2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new football building, 60k seat B1G stadium, low expectations (any Bowl will do now), and reason to believe money to spend. It has to be enticing.

Forget a bowl game, forget even wins and losses. I just want to give up less than like 500 yards a game to the opponent.

Deleted member 29907

D
These people would rather lose in a manner they enjoy then win a manner in which they do not.

Crazy times.
There was one sarcastic comment about 'rather lose than go TO' that i saw - so nice try. There is no guarantee with either approach (what's crazy is arguing TO is an automatic success here). We all want the same thing - to win ultimately. The difference in opinion is what people want to watch on offense - so your argument, while fitting your narrative - is a false one.
Why?? It’s better than anything we have now
Ha, so is closing down the program, but I'd prefer not to do that either. Just my opinion of course and no one can say for sure either way - but it feels like a 5-6 win per season strategy. Better than what we have now IF we could get 5 or 6 wins. My desire is to work towards 8+ per season AND with an offense that doesn't put me to sleep, that's all. There were alot of people arguing Lovie would get us there - so I guess the point is - for those thinking the TO is a guarantee - look at recent history.

What I don't get is why we think we're so much smarter than 99% of the other programs who are not scooping up this approach.

We expect 4/5 star kids to enroll. We should expect a 5-star coaching staff too. Then we MUST have a clause in there that if the staff underperforms then we do .....
..Who's expecting 5 star kids to enroll here?

And a 5-star coach is gonna have to want to come here first.

There was one sarcastic comment about 'rather lose than go TO' that i saw - so nice try. There is no guarantee with either approach (what's crazy is arguing TO is an automatic success here). We all want the same thing - to win ultimately. The difference in opinion is what people want to watch on offense - so your argument, while fitting your narrative - is a false one.

I’ve yet to see anyone state that this offensive philosophy will produce automatic success. On the contrary, I have seen multiple people suggest (Yourself most especially) that this offense will produce mediocrity or outright failure. When evidence is presented that contradicts this theory, these facts are essentially ignored and the one false narrative that actually IS being perpetrated here continues.

I don’t really care for the offense myself but I’m willing to keep an open mind. You and many others are not. That’s the difference between a person who ultimately only cares about winning and people who only care to win in the way that is most aesthetically pleasing to them.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ing-head-coach-of-rutgers-football/ar-AAIfyev

Basically just replace Rutgers with Illinois.
He has been successful, his next HC job will be extremely important to him, he has plenty of ties and experienced enough to build a talented staff.
Even with Gritty's information about retreads, I still think he can get us back to AT LEAST middle of the pack. Then we can go from there.
And he can take over RIGHT FREEKING NOW. He is just an analyst for Alabama currently.

Here's my case against Butch Jones

This is just one of many. He always reacted to criticism like this.

And the more it was revealed publicly what a thin-skinned putz he was, the worse Tennessee recruited. And they never looked like a well-drilled fundamentally sound football team, even in the best of times.

If I had to pick from the retread bin, I'd go with Todd Graham.

Deleted member 654622

D
Why?? It’s better than anything we have now
Does everyone forget what this offense did with a running QB last year? I would take AJ Bush running this offense over the triple option any day of the week

Deleted member 654622

D
Here's my case against Butch Jones

This is just one of many. He always reacted to criticism like this.

And the more it was revealed publicly what a thin-skinned putz he was, the worse Tennessee recruited. And they never looked like a well-drilled fundamentally sound football team, even in the best of times.

If I had to pick from the retread bin, I'd go with Todd Graham.

I personally don't care if the HC likes or dislikes the media. He was successful at the lower programs, got a shot at the SEC, failed. Now is under Nick Sabin. Does he have the ability to recruit and coach us to the middle of the pack?
I'll take dudes yelling at the media all day. And if he is getting upset at the media, well we know he cares at least
BTW I know those are not the same thing, it is just what I auto think of when someone talks about HCs and the media. I love it

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Does everyone forget what this offense did with a running QB last year? I would take AJ Bush running this offense over the triple option any day of the week

Per SP+ our offense was ranked 70th in the country last year. Georgia Tech was 40th.

LOL, tell me you haven’t said that...

I guess I don't know what "automatic success" means, but I definitely believe it's very possible we'd have a successful offense next year running triple option with IW behind center.

Deleted member 654622

D
Per SP+ our offense was ranked 70th in the country last year. Georgia Tech was 40th.

I guess I don't know what "automatic success" means, but I definitely believe it's very possible we'd have a successful offense next year running triple option with IW behind center.
You'll have to educate me on the SP. Is that way better? Apparently 40th isn't good enough for GT since they canned the triple option correct?
My view point was we ran the ball, successfully, with an inept throwing QB. No reason to think with a better QB and these WRs we cant take that to another level.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I think it's safe to say that if/when Whitman makes the change he is likely going to surprise everyone. It's pretty impressive how quietly he finds coaches.

Whoever it will be will be given tools better than Lovie had initially, but he's going have a tall task convincing fans that the should care about football.
I want a guy with a good scheme, who is hungry, and doesn't talk about lasagna.

That’s a viable opinion. I probably wouldn’t state is a matter of fact, however. Assuming you did.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Does he have the ability to recruit and coach us to the middle of the pack?

My suggestion is that he very well might not. His later recruiting classes were nowhere near as good as his initial ones. He petered out on the recruiting trail in a way Ron Zook didn't. He also made aggressive use of oversigning loopholes that aren't there for Illinois in 2019.

I'll live if Butch Jones is our next coach. Whatever. But there's more downside risk with retreads than people realize, and I think the downside risk with Jones is pretty darned obvious.

I want a guy...who is hungry, and doesn't talk about lasagna.

You're looking for more of a Mexican food fan then?

That’s a viable opinion. I probably wouldn’t state is a matter of fact, however. Assuming you did.

Oh, no. There are no guarantees, failure is a possibility down any path we take.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
You'll have to educate me on the SP. Is that way better?

It's an advanced stat that utilizes both yards per play and drive success to take a more sophisticated look at how well teams perform beyond raw yardage totals which don't account for tempo or garbage time or things like that.

We were way, way better on offense last year than the mess Garrick McGee made the year before, but in the grand scheme of things we still weren't all that good. Triple option offenses have been, elite even, in the recent past.

I don't get the hatin' on JW. Yes, Lovie hasn't gotten us to a bowl, but the FB program has improved overall since JW took over, has it not? The BB program has improved overall as well IMO.

It can take some time when you're trying to unbury *two* money-making programs.

These people would rather lose in a manner they enjoy then win a manner in which they do not.

Crazy times.

No guarantees that Illini would win with triple option or that they wouldn’t win hiring a coach with some other type of offense. Just because some people are convinced Monken is a slam dunk gonna take the Illini to the promised land Coach doesn’t make it so

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I don't get the hatin' on JW. Yes, Lovie hasn't gotten us to a bowl, but the FB program has improved overall since JW took over, has it not? The BB program has improved overall as well IMO.

It can take some time when you're trying to unbury *two* money-making programs.

Whitman's hires in football and basketball are 4-25 and 11-27, respectively, in Big Ten play. Both programs are markedly worse as a matter of fact.

The case for Whitman is that he's brought peace and stability among both the donor and administration powers that be atop the DIA (the real day-to-day job of an AD) and that in a vacuum both of those hires were solid results of solid processes. There's every reason to believe he's as likely to make a sound next move as anybody else would be.

When you consider the time frame Josh Whitman found and closed on Lovie Smith, a significantly bigger fish than we would normally attract in MARCH, I trust him with the next coaching hire.

No guarantees that Illini would win with triple option or that they wouldn’t win hiring a coach with some other type of offense. Just because some people are convinced Monken is a slam dunk gonna take the Illini to the promised land Coach doesn’t make it so

Agreed. HOWEVER, that is not the assertion here and if you’re a logical fan, you recognize that this thought process needs to go both ways. Just because some people don’t believe this offense is conducive to success doesn’t make IT so either.

The key is to keep an open mind and listen to reason. If you cannot do that you’re not a logical fan, you’re a fan with a bias and that’s not gonna get us anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.