2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
what do we have to lose?

Lots more football games.

I disagree with the idea that we ought to take some crazy risk because screw it, there are no expectations here.

Getting laughed off the field by the likes of Minnesota and Purdue is never where this program was before, and if we get the trains running on time at all, it won't be where this program is in the future.

To borrow a phrase, we just gotta keep rowing the boat. Next man up.

Lovie has been an utter disaster; it sadly took us almost four seasons before it became painfully obvious. Josh Whitman now needs to skillfully "manage" the problem before more damage is inflicted on the program. Due to the bizarre situation with Lovie being the Defensive Coordinator,, and his completely unqualified son being the linebacker coach, and Lovie not having anyone else on his staff who is capable of being an Interim Head Coach, Josh needs to get creative. This season cannot draw to a close with Lovie still at the helm. Might it be possible to find an old/retired college coach, with no aspirations to jump back in full-time, to server as head coach for the last few games? It's not about the wins and losses at this point; it's about trying to not completely destroy the morale of the players who will be returning next year. It's about a sense of hope for the future.

Deleted member 716187

D
Lots more football games.

I disagree with the idea that we ought to take some crazy risk because screw it, there are no expectations here.

Getting laughed off the field by the likes of Minnesota and Purdue is never where this program was before, and if we get the trains running on time at all, it won't be where this program is in the future.

To borrow a phrase, we just gotta keep rowing the boat. Next man up.

I think a guy like Sunkett could be a breath of fresh air we need, We need a culture change, we need kids who will buy in and play with some pride and passion. I dont think some outsider with a little success from conference USA or something will be the guy to change the culture.

Seems like a classic DC Guy to me. Mustache, great accent, play sheet stuck down his pants, etc.

In fairness, his 1-AA head coaching experience a while back did go pretty well. UMass has sucked since they lost him.

The concern I have is that the new fashion seems to be hiring a coach in this age bracket as more an executive type with most of the hands on responsibility geared towards the coordinators and assistants. I’m not saying that’s necessary for someone in their 60s but i do know Brown doesn’t fit that mold.

He got deep into the interview process at Temple. At the very least, he should be interested in the job. That’s half the battle.

I think a guy like Sunkett could be a breath of fresh air we need, We need a culture change, we need kids who will buy in and play with some pride and passion. I dont think some outsider with a little success from conference USA or something will be the guy to change the culture.

So instead you want an outsider with a little success from high school? Contrary to the evidence on the field, we’re still a Division 1 Power Five football team. You do not hire a high school coach as a head coach or even coordinator, period. They get hired as position coaches or non recruiting positions and have to prove themselves. Any AD that hires a high school coach to a P5 head coaching position should be fired immediately. No high school coach will succeed in that role as head coach because the expectations are so different. You will kill all interest in the program from donors and alumni, because the majority of them won’t know who the hell you just hired. You turn the university into a laughing stock in the conference and you kill recruiting. You may as well just drop down to DIII if you’re going to do something like that.

So instead you want an outsider with a little success from high school? Contrary to the evidence on the field, we’re still a Division 1 Power Five football team. You do not hire a high school coach as a head coach or even coordinator, period. They get hired as position coaches or non recruiting positions and have to prove themselves. Any AD that hires a high school coach to a P5 head coaching position should be fired immediately. No high school coach will succeed in that role as head coach because the expectations are so different. You will kill all interest in the program from donors and alumni, because the majority of them won’t know who the hell you just hired. You turn the university into a laughing stock in the conference and you kill recruiting. You may as well just drop down to DIII if you’re going to do something like that.

Gus Malzahn

Someone talk me out of putting Seth Littrell at the top of my list.

Not only did he go to 3 bowl games his first three years at UNT, he got them to their first 9 win season in 40 years, then did it 2 years in a row.

2nd biggest turnaround in FBS his first year

Improved offensive out put 9.5 points/game first year

Improved points per game by 10 pts 2nd year

My favorite fun fact: was voted (by fellow coaches) to be "last guy to be standing" in a brawl in an informal Athletic poll
Anyone know Littrell’s OC?? Bodie Reeder out of Mahomet. Kind of cool.

#JustSayNO!ToTheTripleO"
Just curious about where those in the JSNTTTO camp are coming from. Is it purely an aesthetic repugnance, or is it that in your view there is no possibility of Jeff Monken going 6-6, 8-4, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6, 9-3...

Because, like, if we did that while "winning ugly" or whatever, it would go Grange, Butkus, then Monken outside MS, right?

Lovie has been an utter disaster; it sadly took us almost four seasons before it became painfully obvious. Josh Whitman now needs to skillfully "manage" the problem before more damage is inflicted on the program. Due to the bizarre situation with Lovie being the Defensive Coordinator,, and his completely unqualified son being the linebacker coach, and Lovie not having anyone else on his staff who is capable of being an Interim Head Coach, Josh needs to get creative. This season cannot draw to a close with Lovie still at the helm. Might it be possible to find an old/retired college coach, with no aspirations to jump back in full-time, to server as head coach for the last few games? It's not about the wins and losses at this point; it's about trying to not completely destroy the morale of the players who will be returning next year. It's about a sense of hope for the future.

After sleeping on things this is 100% my perspective. Ideally Whitman would have a Monday morning announcement set. With Lovie and Miles dual roles many practical challenges, but Whitman could earn his take pulling off something manageable here

We need leadership from Whitman to show things will change. Lovie can not show this anymore. If we can keep a small glimmer of excitement with a midseason shakeup overlay with the messaging of the recent facilities investments I think you can salvage some morale. This could be a bridge to what will inevitably be a huge hiring decision that you need to make the second the next guy is ready to announce. To me this is a much better bridge then the slow blood letting of 2 months of uninspired football, Lovie as a dead man walking spouting cliches, locker room culture dropping, etc etc

Deleted member 651864

D
We have fumbled around with experienced coaches, coaching experiments, etc over the past 10-15 years. These experiments have to stop. I know people on this board aren't that fond of Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern, but he has made that team competitive, gotten them to bowls, they never get blown out in games, etc. He is an alumni, and helped to keep Northwestern moving in the right direction, and he has won a lot of games. We need to ONLY look at alumni to lead this back into normalcy. Someone that cares, and won't just go through the motions for a 4 million salary. I don't even think that much coaching experience is that important. Look at PJ Fleck yesterday on the sideline, getting mad at players, and coaching with emotion. We need that emotion back. Players respond to passion and emotion. How about Dayna Howard, J Leman, Kurt Kittner, and Simeon Rice as joint coaches the remainder of the season?

Guys, for as frustrating as things are, the program is not some smoldering crater. Some guy who has never coached a CFB game before will absolutely underachieve with a roster that actually should be competitive next year.

I think conversely a retread with unimaginative schemes will also waste what talent we have recruited. It goes both ways.

I vehemently disagree on the alumni thing. We tried that with the AD. We ended up with the Lovie mess as a result. Basketball has also been terrible though it could turn this year. I’m not holding my breath there though.

Hiring an unproven commodity with no experience at the level you are at isn’t a good recipe. Unless you are trying to cook a disaster.

If Lovie is not gone before 2020, JW needs to go.
Not sure what the answer is, but it is NOT Lovie!
Go Illini!

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I think conversely a retread with unimaginative schemes will also waste what talent we have recruited. It goes both ways.

Sort of. Our problem is far less the creativity of our schemes than it is the complete inability of the coaches to carry those schemes out, get players to improve, reduce penalties, manage the clock, improvise to our benefit, etc.

Deleted member 569417

D
We need to ONLY look at alumni to lead this back into normalcy. Someone that cares, and won't just go through the motions for a 4 million salary. I don't even think that much coaching experience is that important.
Good idea. Hiring alumni has worked out wonderfully at the AD position, let’s take that same winning tactic and apply it to head coach as well.

Gus Malzahn

Not sure what the point of this post is, as it proves Ethan’s point,

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
We need to ONLY look at alumni to lead this back into normalcy

Office-Space-1999-4.jpg

When we have people suggesting Darren Sunkett and John Holocek as legitimate possibilities for the head coaching job at IL we truly know the silly season is upon us.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest that Nick Saban could be ready for a new challenge. That will complete the circle.

It is a little odd to see someone so adamant about hiring an alumni regardless of their qualifications (That person’s words) heap praise upon PJ Fleck and the work he’s doing at the University of Minnesota. PJ Fleck did not attend the University of Minnesota, so...

The whole rah-rah thing always gets me to chuckle. The lies people tell themselves for the purpose of perception will forever baffle me.

Status
Not open for further replies.