2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Rock, Arkansas
So, even had we marched down the field and won that game, we couldn’t have been okay with that defense right? 700 yards means things are not fixed.

700 yards means we will get 60 balled by somebody. 700 yards means the college game has passed Lovie by and we need a replacement.
 
At least now we gave the answer to whether Lovie's coaching would work at this level. Unfortunately, it's not the answer we had hoped
 
Lawyers of IL, any chance the taxpayers of Illinois can go after Whitman, Lovie, and Miles for what is clearly a case of nepotism involving the transfer of funds from taxpayers to an incompetent coach and his unqualified son? Any chance of this? At least voiding his remaining guaranteed salary? Lovie has a history of this. He hired his older son at TB, and to this day it doesn't appear that he found another job in football.
 
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless
What kind of defense do Jeff Monken's teams play?
 
What kind of defense do Jeff Monken's teams play?
Great question.

Before you get too deep into what Army does schematically, you need to know that Jay Bateman was the coordinator there last year when that defense was among the best and most aggressive units in the country. He’s out now and not a candidate to follow Jeff Monken anywhere.
 
Dallas-Fort Worth
Lawyers of IL, any chance the taxpayers of Illinois can go after Whitman, Lovie, and Miles for what is clearly a case of nepotism involving the transfer of funds from taxpayers to an incompetent coach and his unqualified son? Any chance of this? At least voiding his remaining guaranteed salary? Lovie has a history of this. He hired his older son at TB, and to this day it doesn't appear that he found another job in football.
Whitman and all coaches are not paid with taxpayer funds. The athletic department has its own budget that is funded by B10 Network monies, bowl splits, (probably dwindling) IFund contributions, and (definitely dwindling) ticket sales
 
Austin
Question: Say Lovie is fired, and whoever comes in keeps Cory Patterson in the fold.

Could we keep most/all of trinity guys?

Who would we expect to transfer out?

I ask this, because many of our guys who play big minutes will be seniors next year, but played as true freshman and have a redshirt year to use. But they could also just play out their last year and take their chances at the league. That is beneficial to us because we’d have seniors playing. It could also make the new coach look good if we make a bowl.

Obviously the picture becomes a lot clearer after spring ball, but who is most likely to bail once Lovie is gone?
 
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Virginia
Question: Say Lovie is fired, and whoever comes in keeps Cory Patterson in the fold.

Could we keep most/all of trinity guys?

Who would we expect to transfer out?

I ask this, because many of our guys who play big minutes will be seniors next year, but played as true freshman and have a redshirt year to use. But they could also just play out their last year and take their chances at the league. That is beneficial to us because we’d have seniors playing. It could also make the new coach look good if we make a bowl.

Obviously the picture becomes a lot clearer after spring ball, but who is most likely to bail once Lovie is gone?
Not with a triple option offense...
 
Not to get all gritty here but let’s not act like IW isn’t made for that.
I have been vocal against the triple option and will remain so. But who is to say Coran wouldn't be the best triple option QB on this team? You wouldn't be throwing the football much at all, and Coran has the body to take the beating, IW does not currently.
 
Question: Say Lovie is fired, and whoever comes in keeps Cory Patterson in the fold.

Could we keep most/all of trinity guys?

Who would we expect to transfer out?

I ask this, because many of our guys who play big minutes will be seniors next year, but played as true freshman and have a redshirt year to use. But they could also just play out their last year and take their chances at the league. That is beneficial to us because we’d have seniors playing. It could also make the new coach look good if we make a bowl.

Obviously the picture becomes a lot clearer after spring ball, but who is most likely to bail once Lovie is gone?
Honestly its going to depend more on who we bring in isn't it? If that guy motivated the roster, they would stay regardless. And no matter how much we all like some of the new cats on the team, none of them are more important than a highly competent coach in the long run. So it would suck, but necessary evil we would have to endure
 
Austin
I have been vocal against the triple option and will remain so. But who is to say Coran wouldn't be the best triple option QB on this team? You wouldn't be throwing the football much at all, and Coran has the body to take the beating, IW does not currently.
True. IW’s quickness also lends itself to not taking a beating. He could probably move himself enough to not take straight shots.
 
Likes: Dude
If tomorrow is like the Iowa game last year...

Does Whitman can Lovie during the bye week and make Rod the interim? Or is that even possible given the fact that there is no clear DC to take over in this scenario?
I mean...Rod has been awful too. Not sure that doesn't anything at all but disrupt the entire program. You're better off just riding it out this year.
 
Chicago,IL
As someone pointed out, Lovie seemed dejected at the presser. My question is how the players are going to react to all of this. I feel like Corbin is visibly (and understandably) frustrated. I do think these kids are playing their butts off, but at what point does the team give up on this staff and stop putting their bodies on the line for this mess? We've seen our fair share of football and basketball teams seemingly give up towards the end of coaching tenures.

Man, the prospect of another coaching search, tear down, decommits, transfers, and 2-3 years of "acceptable" losses in preparation for a "big year 4"--I just don't know that I have it in me the older I get (and I graduated in '08!). I feel like the last fool still clinging to hope--getting mad at my wife (also an alum) when she talks about how this team sucks (not based on watching or following closely, but just a casual fan observing) --"no, no, no. you don't understand, Lovie tore it down to the studs and this is the year..." :rolleyes:
 
Yeah, I'd be shocked if Whitman fired Lovie before the end of the season. It's pretty clear that he has a ton of respect for Lovie. If he decides that he must fire him, I'm sure he'll do it in the most respectful way he possibly can. And I think that would be shortly after the last regular-season game (no, a bowl is not realistic at this point).
 
Little Rock, Arkansas
If Lovie fails here, I’m calling it that he will “retire” after a private conversation with Whitman about mutually parting ways to save face.

We will all know what’s up, but I just don’t know if Illinois/Whitman wants to be known for actually “firing” Lovie Smith.

We will see...
 
Forgottonia
If Lovie fails here, I’m calling it that he will “retire” after a private conversation with Whitman about mutually parting ways to save face.

We will all know what’s up, but I just don’t know if Illinois/Whitman wants to be known for actually “firing” Lovie Smith.

We will see...
Does he get the buy out if he retires? Unless he does, I can’t see Lovie taking that deal.
 
Not with a triple option offense...
I fully understand the criticism of this offensive philosophy but in the context of this argument, it is overblown.

The only St Louis area kids that are either signed and on the current roster or committed for the 2020 cycle that this would negatively impact are Isaiah (Possibly) and James Frenchie. Shammond Cooper, Kevin Tyler, Reggie Love, Moses Okpala and Josh Plohr would be completely unaffected. If anything Reggie Love, theoretically, should be thrilled. He’s guaranteed the see the ball more than 20 times a game...every game.
 
As someone pointed out, Lovie seemed dejected at the presser. My question is how the players are going to react to all of this. I feel like Corbin is visibly (and understandably) frustrated. I do think these kids are playing their butts off, but at what point does the team give up on this staff and stop putting their bodies on the line for this mess? We've seen our fair share of football and basketball teams seemingly give up towards the end of coaching tenures.

Man, the prospect of another coaching search, tear down, decommits, transfers, and 2-3 years of "acceptable" losses in preparation for a "big year 4"--I just don't know that I have it in me the older I get (and I graduated in '08!). I feel like the last fool still clinging to hope--getting mad at my wife (also an alum) when she talks about how this team sucks (not based on watching or following closely, but just a casual fan observing) --"no, no, no. you don't understand, Lovie tore it down to the studs and this is the year..." :rolleyes:
This is purely my personal opinion but I believe this is the conundrum Josh has on his hands. If Lovie sits down and makes a convincing argument that this roster, with another year of offseason work and the addition of Luke Ford and Marquez Beason, can finally be the team for which the “this is the year” moniker rings true, does he buy that explanation enough to do just that..,give it one more year? I don’t think it’s out of the question that he would.

Please note, I’m not suggesting this is what Josh SHOULD do. I’m merely talking through the scenarios of what I believe he COULD do. Don’t come beat me up for saying Lovie should be safe. That’s not the conversation.
 
Forgottonia
This is purely my personal opinion but I believe this is the conundrum Josh has on his hands. If Lovie sits down and makes a convincing argument that this roster, with another year of offseason work and the addition of Luke Ford and Marquez Beason, can finally be the team for which the “this is the year” moniker rings true, does he buy that explanation enough to do just that..,give it one more year? I don’t think it’s out of the question that he would.

Please note, I’m not suggesting this is what Josh SHOULD do. I’m merely talking through the scenarios of what I believe he COULD do. Don’t come beat me up for saying Lovie should be safe. That’s not the conversation.
Personal opinion is that because of better talent, not results so far, the bar is at 4 wins. At 3 he basically has no choice but to let him go unless Whitman is will to take some heavy heat for the next year and fund raising could dry up. 4 wins he can make a case for why it should and will be better next year. 5 wins and Lovie is completely safe. At this point, I’d give a 25% chance of 5 wins, 50% chance of 4 wins, and 25% chance of 3 wins. Theoretical slight chance of only 2 or 6 wins.
 
Personal opinion is that because of better talent, not results so far, the bar is at 4 wins. At 3 he basically has no choice but to let him go unless Whitman is will to take some heavy heat for the next year and fund raising could dry up. 4 wins he can make a case for why it should and will be better next year. 5 wins and Lovie is completely safe. At this point, I’d give a 25% chance of 5 wins, 50% chance of 4 wins, and 25% chance of 3 wins. Theoretical slight chance of only 2 or 6 wins.
You may be right. I’m not saying you are necessarily, nobody knows at this point. My thought might be entirely incorrect as well, we’ll have to wait and see but I think you may be right on this.

Obviously Josh’s decision will not be based on results, we don’t have any positive results. It’ll be based on your point about better talent. And Lovie might be able to sell that. It’s going to be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Bigger part of the equation may be early feelers on which candidates out there might be interested in this job. If those come back with duds, Josh has a tough one on his hands.
 
Likes: KevinC
The Illini football pragram is a disaster and a major embarrasment and there's a pungent odor about it.

Fire Lovie, fire Whitman, fire the staff.

But what's next? De-commits and transfers like crazy and another re-building program Boy, another 5 years of hope.

The last great season was 2007. - 12! Count them: Twelve years ago. Unacceptable. Beyond reason. Unbelievable!

Good Lord, I wish Dick Butkus and former Illini would take over and let U of I hierarchy know that this program stinks.

But admin doesn't care, not at Illinois. Yes, at Michigan and THE OSU., they care.

Farewell, Illinois this autumn.

The college football program I should always follow and support: THE NIU, my alma mater. The Fighting Huskies! Don't want to blame Illini players, but they need quality coaching and leadership.
 
Last edited:
4 wins he can make a case for why it should and will be better next year.
4-8, upgrade to talent level, depth and experience, an easier schedule, and then 4-8 again? But a magic wand makes it better next year?

Perry Mason couldn't make that case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.