2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Campbell and Candle were two of Beckman's original hires at Toledo, as OL and WR coach, respectively.

Totally understand. Both were huge reasons why he had any success at all in Toledo. And in my heart they both knew he was overcooked lasagna.

Totally understand. Both were huge reasons why he had any success at all in Toledo. And in my heart they both knew he was overcooked lasagna.

The whispers that Campbell was the real brains at Toledo began almost immediately after Beckman was hired. A lot of us here (me, for one) didn’t want to hear it.

The whispers that Campbell was the real brains at Toledo began almost immediately after Beckman was hired. A lot of us here (me, for one) didn’t want to hear it.

We all shut ourselves off from the fact that only a couple of his assistants followed and what that mean. That should have been such a huge red flag.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Oh heck, I guess I know it's my responsibility to just list out a bunch of names to get this thing into high gear. Let's kinda go by category:

Power Five Head Coaches Who Might Leave For Illinois:
Justin Wilcox, Cal - Cal has enormous financial trouble, they would have a hard time paying up to keep Wilcox if a Lovie-sized offer came. Good DC at Wisky.

Potentially Appealing Power Five Head Coaches Who Might Get Fired:
Gus Malzahn, Auburn - If they're dumb enough to fire him, every open job in the country should be all over him. Elite coach in an impossible job.
Clay Helton, USC - I would probably pass.
Willie Taggart, Florida State - I would probably pass as well.
Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech - If it goes so bad this year that VT actually pulls the trigger, I would have significant doubts.

Mid-Major Coaches Who Would Probably Say No:
Mike Norvell, Memphis - Great resume, and has proven to have a great eye for assistants, which is key. Already makes a bunch of money, can be choosy.
Luke Fickell, Cincinnati - Seems like an inevitable Big Ten coach who has a Big Ten-ready staff. Has to be on any list, but will have many suitors.
Jeff Tedford, Fresno State - Older guy with a pretty comfortable job at his alma mater and no ties to the Midwest, but a heck of a coach.

(For completeness, I'd say Dana Holgorsen, Josh Heupel, Bryan Harsin and Kalani Sitake are so certain to say no they aren't worth listing)

Triple Option Guys
Jeff Monken, Army - The best choice and if you don't agree you're wrong.
Paul Johnson, Retread - Also had a ton of success!
Ken Niumatalolo, Navy - Also had a ton of success!
Brian Bohannon, Kennesaw State - Also had a ton of success!
(Any of the four could be plausible candidates here, but Monken is so clearly the one likeliest to be a match for us that the others don't bear a ton of mention)

Mid-Major Coaches Likelier To Say Yes
MAC
Lance Leipold, Buffalo - D3 dynasty at UW-Whitewater, and has raised a moribund Buffalo program to unprecedented heights
Chris Creighton, Eastern Michigan - Also successful at several lower levels, and we've all seen what he's turned a near-death EMU program into
Jim McElwain, Central Michigan - Basically a retread from Florida, has a tough gig ahead of him at CMU
Tim Lester, Western Michigan - An Illinois native who has done okay with Fleck's players, but is a breakout candidate this year.
Jason Candle, Toledo - A record pretty indistinguishable from Campbell and Beckman. So which is he?

AAC
Willie Fritz, Tulane - Would need a big year to get in the picture, but he's won his way all the way up the HC ladder. A Jerry Kill-like resume. Older guy though.
Rod Carey, Temple - Better known for his success at Northern Illinois, Big Ten background, known to be itching for bigger things.
Sonny Dykes, SMU - Looks like a breakout candidate this year. Better at Cal than the record reflects. Good staff of big time Texas recruiters.

Sun Belt
Billy Napier, Louisiana-Lafayette - Served under both Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney, how many can say that? ULL might be real good this year.
Blake Anderson, Arkansas State - Nothing fancy, has just won there consistently now for several years.
Jake Spavital, Texas State - The Doogie Howser boy genius of college football is now 34! But looks like Texas State stinks, probably needs time

CUSA
Seth Littrell, North Texas - Lost Graham Harrell to USC, could they reunite if Clay Helton gets fired? Interesting to see how N. Texas does this year.
Bill Clark, UAB - A superhero for what he's done at a UAB program that gave itself the literal death penalty for two years. No local ties, but still, hire this man.
Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech - Tech has been good under him, but I'd need them to be better to wash off the stink from his South Florida tenure.
Lane Kiffin, Florida Atlantic - Looks like they're bad again this year, and it's tough to take him seriously if he can't win at a gig like that.

Mountain West
Jay Norvell, Nevada - I thought he was a sleeper this year, strong Big Ten background, but after that Purdue upset they've wobbled. Will the big year materialize?
Craig Bohl, Wyoming - A terrific coach who has built a good program there after creating the monster at NDSU, but he's already 61.

Big Time Assistants Who Might Say No
Dave Aranda, DC, LSU - Just slaughtered the Iowa/MSU type offenses at Wisconsin. Already makes huge money. Is he a chalk-stained career DC type?
Mike Elko, DC, Texas A&M - Terrific at Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and TAMU. Also a big money possible career DC guy.
Brent Venables, DC, Clemson - Has turned down interest all over the place, I really think he probably is the career DC type. Also a total nutbar.
Pete Golding, DC, Alabama - Every Saban DC always ends up on these lists, but not sure why Golding would be appealing or a fit
Chip Long, OC, Notre Dame - Highly regarded offensive mind, former Illinois TE coach under Zook. I kinda think he'd say yes. Very young.
Tony Elliott, OC, Clemson - Reigning Broyles Award winner for best assistant nationally. Screams future HC. Why us?

Big Time Assistants Likelier To Say Yes
Graham Harrell, OC, USC - You hear buzz about him being a Lincoln Riley type. But he's stuck with an 18 year old an QB and might get fired. Would we dare?
Mike Tressel, DC, Michigan State - Jim's nephew. Been with Dantonio forever. Good recruiter, has stolen in-state kids from us.

Lower Level Coaches
Curt Mallory, Indiana State - Remember him? Former Illini DC, has a breakout candidate in FCS.
Brock Spack, Illinois State - Meh. The FCS ranks have been pretty thoroughly mined for talent in recent years.

NFL
Hard Pass

The Retread Bin
Todd Graham, ex-Arizona State - Been good instantly at four different stops, developed great assistants, and is still youngish. Also, everyone hates him.
Bret Bielema, ex-Arkansas - Was actually kinda good at Arkansas, and obviously great at Wisky. Swears he's never going back to college.
Bo Pelini, ex-Nebraska - Speaking of everyone hates him! Hasn't been very good at Youngstown State and Whitman would never hire him.
Steve Sarkisian, ex-USC - Current Bama OC. People kinda hate him too, no Midwest ties, and can he be trusted to behave himself?
Major Applewhite, ex-Houston - Did absolutely nothing wrong and recruited the heck out of Texas, though Houston is a pretty easy job.
Greg Schiano, ex-Rutgers - My feelings summed up by a White Stripes song: "I'm Lonely, But I Ain't That Lonely Yet"

illini80

Forgottonia
Oh heck, I guess I know it's my responsibility to just list out a bunch of names to get this thing into high gear. Let's kinda go by category:

Justin Wilcox, Cal - Cal has enormous financial trouble, they would have a hard time paying up to keep Wilcox if a Lovie-sized offer came. Good DC at Wisky.

Gus Malzahn, Auburn - If they're dumb enough to fire him, every open job in the country should be all over him. Elite coach in an impossible job.
Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech - If it goes so bad this year that VT actually pulls the trigger, I would have significant doubts.

Mike Norvell, Memphis - Great resume, and has proven to have a great eye for assistants, which is key. Already makes a bunch of money, can be choosy.
Luke Fickell, Cincinnati - Seems like an inevitable Big Ten coach who has a Big Ten-ready staff. Has to be on any list, but will have many suitors.
Jeff Tedford, Fresno State - Older guy with a pretty comfortable job at his alma mater and no ties to the Midwest, but a heck of a coach.

(For completeness, I'd say Dana Holgorsen, Josh Heupel, Bryan Harsin and Kalani Sitake are so certain to say no they aren't worth listing)

Triple Option Guys
(Any of the four could be plausible candidates here, but Monken is so clearly the one likeliest to be a match for us that the others don't bear a ton of mention)

MAC
Lance Leipold, Buffalo - D3 dynasty at UW-Whitewater, and has raised a moribund Buffalo program to unprecedented heights
Chris Creighton, Eastern Michigan - Also successful at several lower levels, and we've all seen what he's turned a near-death EMU program into
Jim McElwain, Central Michigan - Basically a retread from Florida, has a tough gig ahead of him at CMU
Tim Lester, Western Michigan - An Illinois native who has done okay with Fleck's players, but is a breakout candidate this year.
Jason Candle, Toledo - A record pretty indistinguishable from Campbell and Beckman. So which is he?

AAC
Willie Fritz, Tulane - Would need a big year to get in the picture, but he's won his way all the way up the HC ladder. A Jerry Kill-like resume. Older guy though.
Rod Carey, Temple - Better known for his success at Northern Illinois, Big Ten background, known to be itching for bigger things.
Sonny Dykes, SMU - Looks like a breakout candidate this year. Better at Cal than the record reflects. Good staff of big time Texas recruiters.

Sun Belt
Billy Napier, Louisiana-Lafayette - Served under both Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney, how many can say that? ULL might be real good this year.
Blake Anderson, Arkansas State - Nothing fancy, has just won there consistently now for several years.
Jake Spavital, Texas State - The Doogie Howser boy genius of college football is now 34! But looks like Texas State stinks, probably needs time

CUSA
Seth Littrell, North Texas - Lost Graham Harrell to USC, could they reunite if Clay Helton gets fired? Interesting to see how N. Texas does this year.
Bill Clark, UAB - A superhero for what he's done at a UAB program that gave itself the literal death penalty for two years. No local ties, but still, hire this man.
Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech - Tech has been good under him, but I'd need them to be better to wash off the stink from his South Florida tenure.
Lane Kiffin, Florida Atlantic - Looks like they're bad again this year, and it's tough to take him seriously if he can't win at a gig like that.

Mountain West
Jay Norvell, Nevada - I thought he was a sleeper this year, strong Big Ten background, but after that Purdue upset they've wobbled. Will the big year materialize?
Craig Bohl, Wyoming - A terrific coach who has built a good program there after creating the monster at NDSU, but he's already 61.

Dave Aranda, DC, LSU - Just slaughtered the Iowa/MSU type offenses at Wisconsin. Already makes huge money. Is he a chalk-stained career DC type?
Mike Elko, DC, Texas A&M - Terrific at Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and TAMU. Also a big money possible career DC guy.
Brent Venables, DC, Clemson - Has turned down interest all over the place, I really think he probably is the career DC type. Also a total nutbar.
Pete Golding, DC, Alabama - Every Saban DC always ends up on these lists, but not sure why Golding would be appealing or a fit
Chip Long, OC, Notre Dame - Highly regarded offensive mind, former Illinois TE coach under Zook. I kinda think he'd say yes. Very young.
Tony Elliott, OC, Clemson - Reigning Broyles Award winner for best assistant nationally. Screams future HC. Why us?

Graham Harrell, OC, USC - You hear buzz about him being a Lincoln Riley type. But he's stuck with an 18 year old an QB and might get fired. Would we dare?
Mike Tressel, DC, Michigan State - Jim's nephew. Been with Dantonio forever. Good recruiter, has stolen in-state kids from us.

Lower Level Coaches
Curt Mallory, Indiana State - Remember him? Former Illini DC, has a breakout candidate in FCS.
Brock Spack, Illinois State - Meh. The FCS ranks have been pretty thoroughly mined for talent in recent years.

NFL
Hard Pass

The Retread Bin
Todd Graham, ex-Arizona State - Been good instantly at four different stops, developed great assistants, and is still youngish. Also, everyone hates him.
Bret Bielema, ex-Arkansas - Was actually kinda good at Arkansas, and obviously great at Wisky. Swears he's never going back to college.
Bo Pelini, ex-Nebraska - Speaking of everyone hates him! Hasn't been very good at Youngstown State and Whitman would never hire him.
Steve Sarkisian, ex-USC - Current Bama OC. People kinda hate him too, no Midwest ties, and can he be trusted to behave himself?
Major Applewhite, ex-Houston - Did absolutely nothing wrong and recruited the heck out of Texas, though Houston is a pretty easy job.
Greg Schiano, ex-Rutgers - My feelings summed up by a White Stripes song: "I'm Lonely, But I Ain't That Lonely Yet"
Wow, that’s quite a list! Thanks for the rundown.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Triple Option Guys

MAC

AAC

Sun Belt

CUSA

Mountain West

Lower Level Coaches

NFL
Hard Pass

The Retread Bin

This is a great post.

Could you elaborate a bit on why Monken is your no-brainer pick?

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Could you elaborate a bit on why Monken is your no-brainer pick?

1. Illinois native whose whole family are IL high school football coaches
2. Triple Option takes advantage of unique opportunities in Midwest recruiting, players who don't fit elsewhere would fit us
3. There is zero chance he's still at Army if people weren't irrationally scared of the offense. It's an objectively superior resume to anyone else we could get.
4. I love option football.

1. Illinois native whose whole family are IL high school football coaches
2. Triple Option takes advantage of unique opportunities in Midwest recruiting, players who don't fit elsewhere would fit us
3. There is zero chance he's still at Army if people weren't irrationally scared of the offense. It's an objectively superior resume to anyone else we could get.
4. I love option football.

Can you expand upon 2?

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Can you expand upon 2?

Smaller, quicker linemen. Bigger, less quick-twitch RB's. WR/TE hybrid types. And obviously QB's like Isaiah Williams

That should really be #1 on the list. Isaiah Williams was born to run this system.

Smaller, quicker linemen. Bigger, less quick-twitch RB's. WR/TE hybrid types. And obviously QB's like Isaiah Williams

That should really be #1 on the list. Isaiah Williams was born to run this system.
Nebraska is going to be 320-340 on OL let's see how that goes, Corbin and Epstein (when healthy) did very well, Beebe and Barker are that now, agreed on IW. Next year.

Nebraska is going to be 320-340 on OL let's see how that goes, Corbin and Epstein (when healthy) did very well, Beebe and Barker are that now, agreed on IW. Next year.
We're a good run blocking OL, we are adjusting to a QB who can pass. Also Ford next year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19448

D
Option guy would be interesting. It can work. GA Tech had a pretty good stretch under Johnson. Would definitely give the program an identity that it hasn’t had for a long time. I suspect a pure triple option would need to have more passing game elements to have consistent success in Big Ten. Just a guess on my part

Deleted member 29907

D
And here is a discussion of the risks and rewards of the triple option.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ege-footballs-power-five-dont-use/1456619002/
Josh: "Hi Betty, good news, bad news. The good news is the players really enjoy the new Football Performance Center, thank you again for the ginormous sums of money your family donated to make it happen. The bad news is, we're really focused now on a new offense that only will attract / require mid level talent to be successful. We imagine we might, perhaps, maybe, be able to win more games - no guarantees of course, heh, heh. But hey! - looks like we really didn't need that new facility to attract this new level of talent after all! Who knew? right? We do thank you for literally buying into the vision though. Well, I've got to go - I've got Jimmy Boeheim on line 2 - he's got this very interesting BBall defense I'd like to take a look at - don't tell coach Underwood if you happen to run into him. "

Deleted member 654622

D
Wake up this morning and a lot of IL writers start following FootballScoop Staff on twitter now. There is where you can get some good info.

BZuppke

Plainfield
No option please. It’s boring and while it has led to some success, no team has really excelled with it at the Power 5 level.

Bielema would work well here. He understands the college game, is an Illinois native and well attuned to Big Ten football and can likely assemble a good staff. It’s an easy pick actually. While we all want Lovie to succeed he was an odd fit from the start but we all wanted to believe that his nfl star power would lead to recruiting success etc. he’s not a great coach. Period.

No option please. It’s boring and while it has led to some success, no team has really excelled with it at the Power 5 level.

Bielema would work well here. He understands the college game, is an Illinois native and well attuned to Big Ten football and can likely assemble a good staff. It’s an easy pick actually. While we all want Lovie to succeed he was an odd fit from the start but we all wanted to believe that his nfl star power would lead to recruiting success etc. he’s not a great coach. Period.

AD should go all in on Bielema with a big offer. But it seems he is looking for a coordinator or hc position at the NFL level now. He should be the first person Whitman calls though.

Status
Not open for further replies.