2019-20 Coaching Discussion/Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
I'm not sure that I entirely agree with this. We had two safeties that hadn't played a single snap at safety this season. Also, one of those two had been out the season and most of the preseason with an injury.
That is understandable but I wasn't really talking about the safeties sadly. Quan let his man get behind him when it was man coverage for a long TD pass and ALL our DE looks like dog crap in the RPO. Those were my main issues

Deleted member 29907

D
That is understandable but I wasn't really talking about the safeties sadly. Quan let his man get behind him when it was man coverage for a long TD pass and ALL our DE looks like dog crap in the RPO. Those were my main issues
Yeah, and I think it was Robert who stated that EMU played like 12 or so more players (I don't recall the exact number) in rotation than we did and by the looks of it, their 2nd or 3rd in seemed to have a good grasp of what they were supposed to do. If you think about it - the Smalling TD and BheBhe's catches on the drive to tie the game were actually well defended - our guys just made good plays. Serious lack of preparedness on the part of our team D and NO visible correcting going on at the field level.

As much as I'd like Lovie to succeed, part of me believes the game is just past him now. His Tampa 2 scheme worked in the NFL 10 years ago. Since being fired by the Bears, he hasn't really shown his coaching is any good, not even average. With RPO and Air Raid taking over, I think his time is done. 0 NFL teams are Tampa 2 now, I think it's just over. His scheme doesn't work anymore, and he isn't good enough to coach out of it or adapt. Ron Rivera was the Bears magic on D, not Lovie.

Yeah, and I think it was Robert who stated that EMU played like 12 or so more players (I don't recall the exact number) in rotation than we did and by the looks of it, their 2nd or 3rd in seemed to have a good grasp of what they were supposed to do. If you think about it - the Smalling TD and BheBhe's catches on the drive to tie the game were actually well defended - our guys just made good plays. Serious lack of preparedness on the part of our team D and NO visible correcting going on at the field level.

They also played without their best defensive back, Kevin McGill, one of the better players in the MAC as a whole. Rolled his ankle against Kentucky, don’t quite remember if it was anything more serious than that.

As much as I'd like Lovie to succeed, part of me believes the game is just past him now. His Tampa 2 scheme worked in the NFL 10 years ago. Since being fired by the Bears, he hasn't really shown his coaching is any good, not even average. With RPO and Air Raid taking over, I think his time is done. 0 NFL teams are Tampa 2 now, I think it's just over. His scheme doesn't work anymore, and he isn't good enough to coach out of it or adapt. Ron Rivera was the Bears magic on D, not Lovie.

I suspect you are right - on the Tampa 2 stuff.

But, I think the problem is even deeper. Lovie and Josh, I suspect, thought that kids would come to UoI in droves because of Lovie's name. Well, they did not. As a result (and injuries) the talent on D is not where it should be. And, Lovie, in his infinite wisdom, is unwilling to change. We have orange-colored glasses, he has Tampa 2.

Learn to live with it. And, free tickets for students - as long as Lovie is there and not wining.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I suspect you are right - on the Tampa 2 stuff.

But, I think the problem is even deeper. Lovie and Josh, I suspect, thought that kids would come to UoI in droves because of Lovie's name. Well, they did not. As a result (and injuries) the talent on D is not where it should be. And, Lovie, in his infinite wisdom, is unwilling to change. We have orange-colored glasses, he has Tampa 2.

Learn to live with it. And, free tickets for students - as long as Lovie is there and not wining.
To Lovie's defense, he did change and at least start mining the transfer portal. Can you imagine this team without the transfers?

I personally think the bigger problem is not the talent on the field but the lack of talent by the folks getting paid. The Tampa 2 might work if it were well-coached but any scheme is going to fail if the fundamentals are missing.

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Matt Ruhle. I don't know much about him except he had a decent run at Temple and now seems to be having some success digging Baylor out of the hole they were in. Looking at his Wiki page, he's 44. Went 28-23 at Temple, but 20-7 his last two years there. Baylor went 1-11 in his first season there and then 7-6 and beat Vandy in a bowl game last year. They're 2-0 this year. He isn't a Texas guy -- from East Coast -- and played at Penn St., so BIG HC job could be appealing.

There is zero chance Matt Ruhle would come to Illinois. He has had NFL interviews and could get the best college job that opens up.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
The benefit of someone like Aranda is you already know you would strongly consider him regardless to how this season goes. Can make a phone call to his agent to see if there would even be interest (through a search firm, if necessary).

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Lovie and Josh, I suspect, thought that kids would come to UoI in droves because of Lovie's name.

I'm not sure it was as much Lovie's name per se as it was a guy who would clearly know what it takes to make the NFL.

But this is a red herring. The problem is not that we haven't gotten kids to come here. It's that once they're here they are poorly coached.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'm not sure it was as much Lovie's name per se as it was a guy who would clearly know what it takes to make the NFL.

But this is a red herring. The problem is not that we haven't gotten kids to come here. It's that once they're here they are poorly coached.

It hasn't worked out the way we would have hoped across a number of dimensions.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Two reactions from Tulane's thrilling win over Houston last night:

1. Huh, maybe Major Applewhite wasn't so bad after all.
2. Don't look now, but Willie Fritz might be performing a mind-bending miracle for the third job in a row. Tulane is the Rutgers of the AAC, they have no business there.
2b. October 5th, Tulane at Army, 11AM on CBSSN, big time Coaching Search Theater.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Tim Beck...man I hadn’t even considered him!

giphy.gif

If tomorrow is like the Iowa game last year...

Does Whitman can Lovie during the bye week and make Rod the interim? Or is that even possible given the fact that there is no clear DC to take over in this scenario?

Deleted member 654622

D

Does Whitman can Lovie during the bye week and make Rod the interim? Or is that even possible given the fact that there is no clear DC to take over in this scenario?
That's actually a good question

I don't agree. While the Illinois job isn't as attractive as many P5 jobs, $4-5M a year is a pretty big carrot. To use Jeff Monken as an example, Illinois could quadruple his present salary. That would be a pretty nice raise. I think the key is going to be finding a candidate that we want, but someone who isn't the hottest name on the coaching list (Chip Long, for example).

So I'm not worried about finding someone to take the job. And I think Whitman will make a decent choice, just as he did with Lovie. I liked the Lovie hire, but was concerned whether he'd be able to have success in the college game. I think this season is going to provide ample evidence that he's not the right choice for us moving forward. But I don't look at his hiring as a terrible blunder, like the Beckman hire was. Lovie is a respectable, decent guy who represents the university well. He's going to leave the program in a better state than it was when he arrived. I'll always appreciate everything he's done for this program. It's been really nice to have a non-clownish, thoughtful guy in the job. Now let's go take the next step, and find someone that can take us up another notch.
Good points.....no need to start the "...but we'll lose all respect and recruits and our program will be a dumpster fire" hysteria.....WE lose nothing when Lovie either leaves on his own or as a result of firing....like the old song..." Nothing from nothing leaves nothing"

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
That's actually a good question

Yeah any interim scenario would be a really tricky situation with Lovie and Miles Smith representing three of the five positions of oversight over the defense. But September is way too early in any event. The only coaches I can remember getting fired in September were Charlie Weis and Lane Kiffin, and those were situations where everybody in the program hating them was actively destabilizing the situation. There's no indication that we're in that scenario.

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO

If we get curb stomped like that, the very least of my concerns is finding someone capable of replacing Lovie as DC.

The roster is without doubt better. I have all kinds of patience as long as we are moving in the right direction. A 63-0 this year is not the right direction.

illini80

Forgottonia

I’d bet the Vegas odds against that. And I don’t even know what the odds are, but they probably have them!

IlliniReb

Dallas-Fort Worth
Seth Lettrell

(Justed wanted to bump this thread after giving up 700 Freaking Yards!)

But seriously, Seth Lettrell

Status
Not open for further replies.