2017 White Sox

ILL in IA

Iowa City
So lets say they do make the move....What would you be willing to give up?

Renaldo Lopez, Blake Rutherford?

I am so conflicted on this. I don't know what to think anymore.

Not Kopech.

And not without signing him.

I am not sure what to make of all this tbh. Hahn has done a great job of positioning the team for 2019, 2020 (maybe) and beyond. I don't see how he would jeopardize that future by trading foundational pieces without some guarantee Machado is here long term.

My read:

1) he has the agreement to sign.

OR

2) he is not giving up any, or more than one, players deemed as foundational. I don't know exactly who they are, but guessing Kopech, Robert, maybe Lucas are untradeable

OR

3) He has a deal to flip Machado for players better than he is trading away.

I also read Machado wants to return to his natural position of shortstop. Are White Sox willing to do that? Is he better defensively than Anderson?

I don't know that Hahn needs to have an agreement with a third team to make the trade.

As long as Machado isn't significantly hurt, he'll be able to flip Machado basically any time he wants to. Teams will be lined up around the block to do it.

The real question is how much less in value will the prospects Hahn would get in a flip be compared to how much he has to give up. If he figures he'll get, for example, 75% the value of the prospects if he makes the trade later at the deadline, would that diminishment in prospects be worth the trade? If making the trade changes the Sox chances of signing Machado long-term from 1 in 20 to 1 in 5, is that worth it?

The Cubs flipped Jason Hammel midseason 2014 and then re-signed him in 2015, and he logged in a lot of innings for two playoff teams. The few months Hammel was with the Cubs convinced him that it was an up and coming team, and he wanted to be part of the winning. Obviously Machado is in a different stratosphere in terms of quality of player, but the example shows that it's happened, and I think the 2018 Sox are in a comparable place to the 2014 Cubs in terms of their rebuild timetable.

There are so many moving parts to the Sox trading for Machado, that it's really difficult to predict. It could work out that the Sox get more when they trade for Machado than they give up. Hypothetically, they could be in a position where St. Louis, Boston, and the Yankees are all bidding for him, whereas now - if the rumors are true - Baltimore has essentially taken two of those three teams out of the bidding. If that happens, it's a win for the Sox regardless of where Machado signs heading into 2019.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Nightengale saying the Os want him dealt in the next 24-36 hours, contingent on assurance he wont be flipped to the Yankees. The Sox were the only team I read rumored to have that in their plans, so this could mean we're either serious or out, depending on how you read it. I'm still nervous. My gut says something's brewing.

If they're going to do it, I mind losing Rey the least out of our pitching prospects. Not sure I'm a believer that he's more than a RP. I would imagine Cease would be involved. If they want Fulmer, by all means. I've read the Os are interested in arms, so I'm not worried about Rutherford being in the deal.

Hands off Hansen, Kopech. Would hate to see Dunning gone too.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Some conflicting reports with this new Nightingale article. I don't know what to believe.

I would rarely pay attention to Nightengale's reports unless they are supported by someone of greater accuracy (i.e., Rosenthal).

Bailey

Los Angeles
The Cubs flipped Jason Hammel midseason 2014 and then re-signed him in 2015, and he logged in a lot of innings for two playoff teams. The few months Hammel was with the Cubs convinced him that it was an up and coming team, and he wanted to be part of the winning. Obviously Machado is in a different stratosphere in terms of quality of player, but the example shows that it's happened, and I think the 2018 Sox are in a comparable place to the 2014 Cubs in terms of their rebuild timetable.

I have a really difficult time imagining this example being relevant in Machado dealings, especially as it pertains to the White Sox. Simply put, there's not a match between an owner that has never given a player 100mil and a player/agent rumored to be seeking literally 4 times that, regardless of the semi-immediate projections for the Sox success.