2018 Illinois Baseball

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Illinois was scheduled to play this weekend in Texas. However, this interesting story says otherwise. The most recent Twitter post indicates they may have found a solution.

As for the team, the Illini should have a strong lineup and solid defense. Pitching is key as the only certainly is Joey Gerber in the closing role.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Bren hit two today, one was a wind aided gift, the other a bomb!

I still remember how fun 2015 was when we won 27 straight. I'm a baseball guy at heart, but college baseball can be hard to follow if you don't live in the college town itself sometimes. I was legitimately tuning into BTN whenever I could to watch our squad. I'm not expecting anything like that necessarily, but I really want to make the NCAAs again! Let's keep it rollin', Illini!

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
I still remember how fun 2015 was when we won 27 straight. I'm a baseball guy at heart, but college baseball can be hard to follow if you don't live in the college town itself sometimes. I was legitimately tuning into BTN whenever I could to watch our squad. I'm not expecting anything like that necessarily, but I really want to make the NCAAs again! Let's keep it rollin', Illini!

A NCAA bid should be very attainable if pitching continues to progress. Hitting and defense is good.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

If only we could combine that 2015 team's pitching with this current team's batting. We'd be pretty much unbeatable.

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA

I'm with you, I find the lead up to and the actual CWS is a lot of fun to follow in the early summer....much more so if our Illini are tearing it up :thumb:

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
I'm with you, I find the lead up to and the actual CWS is a lot of fun to follow in the early summer....much more so if our Illini are tearing it up :thumb:

Recruiting has significantly improved beginning with the Bren Spillane class. The incoming group is excellent. This program is definitely on the upswing.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Recruiting has significantly improved beginning with the Bren Spillane class. The incoming group is excellent. This program is definitely on the upswing.

What's been the cause of the improvement in recruiting? Hartlieb's been here a while. Do we have newer assistant coaches that are getting the kids in here?

What's been the cause of the improvement in recruiting? Hartlieb's been here a while. Do we have newer assistant coaches that are getting the kids in here?

Baseball recruiting is a crapshoot. The top players are likely to get recruited by the pros right out of high school, but that doesn't occur until after they have committed to college, typically. At that point, they have to weigh the pro offer vs. the college offer. The outcome of a given recruiting class can hinge on two or three of those decisions by 17 year olds.

Deleted member 346957

D
Today was a pretty cool day. I'm currently a grad assistant at Concordia Chicago and work in the athletics department. Our baseball team is very good and today was a very cool moment around our university and our baseball program to be playing Illinois.

Having played college baseball before and Illinois being my favorite school, this was a very cool day for me to watch.

Go Illini

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Bren hit 2 more Home Runs tonight, a couple steals and scored 3 runs.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Baseball recruiting is a crapshoot. The top players are likely to get recruited by the pros right out of high school, but that doesn't occur until after they have committed to college, typically. At that point, they have to weigh the pro offer vs. the college offer. The outcome of a given recruiting class can hinge on two or three of those decisions by 17 year olds.

It's all about early identification. Verbal commitments are given early (sophomore/junior years). The Illini had a couple of classes that didn't pan out. Luke Shilling (huge arm but little production yet) and Bren Spillane were nationally regarded prospects drafted out of high school. Dan Hartleb also has one of the best pitching coaches in Drew Dickinson. Dickinson was a major influence in developing Tyler Jay and Cody Sedlock and is especially good at identifying bullpen arms.

There is never a can't miss prospect but the incoming class has a ton of potential with two likely 2018 MLB draftees in pitcher Aidan Maldonado and catcher Jacob Campbell and shortstop Branden Comia is also a national recruit.

Go Illini!

It's all about early identification. Verbal commitments are given early (sophomore/junior years). The Illini had a couple of classes that didn't pan out. Luke Shilling (huge arm but little production yet) and Bren Spillane were nationally regarded prospects drafted out of high school. Dan Hartleb also has one of the best pitching coaches in Drew Dickinson. Dickinson was a major influence in developing Tyler Jay and Cody Sedlock and is especially good at identifying bullpen arms.

There is never a can't miss prospect but the incoming class has a ton of potential with two likely 2018 MLB draftees in pitcher Aidan Maldonado and catcher Jacob Campbell and shortstop Branden Comia is also a national recruit.

Go Illini!

Hasn't Shilling been injured?

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Hasn't Shilling been injured?

Yes and was hitting 95, 96 mph on the gun in the preseason. The issue has always been throwing strikes consistently. His curveball is nasty as well. He could be a great piece when he returns in the next 2-3 weeks.