2018 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see this team being as bad as some are making it sound. Forget the record, and look at how we played and how we got beat. I think we are an average at best big man away from a big step forward next year. Sure we don't know where that average at best big is going to come from, but I think we find that guy. Having that big changes sever guys roles to better suit their skill sets. With that, we just need to keep the key parts from transferring out.

:thumb::thumb:

I was encouraged by what I saw offensively the last few games. Better ball and player movement, better cuts, actually had a few backdoor alley oops and lay-ins. Looked more comfortable.
Kipper, had a few really good games, which means the potential is there for big season. Yes, needs more consistency, but what he did ain't easy.
I think Smith will shoot better and Ayo will be big upgrade. So, I think this team will be improved offensively.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Kipper, had a few really good games, which means the potential is there for big season. Yes, needs more consistency, but what he did ain't easy.

It's easy for me to forget that Kipper is only a sophomore. Hoping he makes a big leap next year (and stays on our roster).

It's easy for me to forget that Kipper is only a sophomore. Hoping he makes a big leap next year (and stays on our roster).

Yes, he's still a youngster. I think Kipper is going to be huge next year! I'm looking forward to watching his progress.

:chief:

spike49

New Mexico
Looking backward and forward...

I watched the end of season Mark Smith interview on the Iowa thread and boy, if BU is looking for leadership, this is the wrong guy. He looks like a guy who lost his girlfriend, dog died, and parents moved without leaving him the new address- all in the same week. Get him to the nearest Dale Carnegie class ASAP.

Then I see that Mark Tupper may have thrown down the gauntlet in his Decatur paper column. He either predicted or demanded 20 Illini wins next year. I respect Tupper more than any other regular Illini columnist and he has been a staunch BU supporter this year, but I find the timing and tone of his prediction interesting.

On to baseball- go Isotopes (and Cubs, maybe)

So since I along with everyone here loves to be a coach from the couch I thought it might be interesting to see what we think every player needs to work on this off season to take that next step to helping the team win next year.

Trent Frazier - This one is tough because the kid has far exceeded what I thought he would be this soon. If he was giving us this production his senior year I would have been happy. I'm going to say work on his right hand dribble drive ability. Could definitely favor his left.

Kipper Nichols - Attitude/toughness/competitive fire. Guy has all the tools but I think he needs a little bit of a mean streak in him.

Greg Eboigbodin - Strength/Post game. I think he has the will/drive to get the rebound just needs the physicality.

Te'Jon Lucas - Three Point shot. Kid can drive with the best of them. He needs to make the defender think he could hit a three at any point.

Mark Smith - Handles, Handles, Handles and confidence. Kid can be a load when he drives it but he doesn't always have the confidence to do so and I saw a lot of times where he gets stripped or just lost it on his own.

Da'Monte Williams - Grow about 4 inches would be great. Keep that knee healthy and be the best friend of Fletch to increase his explosiveness.

Aaron Jordan - I'll let Rob put his two cent in here :D

Matic Vesel - I'll be happy he is becomes Finke 2.0
Leron Black - Learn to know when to pass and when to shoot while in the post. Kill his power dribble. Learn not to foul.

Michael Finke - Rebounding could be better. Wish we would utilize him more in the pinch post.

Ayo - TBD

Look forward to your opinions!

The biggest thing thing Leron and Finke need to do to improve their game is recruit a center or two so they dont have to live deep in the paint next year.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Deon told Writing Illini that with a big an an aggressive athletic wing, we can be a tourney team. But what does he know?

Deleted member 628259

D
The biggest thing thing Leron and Finke need to do to improve their game is recruit a center or two so they dont have to live deep in the paint next year.

YES. Finke has been almost ruined trying to play 5.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Deon told Writing Illini that with a big an an aggressive athletic wing, we can be a tourney team. But what does he know?

Does Deon have any eligibility left ??? Can you imagine him on this team.....t

Here is the one that stands out the most to me. Might want to keep a closer eye on his projections come the start of next season.

FWIW, Kenpom has a projection of 15-16 / 5-13 right now.

While its far too early to make predictions for next year, some of the factors I take encouragement from are:

1) We only won one "toss up" game - where it came down to the final few possession and we actually snatched victory from the other team. In most close games this year, we showed an incredible knack to snatch defeat from the proverbial jaws of victory. Part of this is learning how to win; part is luck. If we go "50-50" in such game next year, that would be good for 2 more wins.

2) We had 2 serviceable big 10 starters playing at or near "position" at year-end (Trent and Leron) but 6 or 7 additional serviceable Big 10 players (players with exploitable offensive and defensive weaknesses that become more evident the longer they are on the court) -- our challenge is at that various times these players were either playing out of position (I get the whole positionless offense thing, but we still have to defend) or putting in starters minutes, and the coaching and scouting in the Big 10 is too good, and the season too long, to have that. So it is feasible that with one or two more Big 10 Starters added (Ayo and ?), and one or two more Big 10 Starters developed (favorites here would be Mark Smith and Kipper), our roster members who should be role players at this level (at least early in their careers) can be just that -- and much more effective in the minutes they are on the floor. As evidenced by Kendrick Nunn, Malcolm Hill and Maverick Morgan in recent years, and Trent and Leron this year, these kids do develop their skill sets over time, and game experience is invaluable in helping them do that.

3) Although the Big 10 was off this year in overall quality, we generally fielded a competitive, but really young, inexperienced (and often low BB IQ) team -- we were only really blown out of two games. We got more consistent and paid greater attention to detail over the course of the year -- but we ended up where many teams started the year. There aren't too many games that we lost where we lost due to a lack of effort and hustle. We lost a lot of games due to a lack of talent (natural or developed) and brains. As seniors, perhaps this year's crop of freshman could develop the skills and guile to compete and win with the raw talent on, say, a Michigan State; however, as freshman and sophomores, with a few relatively inexperienced juniors, competing against a mix of talent and experience at other places, we struggled. I see that getting better next year, if only because we won't be the most inexperienced team in the Big 10, and we will be returning a material portion of our scoring and starting minutes.

So even though it is far too early to make predictions about next year, at this time, assuming no significant defections, and adding a serviceable big (Starter) and either an athletic wing or a high caliber shooter (role players) I will make a prediction of our record falling anywhere from 16-15 to 21-10 next year. I think our Big 10 record will be from 5-13 to 9-9.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
We have no idea what the roster looks like for next year.

This. So much uncertainty, it’s pointless to discuss.

Never stoped us before, but the world is ending stuff is out of control.

Could we at least wait to see what the roster looks like before we pass judgement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Man I don't buy into the thought that Damonte would transfer or any of the freshmen but if they did I would throw up.....

i keep hearing that a few players might leave. i'm wondering who?

Tejon did mention in year end interview "Hopefully we can get everyone to come back"...or along those lines. Conversations have been had, and I would think from that comment, they were had between players, not necessarily from coaches?

I wouldn't be too harsh on the optimistic folks, but yeah, it's hard to take away any positives from this season, and certainly not enough to envision getting to the dance.

Thing that concerns me the most is that I didn't see Underwood get his system installed. Just looking at some stats, we were 257th in possessions per game in Groce's last season, and only went from 70 to 73. We even look slow. And we foul like crazy. Never seen so much fouling by an Illini team. I get that he wants guys to be aggressive, but this is crazy. Very little seems to click yet for this group.

Add to that an imbalanced roster, only two BIG caliber players (three with Ayo), and a culture that's been losing for years now, and it's really hard to see when this will get turned around.

My guess is slowly, but no matter the pace, we're a long way away. :(

No one else has ever seen it either. We set the school record this year.

Coach Henson always said players make the biggest jump between sophomore and junior years. Hopefully, that holds true with Kipper. Kid has the tools to be special.

Coach Henson always said players make the biggest jump between sophomore and junior years. Hopefully, that holds true with Kipper. Kid has the tools to be special.

Coach Self always said players make the biggest jump between freshman and sophomore years. Hopefully that holds true for Smith, Vesel, Ebo and DMW. those kids have the tools to be special.:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.