2018 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 631370

D
Mentioning this in the off-season thread, as it's currently in the recruiting thread.

Loren Tate saying it'll be awhile before we know Black's status. He said Kipper is returning. TJL is 50/50, and Matic is gone.

If we manage to get through this offseason only losing Smith and Matic, I consider that a victory.

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
Mentioning this in the off-season thread, as it's currently in the recruiting thread.

Loren Tate saying it'll be awhile before we know Black's status. He said Kipper is returning. TJL is 50/50, and Matic is gone.

If we manage to get through this offseason only losing Smith and Matic, I consider that a victory.

If we keep only Leron, I'll consider it a homerun. Great news on Kip.

Deleted member 631370

D

He is definitely the most important piece.

But if we were to lose Kipper, TJL, and Finke -- even though we keep Leron -- that would not be ideal.

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
He is definitely the most important piece.

But if we were to lose Kipper, TJL, and Finke -- even though we keep Leron -- that would not be ideal.

Right, but assuming that the Kip info is good, I'd be completely happy with Leron + Kip staying and losing Smith, Vesel, TJL, Finke. JMO.

Kipper will get better, but he makes a lot of silly mental mistakes. Thought he had games where he looked like a freshman. That said, I looked at sports-reference.com for college bball stats, and thought it would be interesting to see how our players were ranked, based on conference games, win share per 40 minutes.

.143 Leron Black
.132 Kipper
.083 Spicy
.081 AJ
.068 Trent
.049 Alstork
.047 Finke
.041 TJL
.016 DMW
-.026 Smith

I'm not sure I disagree with that list, although clearly Trent was put in a leader role where he had to take tough shots. Obviously a 'per 40' stat will overstate contribution for players with low minutes, but efficient production (e.g. Spicy). Interesting none-the-less.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Yeah... I didn't understand the previous statement about $100k exemption. I worked overseas and the IRS got all over me for a measly $15k ....

The original post was about getting taxed by the US and a foreign country. If you're working for a US company overseas, you'll still pay US taxes, but not to the foreign government. If you're working for a foreign company, as I'm guessing any European pro basketball team would be considered by the IRS, then you'd pay taxes to the foreign government, but wouldn't have to pay both the foreign gov't and the US, on the first ~$100K you make, provided some basic residency requirements are met. Also could depend on treaty agreements with each specific country, as pointed out earlier. Results may vary. Consult your doctor to determine if foreign tax exemption is right for you!

Not sure what Worldly Illini's specific situation was, but you still have to file taxes with the US gov't either way, but there are times when one can claim the foreign income exemption:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

I'm sure we don't need to spiral into an overseas taxation forum, but my point was, to an earlier poster, that Leron shouldn't have to pay taxes to the US and to a European country for the same salary (in many cases). He'd have to reside the majority of the year in the same foreign country, and would be wise to take advice from a knowledgeable tax accountant and not a knucklehead like me posting on a message board.

Point is null for 2018-19 if Leron comes back and plays, which we all hope he does. :illinois:

Last edited:
I'm sure we don't need to spiral into an overseas taxation forum, but my point was, to an earlier poster, that Leron shouldn't have to pay taxes to the US and to a European country for the same salary (in many cases). He'd have to reside the majority of the year in the same foreign country, and would be wise to take advice from a knowledgeable tax accountant and not a knucklehead like me posting on a message board.

I can tell you from experience with multiple athletes who I coached at AAU and play(ed) in Europe that income earned from basketball abroad is reported and taxed in the US as well as abroad. However, US tax treaties give you credit for the taxes paid abroad so you avoid double taxation. It is really a wash, but you do pay taxes.

Come on people keep up!!!

Bringing up rumors that have already been shot down is not helping us sift through the mess! ;)

illini80

Forgottonia
Think we are conflating some timing issues here.

I don't believe Tate has said anything about Jordan in THIS podcast. It was a previous report where it was rumored AJ as trañsferring, presumably by Tate.

Rob Jordan shot those rumors down quickly and forcefully.

This. Tate was speculating that he might be one to transfer. He didn't predict it, but he did bring it up. Will be glad when the dust settles and we know where we stand. I'll be even happier if we get a couple more commits soon.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Has to be hard to transfer somewhere or be a desirable transfer off a knee surgery, no?

Meh, I read it as just factual on the part of Jeff Finke.

At the risk of being banned for redundancy (sorry Dan) have still not seen an answer to my question: how can Mchael Fnke gad transfer to another program! He is in grad school right now at Illinois. Therefore, unless he finishes his grad degree in one semester, plus summer maybe, how is it possible to transfer? Rules state you are transferring to a university graduate program which is NOT offered at your current school.

I suppose he could choose a different grad degree, but that seems unlikely, at least to me.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen for my answer :thumb:

The rule about transferring to a grad program not offered at your previous school seems to be interpreted very liberally. Mike LaTulip transferred to *Wright State*. What master's program would be offered there that wouldn't be at UI (or other large, comprehensive universities)?

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
Meh, I read it as just factual on the part of Jeff Finke.

At the risk of being banned for redundancy (sorry Dan) have still not seen an answer to my question: how can Mchael Fnke gad transfer to another program! He is in grad school right now at Illinois. Therefore, unless he finishes his grad degree in one semester, plus summer maybe, how is it possible to transfer? Rules state you are transferring to a university graduate program which is NOT offered at your current school.

I suppose he could choose a different grad degree, but that seems unlikely, at least to me.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen for my answer :thumb:

He could apply for a waiver. Apparently such things are available

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
Oh, huh. Now I wonder how much his knee was affecting his play.

Did this ever reach the public's ear during the season? Did I miss it?

If you missed it so did everyone else. Like JCL's stress fracture last year. Well kept secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.