2017 White Sox

My gut tells me Houston is going to buckle, but it’s going to take more than Martes and Tucker. Those two are a *great* start though.

I agree that they are a great start, but not enough. The question is, what else does Houston have? I think those are the top two prospects in their system. They have a couple of other top 100 prospects, but I find it hard to believe that they are going to completely gut their system for Quintana. Hahn is correct to demand that given his production and contract, but I'm not sure Houston goes as far as I hope they will need to.

Agree with Anderson and Rodon. Id like to see Anderson take a step forward in being able to hit at the top of the order. I know he wont completely change and start walking a ton, but he has to be better. Rodon needs to find the strike zone more often. Id like to see what a decent catcher behind the plate does for him as well. Rodon, Q, and Sale got no help with getting calls last year.

Outside of those 2 I'm looking forward to what could be the development of our future pitching staff and the lock down of the 7th 8th and 9th innings. IF everything goes according to plan (that rarely happens where everyone pans out) we have the make up of a great 1-4 (Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez). And I think the combo of Fulmer (in my mind he will be a bullpen guy) Burdi and Jones can be killer to end games.

I agree

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I agree that they are a great start, but not enough. The question is, what else does Houston have? I think those are the top two prospects in their system. They have a couple of other top 100 prospects, but I find it hard to believe that they are going to completely gut their system for Quintana. Hahn is correct to demand that given his production and contract, but I'm not sure Houston goes as far as I hope they will need to.

Houston's close to being a really good team. I don't know their minor league system, either, but if they have any kind of depth, they could get a deal done.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Everybody ready to hold their breath for 2 hours in hopes that Quintana doesn't get struck by lightning on the mound?

If he goes over 100 pitches, I might lose my gourd.

Turns 26 in a couple months. A .702 career OPS in over 1500 MLB plate appearances, a minus defender in the outfield.

He is the absolute prototype of the AAAA, replacement-level player.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
As a fan, or opposing GM?

Oh if another GM comes calling you take it. As a fan I'm actually seeing life in his game. And not just because he had a few good games. It looks like an actual approach at the plate and he showed some off season work coming back in shape. Odds are he reverts to the back of his baseball card and is the player Champaignchris listed above. But a solid first half is the ideal way to flip him for someone and hope to get lucky.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Oh if another GM comes calling you take it. As a fan I'm actually seeing life in his game. And not just because he had a few good games. It looks like an actual approach at the plate and he showed some off season work coming back in shape. Odds are he reverts to the back of his baseball card and is the player Champaignchris listed above. But a solid first half is the ideal way to flip him for someone and hope to get lucky.

To be real with you, I haven't caught enough of this first week to faithfully counter. 1 BB in 19 at bats seems on brand though. I have seen evidence of him continuing to absolutely butcher it in right, which pretty much harpoons any and all of his value. He's not a DH for anybody.

For what it's worth, the org has spun a narrative nearly every season as it pertains to an Avi makeover, whether that be on-field or off it. I think this is the second time we've heard about his working toward getting in better shape. I don't think he's getting at bats on any roster that is actively trying to win, which explains his role on the White Sox. If we can flip him for literally anything, it'd be a heist.

Bailey

Los Angeles
For some reason I keep having free afternoons when James Shields pitches, which is tough on my blood pressure. Wildly inefficient, but effective again. Prayers up that we can flip him for something of value, if only so I don't have to watch him him grind through 5 1/3 for the millionth time.

Also my first time hearing Hawk this year. He sounds refreshed at the moment, but i'll reserve judgement for when we plummet in the standings. I do think taking home stands off is helpful for him.

What's everybody's opinion on the box? Stone/Benetti or Stone/Hawk?

dh9u8w.jpg

ILL in IA

Iowa City
For some reason I keep having free afternoons when James Shields pitches, which is tough on my blood pressure. Wildly inefficient, but effective again. Prayers up that we can flip him for something of value, if only so I don't have to watch him him grind through 5 1/3 for the millionth time.

Also my first time hearing Hawk this year. He sounds refreshed at the moment, but i'll reserve judgement for when we plummet in the standings. I do think taking home stands off is helpful for him.

What's everybody's opinion on the box? Stone/Benetti or Stone/Hawk?

dh9u8w.jpg
Stone/Benetti here. I used to be a big Hawk fan. I just want more than he can give to a broadcast now. TWTW!

Bailey

Los Angeles

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Going to be a lot of Willy Garcia type players the next few years. Take a shot at reclamation projects, try to find a diamond. If not, keeping a spot warm for the prospects coming up.

Fun fact for last night: Garcia in left filed, Garcia in centerfield, Garcia in right field. First time in history three players with same name started in the outfield.

So we got that going for us

Bailey

Los Angeles
Fun fact for last night: Garcia in left filed, Garcia in centerfield, Garcia in right field. First time in history three players with same name started in the outfield.

So we got that going for us

ezgif-3-4b350f4bb5.gif

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I though the Sox could offer more money now by going over the bonus pool with him. If it was layer the money he could get would be capped and everyone can offer the same amount. It's very possible I am wrong. The international signing process is confusing.