2017 St. Louis Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you be willing to give up for one year of Manny Machado?

It's analogous to the Heyward trade (at the time, not Heyward now), but they also got Jordan Walden as part of that, which was a non-zero value at the time.

So Shelby & Tyrell Jenkins kinda equals Jack Flaherty and maybe Harrison Bader (just because Baltimore needs OFs). I think Flaherty & Bader or Sierra gets you close to 1 year of Machado.

Watched Stanton intro to Yankees on MLB network. He gave list of teams to Marlins prior to the “deals” with Giants and Cards. We were never really in it.

His list was basically WS teams and those who are close.

Our average roster is really why we missed the playoffs and Stanton.

Lots of people blame the players and Matheny but ownership and front office play into our problems. Time to step up and they are trying to do just that.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
It's analogous to the Heyward trade (at the time, not Heyward now), but they also got Jordan Walden as part of that, which was a non-zero value at the time.

So Shelby & Tyrell Jenkins kinda equals Jack Flaherty and maybe Harrison Bader (just because Baltimore needs OFs). I think Flaherty & Bader or Sierra gets you close to 1 year of Machado.

I saw that the O's were looking for 2 cost controlled pitchers. Obviously, it depends which ones, but that is dealing from strength. I like your suggestion, just because we have so many young OF.

orangeroses07

Centralia, IL
Cards get Ozuna. Still waiting on the return package to Miami.

Don't stop here. Go get another bat and a solid bullpen arm and get back into contention.

Deleted member 3875

D
A good move....a closer & another bat now. Pretty please.

Deleted member 3875

D
Watched Stanton intro to Yankees on MLB network. He gave list of teams to Marlins prior to the “deals” with Giants and Cards. We were never really in it.

His list was basically WS teams and those who are close.

Our average roster is really why we missed the playoffs and Stanton.

Lots of people blame the players and Matheny but ownership and front office play into our problems. Time to step up and they are trying to do just that.

Mediocre, overrated aquisitions by Moz and Dewitt's stinginess resulted in the last few years of underperformance. Good to see they maybe saw the light and are doing something this year.

Mediocre, overrated aquisitions by Moz and Dewitt's stinginess resulted in the last few years of underperformance. Good to see they maybe saw the light and are doing something this year.

Yes. I got tired of the "we like our roster" and the "tweaks". I do think they were waiting for the new TV contract as well.

Congrats to the front office and welcome Marcel!

Heyman saying Piscotty to A's for two prospects is done. Best of luck to a smart and classy guy. He will get it turned around. Past season was tough as baseball wasn't foremost on his mind. ALS sucks!

They offered $190MM to Heyward, $200MM to David Price, and were willing to pay close to $270MM on Stanton... just because they got out bid/ denied doesn't mean they were being stingy. I'd call it disciplined.

In Mozeliaks 10 season tenure, they haven't won under 83 games in a season and are only 3 games behind the Dodgers with 897 wins. To build this kind of consistently great team, with another big move or 2 on the horizon this offseason to put them right back over the Cubs in the NL central (who had to tank to get their team), I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

They offered $190MM to Heyward, $200MM to David Price, and were willing to pay close to $270MM on Stanton... just because they got out bid/ denied doesn't mean they were being stingy. I'd call it disciplined.

In Mozeliaks 10 season tenure, they haven't won under 83 games in a season and are only 3 games behind the Dodgers with 897 wins. To build this kind of consistently great team, with another big move or 2 on the horizon this offseason to put them right back over the Cubs in the NL central (who had to tank to get their team), I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

THANK YOU!!

the national

the Front Range

I generally agree, but.... last year was kinda tough to swallow. It was the first year where I truly believe that the Cards fell from Elite status. For Mo to keep his reputation, he's gonna need to keep up in the Hot Stove talks and get a few more hauls this off season.

To counter Matheny's deficiencies, Mo will need to bolster the bullpen in the worst way. Our pen was a mess. Plus I think Dexter moving to right but really help improve the defense having he and Pham in the lineup everyday. Still not sure about 1st/3rd base with Carpenter. I liked him at 3rd, but then we'd have a void at 1st. Mo has alot of work still left to do.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I generally agree, but.... last year was kinda tough to swallow. It was the first year where I truly believe that the Cards fell from Elite status. For Mo to keep his reputation, he's gonna need to keep up in the Hot Stove talks and get a few more hauls this off season.

To counter Matheny's deficiencies, Mo will need to bolster the bullpen in the worst way. Our pen was a mess. Plus I think Dexter moving to right but really help improve the defense having he and Pham in the lineup everyday. Still not sure about 1st/3rd base with Carpenter. I liked him at 3rd, but then we'd have a void at 1st. Mo has alot of work still left to do.

Couple of thoughts...for Mo to keep his reputation, the team needs to win 90+ games or win the division and be competitive in the playoffs.

Mo did revamp the coaching staff to help Matheny. Hopefully getting Oquendo back (defense/base running collapsed without him, coincidnence?) and Maddox to handle the pitching staff, hopefully, both help a lot.

edit: Oh, and young guys do what they are projected to do, that would help.

Last edited:

BillyBob1

Champaign

What about Jose Martinez at first? Seemed productive when he was in the line-up, batted in 4 spot.

I like Martinez at 1st. Liked carp better at 2nd personally

Agree. Need power at the corner infield positions. Carp's best fitted for second but front office has been all in on Wong for a long time. We have played to long with patchwork roster which featured two lead off hitters and not enough power in the middle of the order.

I think we are getting closer. Get Carp and Fowler on in front of Ozuna.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Agree. Need power at the corner infield positions. Carp's best fitted for second but front office has been all in on Wong for a long time. We have played to long with patchwork roster which featured two lead off hitters and not enough power in the middle of the order.

I think we are getting closer. Get Carp and Fowler on in front of Ozuna.
My understanding is that Carp is not good defensively at 2nd. Wong is good at it. Also, Martinez is not good at defense either, but getting better. I think Martinez playing in a platoon against lefties at first may be the plan. His numbers against lefties are great, I believe. Martinez, also, has had a series of injuries, you don't want to put all your eggs in that basket.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Wong also had a really good season last year, apart from injuries.

Deleted member 3875

D
Let's go hard after Donaldson and get a closer. Open up the pocketbook and spend some of that $10 beer $$ I left at Busch.

Let's go hard after Donaldson and get a closer. Open up the pocketbook and spend some of that $10 beer $$ I left at Busch.

You can go hard after Donaldson but if the Jays are unwilling to trade him, which it seems like at this point, you are still left with nothing. The Jays have said that they will only trade Donaldson if it makes them a better team for this year. They are asking for an MLB OF, SP, as well as top prospects. Asking price is way too high

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
You can go hard after Donaldson but if the Jays are unwilling to trade him, which it seems like at this point, you are still left with nothing. The Jays have said that they will only trade Donaldson if it makes them a better team for this year. They are asking for an MLB OF, SP, as well as top prospects. Asking price is way too high

My hope is that the Cards get a real closer, maybe a mid rotation starter and wait for the trade deadline for their rent-a-third baseman. The team should be good enough to be battling for a playoff spot with the closer and another starter. Donaldson or Merchado at the deadline, could push them into the World Series hunt. I think this is a year when the Cards will be much better at the end of the year, than the beginning. The young guns are coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.