2017 White Sox

Bailey

Los Angeles
At first blush I felt disappointed on the better version of GFloyd. Went back and looked at his numbers and not a bad comp.

Damn, *I* had to remind myself how solid Gavin was. If Giolito can be a 4 WAR pitcher for us, sign me up.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Didn't have a chance to see Giolito pitch. Sounds like I missed a good one yesterday.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Didn't have a chance to see Giolito pitch. Sounds like I missed a good one yesterday.

Had a shot at a Maddux there for a second. I didn't realize he had a big hook and a little hook, both of which he had working for strikes. I think it may have been fooling whoever the ump was behind the plate too, because he was getting squeezed on it. There were at least two blown calls that should have been strike three looking.

Not a fan of Renteria leaving him in. He pitched out of it, but was showing obvious signed of fatigue.

I like that Renteria talked with hm, and apparently asked if he thought he could finish. Almost backfired, but it was just a long foul ball, not a grand slam. He then pitched out if it, which was impressive.

Double edge sword I guess. You know you are building for the future, yet you want to win games. You want to build a guy's confidence, and show your confidence in him so do you pull hm with a 5-0 lead in a jam or let him pitch out of it? If you are managing just to win THAT game you pull him. Managing for the future, you leave him in. Worst case is still a one run lead.

Last edited:

Bailey

Los Angeles
I like that Renteria talked with hm, and apparently asked if he thought he could finish. Almost backfired, but it was just a long foul ball, not a grand slam. He then pitched out if it, which was impressive.

Double edge sword I guess. You know you are building for the future, yet you want to win games. You want to build a guy's confidence, and show your confidence in him so do you pull hm with a 5-0 lead in a jam or let him pitch out of it? If you are managing just to win THAT game you pull him. Managing for the future, you leave him in. Worst case is still a one run lead.

My concern isn't with any particular game, it's leaving in a young arm with an injury history when he's clearly showing signs of fatigue. That's how new injuries occur.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
1 more month to go get that top draft pick. With Gonzalez gone, Id say Hahn traded off as much as he could. FWIW I think Avi gets traded this offseason.

Bailey

Los Angeles
1 more month to go get that top draft pick. With Gonzalez gone, Id say Hahn traded off as much as he could. FWIW I think Avi gets traded this offseason.

I didn't even notice Gonzo got dealt. That was unceremonious.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
That Giolito line :eek:
Because of injuries, I had to start Giolito in my fantasy baseball playoffs. Its a Quality start league, so when he got through the 6th and had 7 Ks, I was yelling at my TV, "Don't send him out for the 7th" Then he goes out for the 7th and strikes out the side. I knew he had it in him.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Rodon MRI today. Breath=held.

Welp

And for those who missed the game last night and are wondering what happened during Gio's start, here's an illustration of all pitches that were called balls last night:

2qs6idi.png

ELEVEN. Just give us robot umps already.

Welp

And for those who missed the game last night and are wondering what happened during Gio's start, here's an illustration of all pitches that were called balls last night:

2qs6idi.png

ELEVEN. Just give us robot umps already.

Wow. I tuned in late. I forget who was pitching (after Gio) but saw very similar. One pitch Smith missed, and looked crossed up, but was in the zone.

I do wonder if/how umps are graded. Eleven fairly obvious pitches called balks?

Unfortunately, we never really hear about this part.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I was looking for a hat for my 2 year old son (never to early to brainwash him with a Cardinals fan for a mom)
I came across this gem of a lid.... https://www.lids.com/chicago-white-sox-new-era-mlb-retro-classic-59fifty-cap/20942496

I think the late 80s early 90s uniform is underrated as a throwback. With the team using the other throwbacks for several years now, I wonder if they start to work these uniforms in. I would be on board with it.

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
I was looking for a hat for my 2 year old son (never to early to brainwash him with a Cardinals fan for a mom)
I came across this gem of a lid.... https://www.lids.com/chicago-white-sox-new-era-mlb-retro-classic-59fifty-cap/20942496

I think the late 80s early 90s uniform is underrated as a throwback. With the team using the other throwbacks for several years now, I wonder if they start to work these uniforms in. I would be on board with it.

Niiiice, I like that. Thanks for pointing it out, I went ahead and purchased one myself. :thumb: