2018-2019 PGA Season

breadman

Herndon, VA
Except for the scenery, Pebble pro-am is just another ho-hum tournament last round. Bunch of dullards announcing and no Bill Murray!

Beautiful place, though, and I like Nick. Rather have him at NBC than Azinger, but Nick ain't the controversial type on air, it seems.

Great coverage overall, but McCord is still a jerk IMO. And Kostis (sp?) is a non-entity making million$.

So next week the tour goes to Riviera. Same ol' same ol' blah blah blah?

breadman

Herndon, VA
Oleo,
I am going to beg to differ on McCord and Costis. Would love to have McCord at the Masters.
I think they both bring goodness and interest to the broadcast.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I tell you what, these guys are playing in some really weird course conditions today to finish this thing off, and I like it.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Great effort by Langley, probably his best finish on the Tour in years, and he held strong on Sunday against a stacked field. He's now 54th in Fedex Cup standings, and has a good shot of making the Players field next month.

Another good week for Langley, finishing T37 at -2.
Every time you cash on the PGA tour, you're beating a number of the best

Showing up on ESPN2 streaming, while watching the PU/IU game, is announcing our own Steve Stricker to be the next Ryder Cup Captain!!!
Hope there is a huge push for Stricker to add Mike Small as an assistant captain. Since the Ryder Cup is a PGA of America event and Small has such a good record in PGA events this might not be too far fetched.

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
Hope there is a huge push for Stricker to add Mike Small as an assistant captain. Since the Ryder Cup is a PGA of America event and Small has such a good record in PGA events this might not be too far fetched.

It looks like he can pick 5 vice captains (assistants) and Stricker has already said Jim Furyk will be one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Kelly gets picked also. Mike Small would be a longshot but would give the matches a big Illini presence especially if Thomas Pieters makes the Euro team.

I would be absolutely shocked if Strick picked Small. A guy who only plays a few events on tour each year and does not long standing stature with tour pros is a unlikely choice to help the team during a very stressful event. I would have to say, honestly, that Mike Small would be a poor choice actually. Not an unlikely one, a poor choice. Sorry

I would be absolutely shocked if Strick picked Small. A guy who only plays a few events on tour each year and does not long standing stature with tour pros is a unlikely choice to help the team during a very stressful event. I would have to say, honestly, that Mike Small would be a poor choice actually. Not an unlikely one, a poor choice. Sorry

I respectfully disagree. The US Ryder Cup team needs someone adept in team dynamics (a Mike Small strong point), it is run by the US PGA (where Small has long standing stature) and Stricker (along with all US captains) is under pressure to do something different to change the recent outcomes. Of course, none of it will matter if the US team plays as lousy as they have recently.

I respectfully disagree. The US Ryder Cup team needs someone adept in team dynamics (a Mike Small strong point), it is run by the US PGA (where Small has long standing stature) and Stricker (along with all US captains) is under pressure to do something different to change the recent outcomes. Of course, none of it will matter if the US team plays as lousy as they have recently.
You make good points, with which I agree. I just don't think that Small, a complete newbie to these guys, would have that credibility.
I think he has the ability, not the credibility. I won't be unhappy with his choice, just very surprised.

FlyNavy

Los Angeles

Thanks for the post, great read. And the parallel to Coach K's impact on the turnaround of USA Basketball is tough to dispute. Maybe Coach will get the call after all. Keep in mind there are 3 (or 4?) assistant captains, so he would likely still have a couple players in those slots - maybe Davis Love III (last captain to win). Maybe Tiger, depending on how the President's Cup goes (and whether he's a player-captain).

I do like Coach's comments: “If I was asked, I would help in any way,” Small said. “I’d carry the water if they wanted me to carry the water. I’d drive the van if they wanted me to drive the van.”

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
Nothing like hitting an awful shot, yelling at it, then watching it go...into the hole! D.A. pulled off an ace yesterday on the 7th at the Arnold Palmer Invitational! Awesome reaction, and of course good commentary by David Feherty:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/da-points-hits-shot-hates-it-makes-hole-one

D.A. finished the day at even par, Langley is +2 and Strick is +3. They all have some work to do to make the cut today...

FlyNavy

Los Angeles
D.A. and Strick made the cut for the API, Strick shooting a 32 on the back 9 to play the weekend. Well done!

Rough day for Langley, hopefully he bounces back next week at the Players.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Oh, well. Keep moving. Nothing to see here as all four Illini failed to make the cut this weekend in Florida: Stricker, Meyer, Points and Langley. And that's why they play next weekend. That Valspar course is tough in Palm Harbor!!