2018 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Vesel showed he doesn’t have the skill set/IQ at this point. His saving graces at this point are his passing and he moves really well for a 6’10 guy.

If he could develop skills and iq, his athleticism could separate him to be a pretty good player. Just seems highly unlikely.

Thought BU raved about his shooting ability last year when he first arrived. Played total of 37 mins (conference) but don't remember any pos or neg ball handling. My impression was he wasn't comfortable knowing where he should be or what he should be doing. Also not aggressive but may be due to previous statement. Also with him being #11 on the chart, how much scrimmage time did he get? Also don't know how good his English is and if he had trouble understanding instructions. Seems like if he has physical abilities a year could make a significant difference. Maybe my desire for another significant big is rationalizing my logic.

Thought BU raved about his shooting ability last year when he first arrived. Played total of 37 mins (conference) but don't remember any pos or neg ball handling. My impression was he wasn't comfortable knowing where he should be or what he should be doing. Also not aggressive but may be due to previous statement. Also with him being #11 on the chart, how much scrimmage time did he get? Also don't know how good his English is and if he had trouble understanding instructions. Seems like if he has physical abilities a year could make a significant difference. Maybe my desire for another significant big is rationalizing my logic.

I think BU "raves" in some instances for other reasons other than simply facts:

Mark Smith to build confidence (to cajole parents possibly)
Matic Vesel again confidence to build up a player in unfamiliar surroundings, possibly overwhelmed, feeling in over his head...who knows.

BU imo, doesn't just make statements such as they along these lines, to simply state a point, there are always motive behind. This is his MO and how he motivates guys.

The defense has to get a lot better! Yeah, not having a post presence made a big difference. Having said that the defense was still extraordinarily bad. Gave up 200 points to Iowa in 2 games! Iowa, was good on offense, but that's embarrassing.
I don't like Underwood's defense. High reward (turnovers), high risk (lay-ups and dunks). If they can win with it i'm in, but field goal percentages opposing teams shot against IL was record setting.
I was glad to see Lucas shoot the ball from 3 a few times the last game. He made a couple. He has got to be a threat on the court when on offense. I think he can shoot much better than he believes, which would make the offense that much better when he's in. He's got to be a threat out there.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
The defense has to get a lot better! Yeah, not having a post presence made a big difference. Having said that the defense was still extraordinarily bad. Gave up 200 points to Iowa in 2 games! Iowa, was good on offense, but that's embarrassing.
I don't like Underwood's defense. High reward (turnovers), high risk (lay-ups and dunks). If they can win with it i'm in, but field goal percentages opposing teams shot against IL was record setting.
I was glad to see Lucas shoot the ball from 3 a few times the last game. He made a couple. He has got to be a threat on the court when on offense. I think he can shoot much better than he believes, which would make the offense that much better when he's in. He's got to be a threat out there.

I am not a huge fan of Underwood’s type of defense either but, think a shot blocker would make big difference trying to make that style work. When those layups and dunks are more contested the pressure will work a lot better.

I feel like BU's defense is a great way to get a slightly less talented team to be competitive with a stud team. Not a materially less talented team, as we all saw this year. But if you have talent (see WVU for a picture), then it works pretty well.

That said, WVU never actually makes it to the top of the mountain. So, to be dominant, you also need stud talent. At that point, I don't know if you need to play this high pressure defense or not. But, I'll gladly watch this until the talent catches up. At that point, it might be interesting to see if he sticks with the high risk / high reward style that you accurately describe.

I am hoping that longer athletes and more experience and a rim protector will make it viable. Do not agree that we have no athletes. TeJon is a terrific athlete by my stds. He is quick and he can jump. However he is not long and hasn't shown a confidence or ability to shoot. Believe we need "Flying Illini" type players to make BU's system work. Doesn't look like we are recruiting any players shorter than 6'3" and the 6'5" or taller with quickness are preferred. (Jones, Hinson type). The coming year will tell us a lot more as the team has had a year of experience and some added pcs.

I like the defense. The pressure is excellent at disrupting the opponent. When the players are there, the backdoors are reduced and when the game is faster, opponents make many more mistakes. I prefer that to pack line and slow down basketball.

While I understand the constant pressure, I’d rather see defenders keep their man in front of them 35 feet from the basket. It just doesn’t make sense to pressure that far out to be burned for easy basket after easy basket. JMHO.

EJ33

San Francisco
If you've ever wondered how Beilein does it there's some great insight in this article:

Niyo: Beilein’s focus on basics set table for Michigan success

The details can be devilish, all right. Everything has to be done on two feet, as a jump-stop allows either foot to become a pivot foot, or a “hot” foot. Ball’s in the air, feet are in the air. Catch on two, pass on two. You pass with the seams and with backspin, to facilitate the shot on the receiving end. The pass gets delivered toward the outside hand of a teammate to avoid the defender. This gets repeated over and over in two- and four-man drills, 10 perfect passes in 30 seconds. Misfire on one, and it’s time to run.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 13m13 minutes ago
Purdue's Carsen Edwards will enter the 2018 NBA Draft, but won't hire an agent, per release.

Haven't seen him on any mock drafts, so I would expect him to be back. I do think he's got a shot at the NBA at some point though. I see him as a Fred Van Vleet type at the next level.

Haven't seen him on any mock drafts, so I would expect him to be back. I do think he's got a shot at the NBA at some point though. I see him as a Fred Van Vleet type at the next level.

He is a much much better version than Van Fleet, a way better scorer/penetrator that him PG might be even though.,:chief:

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Personally, I think AJ will be our MVP next year, regardless of how many points he scores. AJ will lead by example, working his tail off, and, I think, be a mentor and positive influence on all the returning and incoming players.

ChazzReinhold

Mom! The Meatloaf!
I just hope BU figures out how to get these players to more rapidly "figure it out". The teaching process needs process improvement. Rolling over your team has consequences. We'll see if BU can install his system with this new team better than he did this year (I am a BU fan btw...no disrespect intended).

Maybe those guys did figure it out but just couldn't do it.

Looks like TeJon is out and Andres Feliz is in. The kid is a scoring machine. Feliz,Frazier,Ayo,DaMonte,Alan Griffin,Aaron Jordon. A lot of guards.

What makes you so sure Feliz is in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of chaos or Creaning players. But how many times did BU say this team didn't turn it on when the lights were on? He said this was the first team he had to figure out how to motivate.

We never truly ran the BU offense, because I don't think there was enough buy in. I don't totally buy that we lacked the players for the offense.

When things got tougher in the BIG, our 3 top players were Black, Trent, and Kipper. So I don't know how much of it was BU and how much of it was a realization that certain players weren't going to give you 100 percent all the time.

He's a lightly recruited JUCO guard. Have to imagine he's ours if we want him. And we certainly seem too.

He's a very similar player to Lucas. But I guess one is happy playing 2nd fiddle while the other isnt.

Feliz is the #1 JUCO PG in the country (I'm well aware JUCO talent is nowhere near the level it was before prep schools). He seems to be an offensive upgrade over Lucas (shoots 42% from 3), but I'd imagine would be a downgrade defensively. Staff must think he's an upgrade overall or else they wouldn't be nudging Lucas out the door.

I used to love Illinois basketball. These last couple of years have been no fun at all. I really hope Underwood has a plan, because right now, it looks like an absolute mess, and we really don’t know what Ayo will be, everyone who is singing his praises were all saying Mark Smith will be a program changer. We have zero big guys with big ten skill. I just don’t see how this becomes a winning program for at least three years. Who is going to give Underwood four years to sniff the tourney?

I agree! Recruiting is not BU’s strength. I fear his bull dog intensity and hard !!! demeanor are already wearing thin with players & prospective recruits. As losses continue to pile up and another season is lost, I worry that our program will fall even further behind and a BU rebuild will be nearly impossible.

I am baffled at the unconditional optimism of so many on this board. A massive roster rebuild at the end of March with very few serviceable players left to replace significant contributors of a competitive team that still finished near the bottom of the Big 10. Next year is pretty much lost. Can BU recruit his way out of this mess? I hope so but given BUs recruiting track record - I’m not feeling it.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
IMO the "players who fit his system" mantra is way overused, not only for Underwood but many coaches. Eventually, talent fits a lot of systems. The premise that we will outsystem other great coaches in the B1G and other good conferences/teams holds no water. We need a serious upgrade in talent.

Would you consider the Loyola Chicago roster a "serious upgrade in talent"?

We are 2 players, Jordan and Kipper, away from a 100 % Groce out. Jordan graduates and Kipper probably goes 5th year grad after next year. So in 2 full playing seasons, the tear down is complete. Starting year 3 it will be Underwood's team 100%.

AJ's dad has said many times he intends to finish his career at U of I. I like his toughness and we will need his veteran leadership next yr.

I am VERY impressed with AJ. The road hasn't always been the smoothest or the easiest, but he just keeps working on his game. This guy really impresses me. Don't know what his major is, but if I had a job opening in his field, I would hire him in a second. He's all heart.

We are 2 players, Jordan and Kipper, away from a 100 % Groce out. Jordan graduates and Kipper probably goes 5th year grad after next year. So in 2 full playing seasons, the tear down is complete. Starting year 3 it will be Underwood's team 100%.

Why? I still do not understand the persistence on this board of getting rid of Kipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.