure) in RF. That's a below average to poor outfield

Time to get this thread fired up again!

Yadi got his extension...3 more years for the best catcher in history.

Rosenthal will start the year on the DL. Looks more like a precautionary thing and he should be good to go after the 10-day DL.

And after looking that up...I completely forgot MLB switched from a 15 day DL to 10 days. That's kind of a big deal. I imagine more teams will give players a 10 day rest if they're feeling off, especially pitchers.

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
Leake is a perfectly reasonable back end of the rotation starter earning a market rate contract. I'd take him over Lackey any day of the week especially this season; Lackey's coming back down to earth hard this year if I could bet. Especially with a weaker Cub outfield defense behind him.

In fact, all the Cub starter's should regress with Schwarber in LF, Heyward in CF, and Zobrist (I think, at least most innings, not sure) in RF. That's a below average to poor outfield

He's above average with a good defense.

Yadi extension officially announced today. 3 years, $60 million. The hope is that young catcher Carson Kelly will be up and ready to take the reigns of the catcher's spot once Yadi's deal ends, which will be in Molina's age 37 season.

Yadi extension officially announced today. 3 years, $60 million. The hope is that young catcher Carson Kelly will be up and ready to take the reigns of the catcher's spot once Yadi's deal ends, which will be in Molina's age 37 season.

Carson Kelly is in an odd spot. Some people are saying he is ready for the big league now. But do you bring him up where he is only playing once a week (or less)? I think they made the right decision this year but if his stats get even better in the minors this year then he needs to play up next year. He will also be targeted by a lot of teams if the Cardinals decide to be buyers at the trade deadline.

In an ideal world, Yadi has a good year and Carson has a good year at AAA. Then next year they platoon at catcher, something like 60-70% Yadi and the rest Carson.

Also would like to see Carson called up as the starting catcher if Yadi misses any extended time for injuries this year.

Peralta is struggling against Lester. Has swung at a lot of pitches way out of the zone tonight.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
I really don't like that we showed so little faith in our set up guys that we go 2 innings opening night with our closer.

I think I've said this for the past 3 years now, but we need one of Grichuk or Piscotty to step up and be a star. I really don't like Peralta batting clean up. The sooner someone takes over that spot the better. Our top 3 will be on base all the time.

I think I've said this for the past 3 years now, but we need one of Grichuk or Piscotty to step up and be a star. I really don't like Peralta batting clean up. The sooner someone takes over that spot the better. Our top 3 will be on base all the time.

While this is only Piscotty's second full year in the majors, and Grichuk's third, it would help a TON if at least one of them could really step up this year. Your point about the clean up spot is 100% accurate. That's our biggest hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.