2018 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
No, it would take us signing Tevian Jones and a big who can contribute right away by defending the paint. Those two things and Black stays around for his last year, along with reasonable improvement from our youngsters.
Add that to Ayo and Griffin and I think that would be a pretty great class. You must have higher expectations than that.

LOL. As has already been posted, his earnings potential will increase significantly by playing NCAA hoops another year. I'd be incredibly shocked if LB left his fiancee in C-U to go play ball in Europe.

You asked for a reason. Money drives some more than others. Also have to realize these are kids. Logic and full thought processes are easily ignored when presented with favorable alternatives, AKA money.

Not trying to call Leron dumb, just saying large sums of money, relatively speaking, tempt those who are young and naive much more than those of with a few more years under their belt.

LOL. As has already been posted, his earnings potential will increase significantly by playing NCAA hoops another year. I'd be incredibly shocked if LB left his fiancee in C-U to go play ball in Europe.

I don't think you realize how close to leaving he is, but LOL all you want. Money motivates, and he will do what he has to to support his family.

...and another great season in college from Leron could mean the difference between the Spanish League and the Austrian League...

haasi

New York
Everything I've heard is that he's already gone. Time will tell, but I'm not counting on Leron being an Illini next season.

If he actually does leave early to go to Europe, this will be a weird message board-concocted scenario come true. Next, Luther Head will start paying for scholarships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If so I don’t blame him, but man that rebuild keeps getting harder and harder

Yup, on a team lacking bigs, you can't overstate how important Leron is. Great touch around the basket, can hit FTs, can step out to the 3 point line, and has given us some physicality.

Very efficient player deserving of the all BIG honorable mention.

Black played way better than I had anticipated he would this year but if he leaves, doesn't that allow Finke (assuming he stays) to play the Stretch 4 that he's probably more suited to. Still not sure of his ability to guard those and realizing we still need a 5 too. And I forgot to mention that I was more confident with Black shooting 3s than anyone else on the team...who would have thought I would ever say that?

If Black decides to go,I can't blame him...he already has his degree and you only have so many years to make your money as a professional athlete....even if he's only making 50-75K somewhere...Are players no longer able to go through the NBA workouts to get feedback and then opt out before the draft and retain their eligibility? Id think that he'd at least do that even without the intention of leaving.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Wow, you guys before 7:00AM have your debate gear on already! Do you have it all laid out the night before to jump into like a first-responder? :cool: :D

Can't speak for the rest, but I'm in Barcelona right now, 7 hours ahead of ya'll in CST, and a nice change from my normal PST being 2 hours behind all the Midwestern fans. :illinois:

Last edited:
She graduated. Hes going to play pro basketball whether its now or a year from now. Hes not going to the NBA. I dont see such harm in starting that career now. I hope he stays but going to europe now may be the best thing for him. He wont get a lot that first year but he wouldnt next year either. Get that extra year in Europe to prove himself could go a long way.

He'll develop more here as the center of attention than he would on some Euro bench.

She graduated. Hes going to play pro basketball whether its now or a year from now. Hes not going to the NBA. I dont see such harm in starting that career now. I hope he stays but going to europe now may be the best thing for him. He wont get a lot that first year but he wouldnt next year either. Get that extra year in Europe to prove himself could go a long way.

He's likely not going to get drafted if he stays but he still may want to chase the dream while he can. He has some abilities that given the right fit could land him a free agent contract with an NBA team.

Much longer shots have made NBA careers

Can't speak for the rest, but I'm in Barcelona right now, 7 hours ahead of ya'll in CST, and a nice change from my normal PST being 2 hours behind all the Midwestern fans. :illinois:

So you can let us know 7 hours in advance whos transferring? You're the savior this board needs!

I don't care if it's been posted on here or not, but it isn't true. The only reason to stay is if he has NBA potential but he doesn't, he's an overseas player. He had an excellent season so he has nothing else to prove to potential teams. He already has a degree and had a great season, so now he needs to focus on his career. The only thing keeping him from going pro is the idea of unfinished business but that's not worth it when a lot of money is on the line. Might as well get money now when your future as a player is affected by injury and age.

I don't care if it's been posted on here or not, but it isn't true. The only reason to stay is if he has NBA potential but he doesn't, he's an overseas player. He had an excellent season so he has nothing else to prove to potential teams. He already has a degree and had a great season, so now he needs to focus on his career. The only thing keeping him from going pro is the idea of unfinished business but that's not worth it when a lot of money is on the line. Might as well get money now when your future as a player is affected by injury and age.

If you are high level player in a major conference (which Black is) it is likely that you feel you have some chance at catching on in the NBA. While the odds are certainly against you, it's probably worth giving it a shot until all realistic options are done. Given the improvement from Sophomore to Junior year that Black made I see a definite upside to staying stateside for another year and giving the NBA a go. I certainly wouldn't concede to having a European career at this point if I was him

So we know M. Smith is gone. What is the time table for the others? Ive been reading the board and looking at twitter like crazy. I listened to the Brad Underwood show last night to see what he said and didn't say, to try and leave tea leaves.

My takeaways:
He referred to Leron like he was coming back next year. Mentioned him taking another step forward and moving him outside more often due to his ability to hit the 3. BU mentioned that they had a "good talk today" (yesterday). Fingers crossed Leron stays... however things I have read on here would make sense if he chose to leave. New coach that he wasn't recruited under (owes no loyalties to), he and his fiance graduated, he redshirted a year thus a year older and increasing want to potentially make money, people don't see him as an NBA guy, thus go make money due to what was previously mentioned.

When they talked about Tejon he did not refer or give a direction of what to expect from him next year. (maybe he is leaving?)

When talking about Kipper it definitely sounded like BU expects him back. Talked about him getting in the weight room etc.

A lot of conspiracy theories out there. Lets hope after a frustrating year... BU gets the guys he needs to succeed.

BU said one of the things he took away from year 1 was that he was proud of the guys and all the adversity that they fought through. They never gave up. It will be interesting in year 2 if there is progress made with so many potentially new faces....

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Spot on.

If you are high level player in a major conference (which Black is) it is likely that you feel you have some chance at catching on in the NBA. While the odds are certainly against you, it's probably worth giving it a shot until all realistic options are done. Given the improvement from Sophomore to Junior year that Black made I see a definite upside to staying stateside for another year and giving the NBA a go. I certainly wouldn't concede to having a European career at this point if I was him

Black doesn't have the length for the NBA. Even with a stellar 5th year, he's not making the league.

Much as I'd love for him to stay, he'll be smart to go. I think he's leaving.

Black doesn't have the length for the NBA. Even with a stellar 5th year, he's not making the league.

Much as I'd love for him to stay, he'll be smart to go. I think he's leaving.

If you said probably not making the league I would agree. This absolutism that a guy is incapable of making the league when we have dozens of examples every year of undrafted guys who make rosters just seems silly to me.

Not to mention most guys dream of making the NBA and will at least give it a shot before heading over seas make these predictions a bit premature

Deleted member 628259

D
Apropos of nothing in this thread, but it freaking sucks reading about K-State and Mizzou making the tournament while we sit at home. I wouldn't trade our coach for either of theirs, but it's been freaking forever since we played a meaningful postseason game.

Pittsburgh

Pennsylvania
If you said probably not making the league I would agree. This absolutism that a guy is incapable of making the league when we have dozens of examples every year of undrafted guys who make rosters just seems silly to me.

Not to mention most guys dream of making the NBA and will at least give it a shot before heading over seas make these predictions a bit premature

+

This guy or that guy might not be league material - just try telling them that when they are 22 and seeing their game grow each year.

+

This guy or that guy might not be league material - just try telling them that when they are 22 and seeing their game grow each year.

Exactly. Tell a guy who is 6'7 220 went for 15ppg and 5rbg at the highest level of college ball that he has zero chance at the NBA. Particularly one who just went from moderate midrange threat to +50% 3point threat in a year.

Being an excellent outside shooter is the great equalizer in todays game.

Status
Not open for further replies.