2018 White Sox

Bailey

Los Angeles
My forgotten, downtrodden, White Sox brethren. We move one year closer to the national media being unable to dismiss the fact that Chicago has two baseball teams.

But for now, James Shields is our opening day starter, so we need to be there for each other. Emotionally.

Welcome to the 2018 White Sox thread. It's all up from here. Let's kick it off with some predictions.

Bailey

Los Angeles
72es03.png

Bad start!

I don't get that. If the offers were equal, I don't know why Moustakas would go to the Sox over the Yankees. And if the offers aren't equal, I don't know why the Sox would be outbidding the Yankees.

He's 29. He's been really good these last three years when he's been healthy enough to play.

The White Sox will have a new flagship radio home this season as well. It was announced within the past couple weeks that they would be moving to 720 AM WGN. They were most recently on WLS-AM in Chicago which had to drop the broadcast rights due to a bankruptcy court ruling involving WLS' parent company Cumulus Media.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
My thoughts on Moustakas. They think they can get him at a bargain that would be team friendly, or they think they can drive up the market, and have some impact on future free agent spending from other teams. Staying under the luxury tax has been on the radar of a lot of teams, could have future implications on the free agent class the next few years. Either way, Hahn has my complete trust in what he has done with the rebuild so far.

Bailey

Los Angeles
My thoughts on Moustakas. They think they can get him at a bargain that would be team friendly, or they think they can drive up the market, and have some impact on future free agent spending from other teams. Staying under the luxury tax has been on the radar of a lot of teams, could have future implications on the free agent class the next few years. Either way, Hahn has my complete trust in what he has done with the rebuild so far.

If there's one place we've fallen flat under Hahn, and for as long as I can remember, it's scouting at the major league level. I get that they can grab him cheap and ostensibly shore up a position of need, but I'm not sure I trust the FO in terms of player evaluation. See: James Shields.

That’s Shields trade... ugh.

Shields goes in the tank immediately after coming over and 18 months later Tatis is now a consensus top 10 prospect in all of baseball.

It’s always possible that a mid-thirties starting pitcher can see his production fall off a cliff. It’s always possible that a 17 year old prospect can blossom into something special. But to have both happen in the same transaction is really rough.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Anybody so desperate for White Sox baseball that they're watching right now?

Timmy teeing off on a hanger improved my hangover by ~5%.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
That’s Shields trade... ugh.

Shields goes in the tank immediately after coming over and 18 months later Tatis is now a consensus top 10 prospect in all of baseball.

It’s always possible that a mid-thirties starting pitcher can see his production fall off a cliff. It’s always possible that a 17 year old prospect can blossom into something special. But to have both happen in the same transaction is really rough.

I still want to see what Tatis does this year. Looks really bad for the Sox right now though.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Burger carted off :(

EDIT: just reported it was his achilles. I'll be walking around in traffic if you need me.

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
We're going to be bad again in 2018, but I'm hoping Gio turns into a must-see pitcher. Great link!

Hey, Kevin Millar picked the Sox to win it all during the MLB TV season preview, so maybe the kids will surprise some folks. :thumb:

Bailey

Los Angeles
Happy Opening Day! Ya'll excited to watch James Shields labor through 5 1/3?

Here on D-Day, I find myself looking most forward to all things related to Moncada. It's now or never.

I had a friend text me this morning and ask what White Sox jersey he should pull the trigger on. I said 35, 56, and 14 are the safest and best purchases, but Moncada if he really wanted a current player. I also reminded him that our good mutual friend is the proud owner of Gordon Beckham jersey, and he should weigh this fact heavily in his decision.

Here on D-Day, I find myself looking most forward to all things related to Moncada. It's now or never.

I had a friend text me this morning and ask what White Sox jersey he should pull the trigger on. I said 35, 56, and 14 are the safest and best purchases, but Moncada if he really wanted a current player. I also reminded him that our good mutual friend is the proud owner of Gordon Beckham jersey, and he should weigh this fact heavily in his decision.

I still wear my road 35 from HS. Thankfully, I was smart and bought it a little bit big.

If your friend buys a Moncada, and he has a similar career to Beckham, I think you need to stop calling him a friend.

I'm a bit more intrigued this season compared to last season. I want to see Moncada and Anderson man the middle of the IF. I want to see some of the young arms, and hopefully a couple other young prospects progress. I'm not too excited about watching Shields every 5th day, but there is plenty to be interested in.

ILL in IA

Iowa City

Its good to have baseball back. Hope we can see a competitive team with the young guys showing they can live up to the hype, and develop this year.

As far as the Jerseys go, a lot of good throwback options if they want to go that way. 35, 56 and 14 are great, but solid choices in 8, 45, 72, 13...

I have 14 on my back at work today.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Woof on that 1st inning for Shields. Quality start to the season.