2018 St. Louis Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
I was in section 116, row 4. Great seats and a great win! Man, watching that 8th inning live at the ballpark was stressful. Hicks was put through the ringer but survived.

We normally sit front row next to on field security guy. They are usually fun to talk to.

the national

the Front Range
Ouch!!! This got ugly, really really fast. Gant pitched a really good game but man, the bullpen let us down. I’m not a fan of Cecil. Hudson has a rough outing. Countless doubles.

This team if for real! Going 5-1 one the road against the Dodgers and red hot Rockies is a big statement. Watch out Cubbies.

Carpenter ties MLB record with 4 doubles in one game- What a stud

As a Cubs fan, I am genuinely curious: Have you fans noticed a stark difference in play since Matheny was fired?

I'll take my answer off the air. :)

As a Cubs fan, I am genuinely curious: Have you fans noticed a stark difference in play since Matheny was fired?

Indeed night and day difference On Air response.

The team does seem loser and there's been a bunch of quotes in the paper reflecting the more positive club house from players and coaches (Oquendo hated Matheny, and it comes through in his quotes post firing). But the clubhouse is always going to be fun when you basically never lose and increase your playoff odds from 5% to 60% in like 3 weeks.

The biggest change has been just letting the rookies play (and dropping the old guys who can't). Gant and Gomber have been good in the rotation, Bader is Billy Hamilton who can hit (and might be faster), O'Neil is at worst and 20 homer platoon guy and at best a miniature Aaron Judge, and there's a bunch of competent rookies in the bullpen.

The only tangible manager effect is probably bullpen usage, but it would have been impossible to not be better than Matheny in that regard. There's been a few weird things Shildt has done that made me question the move during the game, but he actually explains himself in the post game and has a strategy for everything. Matheny would just get angry and spout platitudes whenever the media would question some of his more boneheaded bullpen moves.

Another change that I think can actually be attributed to Shildt is the aggressive baserunning. It definitely helps to have a guy like Bader, but I've also noticed that Shildt has been doing a lot more hit-and-runs than Matheny, even with non-Bader speed on the basepath. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing defense and pitching staff. Far less station-to-station and hope to hit a homer than we were under Matheny.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
The team does seem loser and there's been a bunch of quotes in the paper reflecting the more positive club house from players and coaches (Oquendo hated Matheny, and it comes through in his quotes post firing). But the clubhouse is always going to be fun when you basically never lose and increase your playoff odds from 5% to 60% in like 3 weeks.

The biggest change has been just letting the rookies play (and dropping the old guys who can't). Gant and Gomber have been good in the rotation, Bader is Billy Hamilton who can hit (and might be faster), O'Neil is at worst and 20 homer platoon guy and at best a miniature Aaron Judge, and there's a bunch of competent rookies in the bullpen.

The only tangible manager effect is probably bullpen usage, but it would have been impossible to not be better than Matheny in that regard. There's been a few weird things Shildt has done that made me question the move during the game, but he actually explains himself in the post game and has a strategy for everything. Matheny would just get angry and spout platitudes whenever the media would question some of his more boneheaded bullpen moves.

Bottom line: Shildt knows what he's doing, Matheny didn't.

It's been talked about before, but most if not all of the younger guys have played for and been around Schildt in the minors. I think that is a big part of it. Schildt is confident in them and they are confident in Schildt. Bader had a quote that said something along the lines "We play like we're trying to steal your lunch money" and that is exactly what they do. There is an intensity and sense of urgency that I haven't seen in at least 4 years.

I don't think we'll ever truly know what the clubhouse was like under Matheny, but something wasn't right. Yes, there have been some grumblings here and there but most people in the organization respect Matheny enough and are professional enough to avoid throwing him under the bus. But you can tell this team loves playing for Schildt. It almost seems as if they are playing to earn him the manager job permanently.

Seems pretty simple to me, make the playoffs and the job is his.

IlliniFan85

Colorado Springs, CO
It's been talked about before, but most if not all of the younger guys have played for and been around Schildt in the minors. I think that is a big part of it. Schildt is confident in them and they are confident in Schildt. Bader had a quote that said something along the lines "We play like we're trying to steal your lunch money" and that is exactly what they do. There is an intensity and sense of urgency that I haven't seen in at least 4 years.

I don't think we'll ever truly know what the clubhouse was like under Matheny, but something wasn't right. Yes, there have been some grumblings here and there but most people in the organization respect Matheny enough and are professional enough to avoid throwing him under the bus. But you can tell this team loves playing for Schildt. It almost seems as if they are playing to earn him the manager job permanently.

Seems pretty simple to me, make the playoffs and the job is his.

Shildt

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
It’s his for 3 years anyway. I’m all for him to take over and get a few more titles.

Really? Prior to the season, I was all in on him. Now, with things going so well, is it a good idea? I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart.

If it happens, they'll get him for (likely) less than his remaining contract and somebody they were just going to kick off the 40 man roster this off season anyway, like Patrick Wisdom.

It's a very low risk/ very high reward move. Especially with Gyroko and Wong out, it would be dumb not to do it. He'd be taking at bats away from Yairo Munoz and Greg Garcia, not exactly a high bar.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
If it happens, they'll get him for (likely) less than his remaining contract and somebody they were just going to kick off the 40 man roster this off season anyway, like Patrick Wisdom.

It's a very low risk/ very high reward move. Especially with Gyroko and Wong out, it would be dumb not to do it. He'd be taking at bats away from Yairo Munoz and Greg Garcia, not exactly a high bar.
They would have to by today, for him to be eligible for the playoff roster, right?
Edit: Looked it up, he would have to be on the 40 man roster Sept 1.

the national

the Front Range
He has officially cleared waivers to open up the real possibility of a trade. From MLB rumors, the Cards have already reached out and seem to be a significant player in all of this. Grab your popcorn for this one....:popcorn:

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
He has officially cleared waivers to open up the real possibility of a trade. From MLB rumors, the Cards have already reached out and seem to be a significant player in all of this. Grab your popcorn for this one....:popcorn:

He worth A LOT more today than he will be on Sunday. I hope there is urgency, if it is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.