2018-2019 Illini Tennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next year will be a big year for the men considering that Ohio State is losing 4 starters (JJ Wolf, Martin Joyce, Alex Kobelt and Hunter Tubert). Ohio State will reload quickly, but this is definitely our chance to jump ahead of them.

Next year will be a big year for the men considering that Ohio State is losing 4 starters (JJ Wolf, Martin Joyce, Alex Kobelt and Hunter Tubert). Ohio State will reload quickly, but this is definitely our chance to jump ahead of them.

Unfortunately, we lose four likely starters too.

Unfortunately, we lose four likely starters too.

Wait, are you talking about 2019-20, because I don't see how you come up with that if you are. We are supposed to have 5-starters back next year.

Our lineup at the end of last season was: 1) Kovacevic 2) Brown 3) Clark 4) Montsi 5) Mayo 6) Budic

Who else, besides Mayo, is not coming back?

Btw, I always thought Mayo was a strange recruit for Dancer. (I won't go into the reasons why.)

Dancer needs to land several more major recruits in the next two classes, because it would really suck to host nationals and not make it there again.

Wait, are you talking about 2019-20, because I don't see how you come up with that if you are. We are supposed to have 5-starters back next year.

Our lineup at the end of last season was: 1) Kovacevic 2) Brown 3) Clark 4) Montsi 5) Mayo 6) Budic

Who else, besides Mayo, is not coming back?

Btw, I always thought Mayo was a strange recruit for Dancer. (I won't go into the reasons why.)

Dancer needs to land several more major recruits in the next two classes, because it would really suck to host nationals and not make it there again.

No, I am talking about the following year as, I think, was the previous poster. That is when they lose the players that he listed. We lose Kova, Clark, Budic and Khlif.

Last edited:
Actually, Joyce and Tubert are done while Wolf and Kobelt have remaining eligibility. So, yes, I am confused. Either way, next year would seem to be the year to take them down. Wrt Dancer's recruiting - both Mayo and Montsi have younger brothers who are very good. Mayo doesn't look too promising now.

He was either talking about next year or he is misinformed. Joyce and Tubert were Seniors and most people are assuming that Wolf is going pro and won't be back.

Besides, even with those players, we'd better be competitive with tOSU next year because they have another monster recruiting class coming in.

No, I am talking about the following year as, I think, was the previous poster. That is when they lose the players that he listed. We lose Kova, Clark, Budic and

Actually, Joyce and Tubert are done while Wolf and Kobelt have remaining eligibility. So, yes, I am confused. Either way, next year would seem to be the year to take them down. Wrt Dancer's recruiting - both Mayo and Montsi have younger brothers who are very good. Mayo doesn't look too promising now.

I am guessing that Montsi's little brother will skip college to turn pro early. I wouldn't count on him.

And the #3 player in next year's class, Alex Lee from Hinsdale, IL just committed to Stanford. We seem to lose most of the top North Shore recruits to them.

He was either talking about next year or he is misinformed. Joyce and Tubert were Seniors and most people are assuming that Wolf is going pro and won't be back.

Besides, even with those players, we'd better be competitive with tOSU next year because they have another monster recruiting class coming in.

Too bad that McNally isn't moving on. He tried to cheat Brown on line calls both times that they played last year.

I am guessing that Montsi's little brother will skip college to turn pro early. I wouldn't count on him.

And the #3 player in next year's class, Alex Lee from Hinsdale, IL just committed to Stanford. We seem to lose most of the top North Shore recruits to them.

I hadn't heard about Lee.

I was talking about next season. JJ Wolf has announced that he is turning pro. From what I heard, Kobelt will not be back either. Illini men will have everyone back (except for Mayo). So next season is definitely a big chance to win the conference.

Too bad that McNally isn't moving on. He tried to cheat Brown on line calls both times that they played last year.

At least Brown got revenge in the rematch. He was playing much better late in the season.

And Mayo beats Brown in a third set tie-breaker (6-4, 6-7, 7-6)

Incredible. Having watched both many times this past season I would have bet my fictional beach house that Brown would have won in two sets (at least the Brown from the second half of the season).

Mayo won his next match to advance again, and Kovacevic beat Jared Hiltzik

Mayo has transferred to Loyola Marymount. Not a strong program but, I assume, closer to home. Does anyone know anything about Emily Casati who will join the Illini next year? I know that her sister played for us a few years back and that she comes from a tennis family but I can't find any results for her lately. At one time she was highly rated. Is she injured?

Mayo has transferred to Loyola Marymount. Not a strong program but, I assume, closer to home. Does anyone know anything about Emily Casati who will join the Illini next year? I know that her sister played for us a few years back and that she comes from a tennis family but I can't find any results for her lately. At one time she was highly rated. Is she injured?

She is not injured. Latest results from UTR.
1564170335048.png

Emily Casati improved quite a bit the year before she committed to Illinois. She may bit a bit of a late bloomer. Even so, she was the top-ranked player in the state.

Her sister was a solid player for Illinois, and of course her mother, Michelle (Torres) Casati, was a teen phenom, playing in three grand slam tournaments at the age of 15 and reaching #18 in the world when she was 17.

They announced that she was joining the team early, but I never heard anything about her last Spring.

I've been viewing Casati as the least talented recruit in next year's class but I'm heartened to see the results that Chief posted. She was very competitive with those (mostly) older college players.

Today it is Kova's turn to take on Mayo. Also, an intriguing match just ended between Sipho and Gui (two guys I hope make big contributions next season). Gui wound up winning 7-6 (4), 1-6, 10-8.

Today it is Kova's turn to take on Mayo. Also, an intriguing match just ended between Sipho and Gui (two guys I hope make big contributions next season). Gui wound up winning 7-6 (4), 1-6, 10-8.
Where are they playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.