2018 St. Louis Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really sick of watching a team that everyone knew from spring training was not good enough. If they really want to make '19 different than '18 they will go out and get a right fielder (Mr Harper, your table is ready),and a third baseman (Can you say Rendon?). They they can line up with the chubs and the beermakers, and I believe would have better pitching top to bottom. However, if ownership is not willing to concede that Cecil is awful and eat the money, cur bait on several others, and spend money to make bold moves and improve both offensively and defensively there will be continued mediocrity.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I am really sick of watching a team that everyone knew from spring training was not good enough. If they really want to make '19 different than '18 they will go out and get a right fielder (Mr Harper, your table is ready),and a third baseman (Can you say Rendon?). They they can line up with the chubs and the beermakers, and I believe would have better pitching top to bottom. However, if ownership is not willing to concede that Cecil is awful and eat the money, cur bait on several others, and spend money to make bold moves and improve both offensively and defensively there will be continued mediocrity.
I really don't pay attention to very much baseball outside of the Cards (and their competitors), Rendon looks like a nice player. I assume he can play defense? Just saw the stats, in 2014 he was very good, this year, off a bit, but not terrible.

Well 88 wins gets you a wild card spot the last 2 years, which is what this team was projected for in Spring Training and obviously what they ended up at. Actually kind of impressive seeings as half the rotation was on the shelf most of the year and the bullpen was schizophrenic.

Obviously projecting for 90+ wins is better and the goal, but really the only obviously ways to do that this offseason is buy Machado/Harper/ Kershaw maybe/ Corbin. There's not a glaring hole on this team to fill, its basically just a bunch of 2-3 win guys at every position (which is why they win 85-90 games a year).

BillyBob1

Champaign
1538543289082.png

Waino will be back with Cardinals for another season

Conversations that started toward the end of the season reached agreement Thursday as the Cardinals finalized and announced a one-year deal with their veteran ace. Wainwright's salary will be heavily based on incentives, and the contract provides bonuses based on games started and game appearances, so whether he's a starter or reliever he can still maximize the value of the contract.
An incentive heavy deal was the only way to make this work.

the national

the Front Range
Waino will be back with Cardinals for another season

An incentive heavy deal was the only way to make this work.

This makes me happy. Very pleased they decided to bring him back. He brings a calm to the pitching staff. With them being so young, we could use a stabilizing character like waino. Plus, the way he pitched after his injury at the end of the season gave me hope he still has something left in the tank.

Reactions: wpr

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
OK, season has been over for almost a month (at least for the Redbirds). What do you think is the most likely scenario for 2019 Cardinals? My guess, they bid on, but do not win the Harper sweepstakes (and most Cards fans are fine with not paying $375M for 10 years with 2 potential player out years). After pursuing a trade for 3rd base, Cards come to an agreement with Donaldson for 3 years, $60-70M. Bullpen has a couple new quality arms added. Power left handed bat added to the bench. We hear several reports about how healthy Martinez, Ozuna, Fowler, Reyes, etc. are, and they are ready to take back the division. Outfield remains the same (but appears healthier), infield adds Donaldson, rotation stays the same, bullpen is beefed up, as is the bench. The team is actually a buyer at the trade deadline, getting someone to fill in for injured PTBNL. Most importantly, the young players get a year older, and get strong enough to finish the season. Team wins 92 games, wins wildcard game and loses in the division round. Optimism goes into 2020.

the national

the Front Range
OK, season has been over for almost a month (at least for the Redbirds). What do you think is the most likely scenario for 2019 Cardinals? My guess, they bid on, but do not win the Harper sweepstakes (and most Cards fans are fine with not paying $375M for 10 years with 2 potential player out years). After pursuing a trade for 3rd base, Cards come to an agreement with Donaldson for 3 years, $60-70M. Bullpen has a couple new quality arms added. Power left handed bat added to the bench. We hear several reports about how healthy Martinez, Ozuna, Fowler, Reyes, etc. are, and they are ready to take back the division. Outfield remains the same (but appears healthier), infield adds Donaldson, rotation stays the same, bullpen is beefed up, as is the bench. The team is actually a buyer at the trade deadline, getting someone to fill in for injured PTBNL. Most importantly, the young players get a year older, and get strong enough to finish the season. Team wins 92 games, wins wildcard game and loses in the division round. Optimism goes into 2020.
I like it.

I also think 3rd base and bullpen are the big issues for us. I personally don't want Harper. We already have a log-jam in the outfield. Plus, I like the character of the team last year. We were missing a few pieces. I would be afraid to add a guy like Harper who would drastically change the clubhouse.

orangeroses07

Centralia, IL
Count me in as somebody who would not be opposed to signing the league's most marketable star entering his prime.

Now, it's most likely not realistic but the DeWitt's need to do everything they can to convince Harper to come to St. Louis. You have to go down swinging.

Sticking with realistic scenarios:

Ideal: Signing Harper. They've talked for years about the money available, were perfectly willing to pay Stanton last year and Heyward & Price years before, now is the time to use it. Guys like Harper never become free agents at 25, never. Flyer shorter term deal on a starting pitcher, like bringing Lynn back or Charlie Morton. Just keep all the young Memphis arms in the bullpen, don't spend anymore money on it, it never works.

Still awesome: Donaldson 3 years for $75MM and throw the rest of the Harper money at a 5 year Corbin deal. Same bullpen plan, never spend on the bullpen.

Dumb but could see it happening: AJ Polluck for too much money and spending anything over ~$5MM/yr. on a bullpen pitcher contract.

Worst case: Being the team that pays Zach Britton $30MM over 3 years, signing Alcides Escobar

I want Harper very badly. The Cardinals will not get Harper. So I want Kimbrel then, but the Cardinals will also not get Kimbrel. The Cardinals might get Donaldson, but he also might be past his prime. So it will be pretty much the same Cardinals offseason that I've grown to expect.

I want Harper very badly. The Cardinals will not get Harper. So I want Kimbrel then, but the Cardinals will also not get Kimbrel. The Cardinals might get Donaldson, but he also might be past his prime. So it will be pretty much the same Cardinals offseason that I've grown to expect.

I honestly don't understand this sentiment.

Their money spends just as well as the next teams. Harper (and Boras) isn't going to take a discount to sign with any team, so highest dollar is going to win. The Cardinal as currently constructed + Harper makes the team just as good as the Cubs with a potentially wider competitive window than the Cubs, so it's not like he'd be choosing an noncompetitive team. The main competition (Chicago, NY, LA), have luxury tax considerations that won't allow them to just blow a Cardinal offer away. The Cardinals were a Stanton NTC away from having the largest contract in professional sports on the payroll. They've signed the largest contract of an offseason before (it was awhile ago, and it was Matt Holliday, but still, they've done it before).

Literally no reason to just conclude they won't get him.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
I would be very happy to get Harper. I don’t believe it is likely but, would make me happy.

What about Wisdom at 3rd base? I didn’t see that much of him but seemed like a competent fielder and good bat.

eMitch

Quincy, IL
What would it take to get Arenado? He's in the last year of his contract isn't he?

I honestly don't understand this sentiment.

Their money spends just as well as the next teams. Harper (and Boras) isn't going to take a discount to sign with any team, so highest dollar is going to win. The Cardinal as currently constructed + Harper makes the team just as good as the Cubs with a potentially wider competitive window than the Cubs, so it's not like he'd be choosing an noncompetitive team. The main competition (Chicago, NY, LA), have luxury tax considerations that won't allow them to just blow a Cardinal offer away. The Cardinals were a Stanton NTC away from having the largest contract in professional sports on the payroll. They've signed the largest contract of an offseason before (it was awhile ago, and it was Matt Holliday, but still, they've done it before).

Literally no reason to just conclude they won't get him.

The money is just part of the decision. Many players wouldn’t want to live in STL. Others would. And some don’t care. They also have to feel like they fit in well with their potential teammates and coaches.

What would it take to get Arenado? He's in the last year of his contract isn't he?

I love watching Arenado. I read that he will be almost as expensive as Harper so I guess I'd make a run at Harper and then pivot to a trade for Arenado.

That leaves Carp at first and Ozuna, Bader and one other in an overcrowded outfield.

I'd give up Carlos if that's what it takes. His mechanics have never suited me and it sounds like his work ethic got questioned this season.

Why would Colorado trade Arenado? They’ve made the playoffs the last two years and have every expectation of being in the hunt next year, too.

Unless they get some absurd package for him, they’re going to happily keep him this off season. If they fall out of the hunt by mid season they’ll trade him at the deadline. Otherwise they’ll give him a QO and take the compensatory draft pick if he signs somewhere else after 2019.

The money is just part of the decision. Many players wouldn’t want to live in STL. Others would. And some don’t care. They also have to feel like they fit in well with their potential teammates and coaches.

They always say this stuff after the fact, but the overwhelming evidence is that players aren't going to leave money on the table no matter where it is. He's not going to accept $20MM less just to play in Chicago or NY, the highest bid is going to win.

Plus, he's mormon and the second coming is prophetically told to happen only 3 hours West of St. Louis, so he's going to sign with St Louis or Kansas City, most likely :cool:

the national

the Front Range
They always say this stuff after the fact, but the overwhelming evidence is that players aren't going to leave money on the table no matter where it is. He's not going to accept $20MM less just to play in Chicago or NY, the highest bid is going to win.

Plus, he's mormon and the second coming is prophetically told to happen only 3 hours West of St. Louis, so he's going to sign with St Louis or Kansas City, most likely :cool:
Harper is Mormon? I had no idea.

orangeroses07

Centralia, IL
Jeff Albert has been hired as hitting coach. He came over from the Astros as he's been their assistant hitting coach over the last few years. Stubby Clapp promoted to First Base Coach as well. Let the offseason begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.