2018 White Sox

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
So, the Sox have come back to take a 5-4 lead on 3 home runs in the 4th after that horrendous start...

Bailey

Los Angeles
giphy.gif

hey this is kinda fun

ILL in IA

Iowa City
It was 1 game. And it was opening day. Home runs aside, I love the energy this team has. I can't think of a Sox team, that has had this much speed. Favorite play from yesterday was Tim flying around the bases and scoring from first on a single!

Bailey

Los Angeles
Moncada is probably faster, but something about Tim's easy stride is incredible to watch

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I loved that play as well. At first, I wondered how he can score from first on a single up the middle, not a gapper or similar. However, the replay was awesome. It was a 3-2, 2 out situation so Anderson took off on the pitch, but the replay showed him beating the hit to second base, so it was essentially as if he WAS on 2nd. Great base running.

The broadcast mentioned the emphasis on smart base running, always being ready to take the extra base. Good fundamentals being preached by Renteria and staff , love it.

Yep. And was it Engel that busted it out of the box and the hit to left? Turned a single into a double as Jay slipped on the wet grass. If you're not thinking 2 out of the box, that doesn't happen. Ricky has done a great job with this young team.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Lil bummed that the postponed game in KC meant Shields takes the bump at home for the opener. Really wanted Giolito to get the ball today.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Lil bummed that the postponed game in KC meant Shields takes the bump at home for the opener. Really wanted Giolito to get the ball today.

"Lil bummed" is the perfect way to describe me every time James Shields makes a start.

A few pointless thoughts so far given the sample size:

Tim Anderson is getting better (in the sox half of the inning)
Avi is swinging at a lot of garbage outside the zone
Did somebody hypnotize Jose and tell him it was June?
Rey's stuff looks unreal, and his stuff was already really good last year.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Mostly agree, but Shield did settle down after the horrendous start.

Wasn't Lucas a bit shaky? Missed the beginning

Agree on both. But I want Giolito to get the start as a tip of the cap to the fans on whats going on.

Here is a taste of what is to come, and something to be excited about on the home opener. People are going to come in all excited, get excited for announcing the team, and then shields takes the mound and the air has left the building.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Agree on both. But I want Giolito to get the start as a tip of the cap to the fans on whats going on.

Here is a taste of what is to come, and something to be excited about on the home opener. People are going to come in all excited, get excited for announcing the team, and then shields takes the mound and the air has left the building.

They will get to stay at the park ~5 hours though. That's a bonus.

Did I mention I loathe James Shields?

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Both Hawk and Benetti calling today?

I'm way over Hawk and enjoy Benetti. Just going to put that on the record.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Well if anyone still questioned if we have a lot of work to do with our closers, yesterday should answer that question for you.

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
Kids are mashing. So excited for the future.

That's especially true on offense, where the Sox currently have the youngest lineup in the American League, averaging 26.9 years old.

They also have the most powerful offense in baseball, at least so far. While pretty much every early-April article has to be loaded with reasonable caveats about small sample size and not projecting it out for the entire season ahead, that doesn't mean you can't at least take a look at what's happened. What's happened, so far, is a ton of crushed baseballs -- in ways we've rarely seen over the last few years.

It's been so overwhelming that really, the best way to do this is to simply list all the things the White Sox rank well in on offense. Get a coffee. There's a lot.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-outslugging-all-of-mlb-to-start-2018/c-271066632

Bailey

Los Angeles
4 walks in the 4th and 5th today for Rey (so far). The stuff is good obviously, but still not convinced he can stick as a starter...

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
The Sox are playing today, while the Cubs couldn't get the field in shape in time.

Props to The Sodfather

I guessing that, if the Sox had an off-day tomorrow built into the schedule like the Cubs, they wouldn't be playing today either.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
It's not a massive group on the sox thread, but I appreciate that everyone on here understands what the Sox are doing. Not fun to watch a team fall apart because of a bad pen or young mistakes. That said, I try to follow Sox news in other places, and man do a lot of "fans" !!!!! and complain because they just don't get the rebuild plan.

It's not a massive group on the sox thread, but I appreciate that everyone on here understands what the Sox are doing. Not fun to watch a team fall apart because of a bad pen or young mistakes. That said, I try to follow Sox news in other places, and man do a lot of "fans" !!!!! and complain because they just don't get the rebuild plan.

I'm not a Sox fan, but it's not so much the nature of the plan as the fact that, thusfar, it has been executed really, really well. Rick Hahn has gotten tremendous value for the assets that were left on an already-bad Sox team, and has put them in a position to be competitive very soon.

It's when you turn into the Pirates or A's and keep the cycle churning of always selling off the valuable pieces you got for selling off your previous valuable pieces that it turns into a sham.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I'm not a Sox fan, but it's not so much the nature of the plan as the fact that, thusfar, it has been executed really, really well. Rick Hahn has gotten tremendous value for the assets that were left on an already-bad Sox team, and has put them in a position to be competitive very soon.

It's when you turn into the Pirates or A's and keep the cycle churning of always selling off the valuable pieces you got for selling off your previous valuable pieces that it turns into a sham.

After Monday and Tuesday attendance numbers, we have room for you to jump on board. You can say you were a fan before it was cool.